Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless Speed Controllers  (Read 5479 times)

flack

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Brushless Speed Controllers
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:24:58 am »

I purchased two Turnigy D3542/5 1250 kv motors and hoped to pair them with a 90 or 120 amp  Turnigy  Aquastar speed controllers. Unfortunately these do not appear to support a reverse function and haven't been available for weeks.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone with any experience of the HobbyKing branded alternatives such as the HobbyKing 90A Boat ESC 4A SBEC or similar and also any experience of ordering and what level of p&p is appropriate in terms of delivery times when ordered from the International warehouse, it appears to vary from nearly £19 for an air parcel whatever that means down to about a fiver for International registered, but doesn't specify delivery timescales.

Thanks Shaun.

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brushless Speed Controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:48:56 am »

Hi Shaun
I needed two 90A water cooled esc's from HobbyKing's UK warehouse and I kept my eye open on their website for availability. After four weeks they appeared on stock so I immediately ordered two. Within a couple of hours I had an email from HobbyKing saying that they were on their way to me, and so out of curiosity I checked their website again for availability and saw that the UK warehouse was out of stock again!
I suspect this is the norm for local availability and I suppose I was just lucky to spot them when I did. If you decide to go down this road I hope you don't have to wait as long as myself.

Brian

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:42:17 am »

flack, what kind of boat are you going to use this on ? Fast electric or scale boat ?
In the latter case a car ESC (they come with heatsinks and a small fan) could be a better option.

On a fast electric on the other hand water-cooling is usually needed.

When it comes to shipping from the International warehouses, the cheapest shipping usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to get to France (in my case). There are other faster options if you're in a hurry (and in France that means increased chances of paying VAT/taxes).

There are also some quicks: if your order contains LiPo batteries, specific carriers are required. Last time I was in a hurry and wanted faster shipping. I had added a small $2 LiPo battery. They were offering FedEx for $23. I saw I had the LiPo and removed it from my cart. Now there was express shipping from another carrier but this time at $29.
I put the $2 LiPo back in the cart and got FedEx. Was overall cheaper and FedEx is reliable.

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:11 am »

Thanks Brian, I have been watching their website for weeks now and it goes from "backorder" to "in transit" but never seems to settle "in stock"

Calimero - I will be using the esc's in a couple of scale model lifeboats at 1/16th scale so the model will be quite large, have to do a bit more research about using car esc's - cheers

Shaun

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 01:40:46 pm »

Shaun,

I'd say keep waiting, the HK ones really are rather good and worth waiting for.
I managed to pick some up Mid December after watching for around 2 months.

In the meantime I did try some others but found the functionality just wasn't there.

Patience seems to be the key, although I know that's hard when we want to spend the winter building/upgrading.

Alex

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »

I run two of these motors in my Slipway Tamar. I have been using the HK 50 amp ESC on each motor and it dose not heat up at all. It is fitted with water cooling but i've never needed  to used it. Why have you gone for the 90 amp 120 amp ESC ??? the 50 amp unit dose very well !
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:42:36 pm »

The 50 amp are fine, my 1:12th Speedline Tamar ran them with 20 amp fuses.

Do not buy the 120 amp version, some batches do not have a reverse option.

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:24 pm »

Bill, Kinmel - There is nothing to beat advice from people with experience of products, I don't really know why I was looking at the 90/120 amp version other than the risk of burning out the ESC if the prop was fouled.

I shall be using them in David Metcalf's Waveney "The Scout" and later in the year in a 1/16th Speedline Severn, although haven't really decide what I am going to be using motorwise in the Severn.

Thanks to you both for the advice and the fact that they are substantially cheaper.

Shaun

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:31:21 pm »

I've been researching these motors, they are only going to draw 46A on full throttle with 4S Lipo. I would imagine you won't be doing that regularly!

I've just bought a turnigy marine 35A which I'm going to run with either a Turnigy D3536/5 1250KV (34A @ 14.8V) with a heavier boat or XK2845-B-2000kv (25A @ 11.1.v) with a lighter boat. Out of interest, this 35A ESC is rated at 190A burst. I guess fuses are the order of the day.

Si

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 09:57:38 am »

Hey Si,

The brushless thing  is still very new to me and to be honest I'm struggling with it. I have had some fantastic help from a variety of people on this site so thanks for your input. I have ordered the 50 amp ESC'S so I'll wait and see how long they take to arrive.

Shaun

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:58 am »

O0 Shaun, once you get your head round brushless systems you will see the benefits and advantages,I now think what brushless motor and ESC set can I use for this model not just high performance high reving motors but low kv low reving high torgue out runners,take a quite a bit of persuasion to go back to DC motors,Ray. ;) ;) ;)   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 11:11:28 am »

Thanks Ray,

Most of my modelling many years ago involved mainly I/c engines and this brushless electric motor is a strange new world to me, but I will get there. The next milestone is batteries - to me a battery is either a sealed alkaline type unit or a lead acid. there are a whole host of other technologies available now so its back to the research, thank god for the internet!

Cheers Shaun

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »

Thanks Ray,

Most of my modelling many years ago involved mainly I/c engines and this brushless electric motor is a strange new world to me, but I will get there. The next milestone is batteries - to me a battery is either a sealed alkaline type unit or a lead acid. there are a whole host of other technologies available now so its back to the research, thank god for the internet!

Cheers Shaun

Im the same. A BMPRS ex racing  member. I got into Brushless motors only 18 months ago along with Lipo batteries. It is not worth me going back to Brush motors as the brushless setup offers so much more. High RPM for race boats and low RPM for scale stuff.
I have over Christmas built a Club 500 and i want to put a brushless lipo set up in it. I can't as it would break the "rules" for racing this type of boat.

Here! how about changing the rules for the club 500 to use brushless motors and Lipos ? bring the boat into 2015.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 08:25:36 pm »

Im the same. A BMPRS ex racing  member. I got into Brushless motors only 18 months ago along with Lipo batteries. It is not worth me going back to Brush motors as the brushless setup offers so much more. High RPM for race boats and low RPM for scale stuff.
I have over Christmas built a Club 500 and i want to put a brushless lipo set up in it. I can't as it would break the "rules" for racing this type of boat.

Here! how about changing the rules for the club 500 to use brushless motors and Lipos ? bring the boat into 2015.

We have tried that, Club 500s just roll over with high torque motors, the torque is greater than the hull's mass !

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 08:44:16 pm »

We have tried that, Club 500s just roll over with high torque motors, the torque is greater than the hull's mass !

As I said rules is rules so nope i will not even try it. :-)) 

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 10:33:22 am »

Take a look at car ESCs. They're a viable option fort scale boats and yachts and don't need watercooling.

And don't forget to disable the low-voltage cut-off which is required for LiPo batteries only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.