Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 11766 times)

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
Windows 10 is coming
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:42:20 pm »

Microsoft have announced Windows 10 is coming and for the first year will be a free
upgrade for anyone operating Windows 8, 7 and windows phone.
Windows 8 had a very slow upgrade (and several teething problems)
so this is the reason for the apparently generous offer.
Question is - should we or shouldn't we jump in  or should we let others have all
headaches and we will upgrade in 8 to 10 months time when they have been
ironed out.

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

klz

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:02:25 pm »

We have a beta version at work I have not had chance to play with it yet but the guys testing it have not said anything bad about it.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:15:24 pm »

I hope they drop that imbecilic Metro interface and the default 'touch screen' setting!
 Must admit, the OS itself was fast and intelligent.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:23 pm »

Apparently you have a choice of metro on or off when I looked in on the testing they had turned it all off and it looked a lot like windows 7. I will ask the guys  tomorrow what they think and see if I can get a few screen shots.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:29:30 pm »

I Like W8.1   :-)) so by,  bypassing 9 should be good !!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:09 pm »

I Like W8.1   :-))

Mayhem does offers psychiatric help as required!   :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »

Bill & Melinda providing computing systems without cost!....... %% ......there must be a catch  <*< ...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »

Mayhem does offer psychiatric help as required!   :P

%% %% %%

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:51:27 pm »

I understood it was being designated 10 to show a break from 8 which by all accounts was a commercial boo boo. Apparently Industry left it alone in their droves. A touch screen desk top was never going to be popular!
Don't Assume Check

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 10:20:59 pm »

I understood it was being designated 10 to show a break from 8 which by all accounts was a commercial boo boo. Apparently Industry left it alone in their droves. A touch screen desk top was never going to be popular!

I think there are a few theories around. The one I tend to believe is that it's because there were W95 and W98 in the past which together got called 9x. Many searches, software packages, drivers, etc., were therefore programmed to look for W9, W9* or whatever. So having an actual W9 could be 'interesting'. May well be wrong of course, but it's hard to see a good reason to arbitrarily skip 9.

We have three W7 PCs, so if they are giving W10 away as an upgrade I will almost certainly take the offer. On the 'alternating versions being good' history of Windows, 10 should be one of the good.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 10:27:00 pm »

There are still too many on XP, after several disasters from Vista onwards. 
8.1 at least fires up before the kettle boils, and once you have enabled the keyboard and a regular desktop it is quite usable.  Biggest plus with 8.1 is (File) Explorer is back again, although deeply buried as they want you to lose everything randomly in their "Sky" instead of filing it so you can find it and back it up.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:03 pm »

Looks like XP stalwarts will have to pay up then!
Bintur Ellenbach

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:30 pm »

I have just had to give in on XP and now using windows 8 I just hate it I cannot find anything where it used to be and wish I had not changed over!  <:(

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 11:58:27 pm »

Not sure about Industry but .. This is from one of the sites I run.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:22:53 am »

Bill & Melinda providing computing systems without cost!....... %% ......there must be a catch  <*< ...Derek

:o :o :o It is because they have more money than they can spend so they have to give it away. O0 O0 %) %)

What about XP  users >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:31 am »

What about XP  users >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Should have upgraded to win7 years ago!!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:55:02 am »

And HMRC are only just upgrading to win7 and then found that most of the apps on managers machines didn't work %%

LB

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 01:31:47 am »

>>:-(...many years ago my XP machine died

Purchased a new Vista machine on the recommendation of the supplier ........

Result!.......neither printer functioned, Ouickbooks did not work, TELSTRA did not support Explorer on Vista >>:-(...also had a few glitches with Office 2003

Returned the Vista machine & demanded an equivalent replacement functional XP machine........Harvey Norman weren't happy remonstrating that I all needed was to download new drivers

Was rather amusing listening to the Sales Manager telephoning Hewlett Packard, Epson, Intuit for Quicken and finally TELSTRA only to be told what I had suggested 60 minute's prior & so finally walked out with a replacement XP machine of higher spec than the Vista machine

Finally pensioned off the second XP machine to No 3 daughter & upgraded to a replacement Win7 machine.....which is still going great  :-))

I certainly will not be a guinea test pig for Win10 <*< even if the provision is for ZERO cost...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 03:07:14 am »

Seem to recall somewhere, might even be old age, that we will no longer be able to buy the operating system outright but pay an annual licence fee which will cover updates etc.

A few software providers already do this so Microsoft is going to cash in also.

Could be wrong but time will tell.

For instance, for those that race in, AKA fools, will they be able to revert back to 7 or 8 or will they be caught hook line and sinker.
Me I am gunna sit an watch. O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:48 am »

I'll stick with my Mac thanks
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:57 am »

XP is out of date but I do think that Vista owners are being treated badly. They were sold a poor system and are stuck with it.

I use 8.1 and like it. There is a learning curve but once you have it sorted the older versions feel very clunky.

History tells me that as the free Windows 10 offer is current for 12 months I should wait for the 1st service pack before jumping or at the very least wait until others tell me that it is OK, drivers are available for all my bits - or not - etc etc etc.

inertia

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:26 am »

XP is out of date but I do think that Vista owners are being treated badly. They were sold a poor system and are stuck with it.
Not quite all of us, m'duck. The HD on my XP machine died and the only system disk supplied when I bought the machine was Vista, despite the thing being supplied as dual-boot (XP or Vista). My man Huw wizzed his magic fingers over a few of the settings and it now runs like XP. I get the very occasional freeze-up and I've had to download a new DLL file in order to run AutoCAD R14, but other than that it's fine.
That said, I would still kill for an XP machine so that I can get all of the functions of AutoCAD running. IMHO R14 is much superior to the latest version of ACAD - and the price??!!!! They are 'avin' a larf!
W10 for a desktop? Just one question - why bother?
DM

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 09:32:52 am »

In the past week I upgraded my 10-year old confuser and moved from XP to 8.1.  As it came loaded on the machine the keyboard and desktop screen were working, and a little hunting around let me get going quite quickly.  Even my ancient laser printer (no drivers for 8.1 apparently) worked straight away.  That said, I still find it odd that a complex piece of software comes with no instructions whatsoever!  I know instruction books are so 20th Century but it might help to get going just a bit quicker  O0

I will probably go with W10 if what is said above is true - but I suspect RAAArtyGunner might have hit the nail on the head - after a year you get a message from Microsoft "In order to continue receiving essential security and performance upgrades to your Windows 10 product, please pay an annual charge of £xx.  Click here to pay."

But of course it is my duty and pleasure to ensure Bill Gates remains one of the richest men in the world.   %)  %)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 11:08:52 am »

Seem to recall somewhere, might even be old age, that we will no longer be able to buy the operating system outright but pay an annual licence fee which will cover updates etc.

A few software providers already do this so Microsoft is going to cash in also.

This is already the case with windows.

The small print says that you may have bought your copy of it from your local computer shop, but it remains the property of Microsoft and they can should they wish take it back from you with no recompense at any time! A case of buying something and then not owning it!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 11:13:07 am »

There has to be a catch somewhere along the line, they give nothing away for free. Is it time limited on use? ie do you install it only to find in 8 months time you are then expected to cough up a license fee once a year? who knows. Until the full details of the offer are released we won't know whether its a good or bad thing!

Again is it going to be like the latest messenger app, in that you have to let them have access to each and every file on your computer, like they do with their install on your phone or tablet? Not good if you want to have anything installed that may be slightly dodgy in respect of illegally aquired software!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 21 queries.