Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 11765 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:26 am »

My thoughts.

I like others I am wary of a 'free' upgrade. If the OS is 'free for the first year', the wording does suggest that it will be an annual renewal fee, a bit like office 365. I have been running the same version of Win7 and Office 2010 since they came out, with no annual renewals.

If it is free it may be that there are still a lot of bugs, but if they want to hit the release date they need to get it out with bugs and all. Speculation, on my part. But again, if there is an annual update fee they still get the money; just later.

Last week MS announced that they will no longer be offering free support for Win7. However, this I think only affects IT departments and the like, not Joe Public.

Vista was not very good.

Win7 was a huge improvement. However, it does not seem to want to support drivers for the new solid state memory drives (super fast and cheap).

XP was also very stable, but won't have the drivers for newer machines.
Also pirated versions of XP is on almost all computers in China. A good reason for MS to want to move on. MS said they were not supporting XP last year and the Chinese government were not happy and promptly banned Win8. Microsoft seems to offer extended support for China, but they deny this.

After years of resisting Apple, I was given an iPad for Xmas. I have had no problems and have spent zero hours on maintenance. I regularly spend about 6-10 hours a month on maintenance for my MS products, and I am only a light home user. That is one day a month of my 8 days a month free time.
I am seriously considering getting an Apple computer next time. Yes they cost more up front, but they will do anything I want to do that MS can do, and even run MS Office files. I think they are not so hot for gaming, but that is not my thing.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »

I'll stick with my Mac thanks
IMac - Not all that Apple PC's are cracked up to be!
My 5 month old machine had to have new motherboard. Went to collect it from dealer and two more were being returned with major problems that day. Not had major problems like that with all of my previous  (Microsoft) PCs in 25 years. First and last Mac for me.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 12:42:25 pm »

my laptop at home bought in 2008 is still running vista quite happily, its still on the original battery too (but only has about 10 minutes run time on battery now). yes it does take about 15 minutes to get it fired up from start, but since it never gets turned off I think its doing quite well. I still run a couple of XP machines for software that doesn't like newer (including the scanning software for my colour laserjet printer), but both the XP machines run all the time too, but are almost never logged on (one acts as a file server with about 3 Tb of hard drives - the other runs the printers (black and white and colour laser printers) which either need XP or a parallel port to connect to).
I also use a win 7 laptop and have a couple of dual boot XP/Linux machines for playing with.
Win 10 - not until I have tried it out at work maybe.
Grendel

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »

IMac - Not all that Apple PC's are cracked up to be!
My 5 month old machine had to have new motherboard. Went to collect it from dealer and two more were being returned with major problems that day. Not had major problems like that with all of my previous  (Microsoft) PCs in 25 years. First and last Mac for me.

I'm on my fifth.... never had any hardware issues.
I work in a 50/50 mixed mac/pc enviroment and would say the issues are probably 80/20 towards PCs
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »

This can happen to any manufacturer. A duff batch of something and there you go.
Back in 2005 my company bought all of us laptops, same make and model, and 60% of them were returned under warranty within 3 months.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 01:28:24 pm »

Seem to recall somewhere, might even be old age, that we will no longer be able to buy the operating system outright but pay an annual licence fee which will cover updates etc.

A few software providers already do this so Microsoft is going to cash in also.

Could be wrong but time will tell.

For instance, for those that race in, AKA fools, will they be able to revert back to 7 or 8 or will they be caught hook line and sinker.
Me I am gunna sit an watch. O0 O0

Looks like NO annual charge, just a realease badly worded..

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »

This laptop has Windows 7
My back up laptop has Windows 8.1
My back up to the back up laptop has Linux Mint
My antique steam driven desktop has Windows 98
My HP tablet has Windows 8.1

Out of them all, I prefer the one with Linux Mint...it's much easier to navigate around, doesn't suffer from virus's (virui?), but it can be a devil to boot up sometimes. 8.1 is a nightmare, every time the mouse even dares to sneeze I get all these horrible app things appear on the screen. 7 is far easier to use, but Linux takes some beating. It's like me...simple.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 04:57:08 pm »

For those with 8.1 who don't like 8.1, google "Classic View" - it is a free download that makes 8.1 look like 7 apparently - recommended to me by a friend who I trust, but I haven't actually tried it myself.  Not that peed off with 8.1 - yet!

On the subject of Microsoft support, during my recent computer update referred to in an earlier post, I had cause to call Microsoft support.  The lady was very helpful and took over my computer to do some stuff.  She then tried to sell me a support package at "only" £95 a year.  Apparently in the future if I need support involving similar handover of control it will cost £65 each time (or £95 for a year's cover).   >:-o  I declined.  (Ordinary verbal support is still free.)

Greg

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 05:10:44 pm »

I use 8.1 with Classic View and it is great .
I didn't download it. It was an option to click on.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 09:07:42 pm »

Looks like NO annual charge, just a realease badly worded..

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

In the world of politics and commerce tomorrow is another day.
As the wise sage put it if it sounds too good to be true leave it.
If it is such a good deal why is it not being trumpeted loud and clear near and far >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
The article specifically mentions no charges for bought versions not what happens when the year expires for the "Freebie"  >>:-( >>:-( O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:06 pm »

In the world of politics and commerce tomorrow is another day.
As the wise sage put it if it sounds too good to be true leave it.
If it is such a good deal why is it not being trumpeted loud and clear near and far >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
The article specifically mentions no charges for bought versions not what happens when the year expires for the "Freebie"  >>:-( >>:-( O0 O0

If a charge is applied, I delete it and go back to W8.1  Simples.. :}

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 11:46:51 pm »

Update: [/size]It seems there's still confusion. It is very clear from [/size]this post[/color][/size] that for the first year it's available, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you have Windows 7 or 8. You will not pay for it. After that year is up, nothing will happen to your Windows 10 license. If you do not upgrade within that year, however, you will have to pay for an upgrade. The [/size]offer[/size] expires after a year, not the upgrade.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 01:19:12 am »

As I say, what harm  8) can it do, download it in the first year ( maybe 6 month in ) try it, if you like it the super, if not delete and put old OS back on .. :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 01:39:34 am »

As I say, what harm  8) can it do,said the spider to the fly come into my web {-) {-) download it in the first year ( maybe 6 month in ) try it, if you like it the super, if not delete and put old OS back on .. :-))

Too good to be true and you don't know if you can go back. For Instance, we on XP could not update to later versions of IE unless we changed to at least Win 7, which also meant a new PC.
So it is in the realm of possibility you will be stuck with 10 or having to reformat and Buy 7/8 if it is still available.
Good luck with that. Me I will be talking to the Guru before jumping in.
The gurus still recommend XP. In fact it is essential for some industries/jobs.
The smart money is on, wait and see what happens to those who try to do what you suggest, namely revert back, but if you are a computer savvy person, of which we have a few, let us know how you get on.
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.