Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Commander Restoration  (Read 13214 times)

inertia

Re: Sea Commander Restoration
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 09:49:02 am »

AhI've been trying to figure that one out, I think the scale of this model is 1:24?
Si
That would make "the full size" 68 feet long! I think the model is nearer to 1/12 scale.
DM

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 09:49:14 am »

:-)) Hi,Si,the scale is 1/24 and the figure came from Cornwall model boats,the set up is brushless and is very fast and easy to get on the plane, this boat is a lot of fun and very solid can take a lot of knocks which is a good thing with an old git like me on the radio transmitter,so enjoy your build and I am sure you will have a lot fun on the water for many years to come,Ray. :-))     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:12 am »

:-)) I tried a 1/12 figure from my Princess and it looked far too large might be me or the scale is between the two figures,Ray. :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:06 am »

It's about 100mm from the cockpit floor to the bottom of the windscreen and about 120mm to the top.

A 6ft 1:24 figure would be approx 76mm tall which must be too small.  A 6ft 1:12 figure is approx 152mm high.

I know it's a semi scale model, but would the captain normally be sitting or standing in this type of boat?

If he/she is sitting 1:12 might make more sense.

Si

inertia

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 11:53:33 am »

Here is the link to a head-on photo of a Fairey Huntsman 31 at speed. The boat is 31 feet long. You can see that the head of the helmsman is above the level of the windscreen frame. One assumes that he is standing, because the lady passenger is too close to him for them both to be sitting (the seats are about 2 feet apart). I think on balance the model is closest to 1/12 scale; don't forget that is a pretty cramped cockpit and not the bridge of a service vessel. Six feet is also a little tall for an average-height figure.
That said, please suit yourself; it's your model.
https://picasaweb.google.com/116493500049865636778/1973No29BateauxMouche#5600628367247297346
DM

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »

Thanks DM (may I call you Dave?),

Those photos are great and will come in useful when I start my huntsman! Now to find some suitable figures / fittings in 1/12 scale....

Si

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:18 pm »

:-)) Hi,Si,the scale is 1/24 and the figure came from Cornwall model boats,the set up is brushless and is very fast and easy to get on the plane, this boat is a lot of fun and very solid can take a lot of knocks which is a good thing with an old git like me on the radio transmitter,so enjoy your build and I am sure you will have a lot fun on the water for many years to come,Ray. :-))   

I forgot to ask, what motor/esc/prop/battery brushless combo are you using in this boat?

I have a Turnigy D3536/6 1250Kv outrunner to fit and will run it with somewhere between 7.2-14.4v lipo. I have a some cheap 35mm 2 bladed props to experiment with, the boat was fitted with an old 3 bladed 35mm prop.

inertia

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 11:05:46 pm »

Thanks DM (may I call you Dave?),
Those photos are great and will come in useful when I start my huntsman! Now to find some suitable figures / fittings in 1/12 scale....
Si
'Dave' is fine - much better than some of the names I've been called. There are hundreds of photos on the Fairey Owners Club website; I'm just using Bateau Mouche as a basis for my new Huntsman.
DM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.