Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the globe  (Read 1670 times)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
the globe
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:29 am »

the largest container ship in Felixstowe...19,100 std 20ft containers...bbc news...in 53 days a new larger one is due to sail.....tony

slug

• Full Mayhemer
Re: the globe
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:43:37 am »

that's the beast....regards tony

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30696685

This is the link to the bbc article. Very informative, but you have to ask as they did, just how big can they get?

Another thing struck me as I read it. It only has a crew of 23, how long before we see crewless ships? This sort of ship would be next to impossible to scale from a pirate point of view. Then with todays gps technology it only takes someone with a bit of computer skill to make them crewless and safe to ply the ocean free of the threat of hijacking. I suppose a pilot could be put aboard by helicopter on appoach to port.

You only have to look at the container terminal at Zeebrugge, it is virtually controlled by computer, no men. The cranes lift containers off then onto trucks that follow magnetic tracks in the road. All done to a pre planned computer programme, The containers go on as per plan at one port and the computers at the receiving port lift them off, no men in the cranes, trucks or anything.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

There was a crew less concept ship in last months Sea Breezes mag ,also I have had a tour of one of Hamburgs container terminals this also was worked by a hand full of staff all cranes and container movement was robotic ,so I think we are there ,it just takes lot of nerve and a bit of faith O and tons of cash.
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.