Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC won't work old as hills  (Read 8843 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC won't work old as hills
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 10:02:46 am »

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/PowerInnovations/mXrvuzy.pdf
TIP36 is a quite humpty power transistor.  The center pin is connected to +ve power, it is also connected to the mounting tab, so the mounting needs to be insulated, usually fibre washers and a mica shim.  It is controlled by having a negative voltage applied to the "base" connection (pin 1 on the pdf link) which causes it to switch on.  With a quick dab of soldering iron it should be possible to disconnect it.  Applying power, if the motor runs, the transistor is broken, but is very replaceable.  Since it is not the best amplifier in the world, it needs a fair bit of power to drive it.  Just as with the Hitec gold bricks, there will likely be a power resistor somewhere near worked right at its limits, which will have fried everything within 5mm.  At this point, Umi's suggestion is a damn fine idea.
The other transistor has two possible uses - it switches the ground (-ve) line and could be either the driver for the TIP36 of it could be the relay switcher.  http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/TIP41A-D.PDF 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 11:22:22 am »

Thank you one and all. :-)) :-))
Have learnt quite a bit out of all this, especially what simple practical tests to carry out. O0 O0
How much will I retain???????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 11:54:17 am »

An inexpensive modern ESC with BEC would offer improvement in performance and reliability. Replacing the nicads with lipo would bring further performance benefits and also improve running times.

inertia

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 12:37:49 pm »

An inexpensive modern ESC with BEC would offer improvement in performance and reliability. Replacing the nicads with lipo would bring further performance benefits and also improve running times.
Yeah; totally agreed, m'duck - but that would be like 'renovating' an old model by building a new one. At the end of the day it will likely come to that, but imagine the feeling if you were to replace the chip and suddenly the whole thing worked like a new one. The fun is in the fiddling about!
DM

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »

Ah, okay, fair enough. Never had much interest in preserving old electronics unless they offer something that can't be achieved with more contemporary gear.

inertia

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 01:54:25 pm »

Ah, okay, fair enough. Never had much interest in preserving old electronics unless they offer something that can't be achieved with more contemporary gear.
They're usually free............... 8)   
There's a whole crowd of aeromodellers who fly with the old pushbutton single channel radios and rubber-driven escapements - to the extent of having them made on 2.4GHz - and another bunch who are addicted to the multi-channel reed sets and aerobatic models of the late 50s and 60s. I had little time for this sort of nostalgia until I was commissioned to build my all-time favourite aeroplane (Ed Kazmirski's 'Orion'). Immediately I was scouring the world for a working K&B 45 engine, VECO wheels, real DuBro quick-links etc. If I could have found a Space Control* or Bonner Digimite proportional radio to put in it I would have been in modelling heaven.
Strange, isn't it?
*For those who think that we've always had multi-channel proportional radio sets for the price of a decent pair of jeans, here's a little piece of modelling history. http://www.rchalloffame.org/Manufacturer/SpaceControl/history/
I remember Roger Allton and Geoffrey Pike flying their Orions with Space Control systems on Tollerton aerodrome in the late 50s.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2015, 02:30:52 pm »

I can understand some of thtat a little more, e.g. the use of push button controls etc. It's a very different way to control than full proportional. However noted that they often use them with modern tuners.

In the case of this model, I don't see any real romance in using an early esc, but if the builder gains pleasure from tinkering, that's fine by me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.