Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: black mould  (Read 5718 times)

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
black mould
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:49:50 pm »

Can anyone advise please,        My shed (man cave) roof interior is covered with black mould.    There is vents at both ends.       I've sprayed it with anti-mould and washed it off but it's come back again.       Is there a magic paint out there somewhere ?     Regards,  Geoff.
All my senior moments seem joined together these days.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: black mould
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »

Google anti mould paint, lots of advice and suggestions out there but it does appear that you are getting a build up of condensation despite the vents. Might be worth covering the affected surface with insulating board. It's always best if you can treat the cause rather than the symptoms.

Colin

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:20:35 pm »

Sound advice Colin, Thanks very much.    Regards.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »

Obviously you would need to clear all mould and seal the underside of the roof before applying insulating board.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

deepstar

• deepstar
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »

hi
have you check the roof for water entering  from the outside ??
is it felted  you only need small cracking or nail holes ??

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »

Thanks for that,  yes the roof is sealed with bitumen and is waterproof, no water getting in.    I think it's condensation by changes of temperature.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »

I covered my shed roof/s with box profile sheeting at a reasonable price - well worth it

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »

rubber gloves, a sponge and neat thick bleach, wipe it on and see the mould disappear. Do it in old clothes in case of splashes, in fact put holes in a bin liner and poke your head and arms through that. Then use your proprietary mould remover.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 05:53:35 pm »

Who says: moulds

Says: bad aeration

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »

The problem is that warmish air rises and condenses on cold surfaces and if the vents are below the roof level then you get pockets of condensation unless the air within the space is being circulated which it won't be if nobody is in the workshop so the best solution is to provide a relatively warm surface which discourages the condensation. The same thing happens in bathrooms where you often get mould in a corner of the wall and ceiling where the air is not disturbed.

Colin

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:00:23 pm »

Thanks very much boys, I'm on to it first thing.   Regards  Geoff C.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:48 pm »

First of all yes you can get anti mould paint Dulux and Crown sell kitchen and bathroom paint that's mould resistant but tha'ts not going to solve the problem it's also not ventilation as some are saying. What are you heating the shed with if it's not an electric heater then a gas or parafin heater will cause the condensation the only way to stop it completly is leave the electric fire on permantly on a low enough heat just to take the dampness out the air.
I have lathes and milling machines in my workshop and there as new condition after many years due to not letting the shed go stone cold then heating it for a short period while I'm in there I just a an electrice radiator on a thermostat just keeping it warm.

On another note I fit many air vents in bathrooms for customers and shortly after they call me telling the mould has appeared again I tell them to keep the bathroom warm all the time then the steam does not form condensation on the walls it works.  O0

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:04:56 pm »

hello Geoff

Had the same problem as you only in a bathroom and found the best solution for me was to fit a false ceiling, the type that are used in offices with a mental grid and insulated tiles. it also gave me the chance to have lights fitted where I needed them. They're easy to fit relatively cheap and being white make the room a lot brighter. Condensation does not form on the metal supports either. Plenty of companies on the internet do packages to fit your room size and courier delivery means fast delivery.

I should add that you still need forced ventilation, generally while your in there and for about half hour after so fan on some kind of delayed switch.

Paul.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:22 pm »

Beg/Borrow/Buy some ladies stockings.

Get some cheap odourless cat litter from a pound shop or similar (the expensive stuff is more aimed at deodourising than getting rid of liquid)

Fill the stockings with the cat litter and place around the man cave, even hang them from the ceiling if you can.
They really soak up the moisture.

Used this on classic cars before, a few socks filled with cat litter will keep the interior of a car quite mist free on a cold morning, should work well in a shed too.

Alex

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 01:42:49 pm »

yep and running with mice!

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:35:59 am »

Thinking a little more about your problem, while I realise that good ventilations is important I have an engineering workshop on the rear of my garage built this year that is accessed from outside the garage so has it's own door. The ceiling is insulated with 100mm foil covered hard yellow foam with an air gap at the top vented to the outside, although there is no heating in there when not used there is no mould showing on the ceiling and even this morning the ceiling is slightly warm to the touch.

Another method of insulation is a blanket of about 17 layers of foil and silvered bubble wrap material, around 25mm in thickness. This works on both walls and ceilings and is used in my loft conversion and comes in well above current building regs, there are no rads up there just the door left open when the house is occupied.

But as others have said, you need to get rid of condensation with ventilation first, I know this goes against the grain as you pumping out expensive heat but........

Hope this helps

Paul.

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:33:37 pm »

I never leave my workshed when it is warm  with working out there in the winter.

Open the door for  5-10 minutes before I pack up.

This lets it cool down to the outside temperature  and stops the machines from dripping with condensation as the temperature start to go cold in the workshed I give machines a clean off in that time.

Works for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.