Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SD 14 Card Model  (Read 92786 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SD 14 Card Model
« Reply #325 on: September 30, 2021, 10:53:19 am »

Morning Gents,
 After the Liferaft turn out not to bad am going to try finishing the Sd14 Superstructure as it am making it in plastic  most of it with profiles but have found a problem am finding Raboesch Maquett profiles the I have been using are starting to fall off mainly the half round swaging I have tried three makes of glue now. Revell contacta, Deluxe plastic magic, even Floplast solvent cement now seam to work, will be buying Evergreen profiles from now on down side to them is there only 300mm lengths just wondered if any one else has found the same problem and how they fixed it.
             Regards Howard.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2021, 11:50:06 pm »

Have you tried Tamiya Extra Thin Cement – the one with the light lime green lid. I find that it's very quick, and permanent on Evergreen. You don't need much of it either.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2021, 08:02:57 am »

Hello Steve,
 It's not evergreen I have the problem with its the Raboesch Maquett ones starting to think it may be ABS as some just keep falling off going to try EMA plastic weld only one I have not tried if it dont work I dont know what to do which was why I was hoping some one on here might know.
              Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2021, 08:46:58 am »

Am afraid I've had trouble with Maquette also. Tried most solvents and it either just peels off after, or maybe after a couple of months there's a "crack" sound and the bits part.  I started to wonder whether there was some kind of coating on it but sanded parts did the same.  I have one model where I had to run zap thin along anything that was partially stuck, but CA is just not right on polystyrene. I bought quite a bit of the Maquette profiles, am afraid the safest place I found was the recycling bin and just use evergreen or plastruct.  The Maquette polystyrene sheet is very hard also, I find it difficult to cut compared to the rest. I can understand folk saying they don't like polystyrene if the stuff they tried was Maquette.

..I guess others will disagree, I thought I had bad batches of the Maquette or the solvents but the solvents all work on other polystyrene (the abs ones work also) so I've double bottles of everything now in stock.  You're not alone I think.

Occasionally I find a straggler and try to remember to chuck it rather than use it.

Rich

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #329 on: October 01, 2021, 09:13:30 am »

Howard,
I bought some styrene sheet from 3D Models in London. They supply to architects and do large sheets and some profiles in 1M lengths eg. https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Strip-Shape/Item/ASA-T-section/ITM3729  I found the prices to be pretty good and the quality of the sheet is excellent.
Might help
Tony

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: October 01, 2021, 09:24:24 am »

Thank you for your replies Tony and Rich,
 Rich I to have lots of profiles I may have to ditch now I normally bought them as as I can get them in 1 meter lengths its doing my head in at the moment.
         Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #331 on: October 01, 2021, 09:32:03 am »

Hi Howard, yea I bought about 60 quids worth thinking it would stock me for a good while.  It was just a pain. I tried sticking sample bits to every other bit of styrene I had. Replaced all my adhesives then found out they all worked fine on everything else.  It was an expensive mistake.  I chalked it up to experience.

I wondered when they called it styrene whether it was actually mis packaged abs. But not according to the labels, and the abs solvents weren't really touching it either.  Really weird and frustrating.

Rich

RST

« Reply #332 on: October 01, 2021, 06:17:52 pm »

Hi Howard, couldn't post before because I wasn't home but here's a selection I can't get to work on Maquette Styrene -they're all decent products that work well.  As I said, I had to resort to CA (zap is brilliant stuff) -but is a bit like putting wallpaper up with pritt-stick -it might work but it's not right.  I'm not a deluxe user -don't like it, allot, not all I find pretty lackluster.  If your only basis of styrene welding is their solvent then I'd advise a change and you should see an immediate improvement.

Sorry was going to post a pic but my works laptop doesn't like any USB for security now, list is...

• EMA plastic weld
  • Slaters Mek-Pak
  • Tamiaya thin and extra thin
  • Humbrol precision poly cement (yellow bottle)
  • Revell Contacta professional (blue bottles)

...I haven't used "cements" in tubes for maybe 30 years owing to the solvents being so much better and the tube paste cements just dry out and crack and the models fall apart eventually unlike solvent welding.  I never worked out how / why the Maquette stuff never takes to them unlike the rest.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: October 01, 2021, 07:54:04 pm »

Thanks Rich,
 thats stops me buying some other as between your list and mine think we have covered the lot unless someone else can come up with something why I asked on here as we both agree its not the glues that are crap but  Maquette thing is I cant see any Evergreen half round 3mmx 2mm but thank you again for trying. Regards Howard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2021, 11:09:27 am »

Just wondered if anyone has tried the plumbers weld for ABS for waste pipe, is it any stronger than the usual stuff?.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2021, 12:59:47 pm »

Hi Warspite,
 One I have tried is the same stuff I think got it from Wicks called Flo plast solvent cement  bit like wall paper paste and its for the swagging 35mm to 40 mm long by 3mm x2mm about 500 of them.
          Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2021, 07:54:39 pm »

Hello Gents,
   Some good news and some bad, The bad news is am still struggling to find a glue that will let me fix these crap Maquette profiles doing my head in at the moment the more I try to fix the rest of the swagging others keep falling off got to more am going to try Bison hard plastic glue, and another called CIA Technicqll polychlorlde. am hoping one will work as am finding it so hard trying with these none working hands but still some how to finish the Superstructure some how as no chance of holding scissors and cutting card till hand inprouths, good news is i have been able to take a very small step forward with plastic and made the number five hold Derrrick Masts, and the Engine room Skylight will try and post a picture as I think it says a lot more then words can not a lot to you guys but to me after ten months of doing very little am very pleased.
            Regards Howard.   

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2021, 08:29:30 pm »

Hiya Howard,

Have you tried using Stix2 double sided tape at all ?

Obviously it depends on the width of your swagings but they do various widths of the tape.

Have a look here: https://www.stix2.co.uk/product/double-sided-polyester-ultra-sticky-clear-tape/

Hope this can help you...

Ray.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2021, 09:38:40 pm »

Hello Ray,
 Thanks for that I have looked but need 3mm wide for the the 2mmx3mm half round profile frightened to try the Silicone glue in case any stops me painting later as i have very limited use of my hands at the moment.
        Regards Howard.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: October 07, 2021, 09:59:48 pm »

I've just had a look on that link Howard and they do 3mm x 15m and 3mm x 5m O0

Ray. :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: October 07, 2021, 10:06:41 pm »

Hi Howard
I found the Raboesch Maquett a night mare to glue. Its a weird plastic. I think I used Tamiya cement but the was no load on it.
You can use the double sided tape they use to hold moblie phone screens in . Used in on the windows of my Ferry. Good stuff.
John
2mm Double Sided Extremly Strong Tape Self Adhesive For Mobile Phone LCD Screen | eBay

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2021, 10:10:02 pm »

Hello Ray,
I will look again and keep in in mind so far this evening I have been putting the one's have come off back on using the CIA Technicqll and so far seams to be working the best so far only tomorrow will tell when I try and pull them back off hoping they wont.
                Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #342 on: October 07, 2021, 10:16:10 pm »

Hi,
I would be careful with Bostik / Bison.  I used it for decades to stick polystyrene to card and wood back in my model railway days and it was brilliant stuff.  There was a change in the branding which co-incides what google tells me they mght have realigned about the same time.  They changed packaging (pink to purple or 'tother way round) and I continued to use it -all was well for 6 months (smelled the same, same consistency, same price) then supposedley the exact same stuff started delaminating and reacting with the PS sheeting and fell off overnight! Heartbreaking to scrap allot of things as it just went wrong suddenly after 6 months with absolutely no warning or signs before.  Normally if a solvent reacts it starts doing so straight away and builds up over time but it was just night and day with this stuff over months.  I've never used Bostik or Bison stuff anywhere near polystyrene ever since so don't know if the forumla changed since.
I'd recommend you to do some trials first!
I just found a few old pics as an example -the stuff used to be great then suddenly it started reacting after it was in-place for months...

RST

« Reply #343 on: October 07, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »

As I said the old stuff stuck OK forever but the new stuff after re-branding was fine for months then overnight just went "no"...

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2021, 10:26:04 pm »

Thank you John have logged it in my E-bay in case I need it.
 Hello RST, thank to you to the Bison I have is 10 /20 years old old and is in a blue and white tube says PVC,ABS, ACRYLIC, and GLASS. but as I said trying CIA Technicqll first so far looking good.
          Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #345 on: October 07, 2021, 11:35:50 pm »

Hi Howard look at taranis's builds.  He gave up styrene adhesives I think a bit too quick as it was based on deluxe solvent which is known to be very somewhat meh. Deluxe are the "apple" of the glue world to me.  He uses zap cyano and I can't fault him, zap is pretty darn good for modelling. I'd just never recommend a bonded joint when a welded joint is possible.  Perhaps the issue would be put back on your supplier, good luck with that as I said before it was a learning curve for me when I found out just how bad the stuff was.  It must be do-able though as it's sold in Europe.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #346 on: October 08, 2021, 05:45:41 am »

Would Copydex be worth considering? ...... Evostick?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: October 08, 2021, 07:48:59 am »

Morning All,
 No Martin, not for plastic to plastic Evo stick  can soften thin plastic very badly if you don't get it right and with my hands at the moment just cant trust them with the fine detail I would need to use it am still out on what i used last night bet so far its looking good hoping i may have cracked it.
              Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: October 10, 2021, 09:57:30 pm »

Hello RST(Rich)
Well I think I may have cracked it so far all the bits I have stuck on have strayed on so try CIA Techniqll Polychloride, for rigid plastic, about £2.40 on flea bay. Sod's law I ran out of the 3x2mm half round to finish the swagging so 60 mile round rip Yesterday to buy two more lengths of the crap stuff but had to use the same stuff, might be worth trying before you throw out your stash,
               Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #349 on: October 10, 2021, 11:31:41 pm »

Interesting Howard, it's described as a contact adhesive so not sure how that will work with neatness but give it a try. I did say CA works, more than one of us on here recommends ZAP.  I threw out mine ages ago as it was more hassle than worth.  When the fenders from half round tube started peeling off my pilot boat I drilled and injected holes with some super quick acrylic I found in Carrefour. Worked fine but it was the 2k type with the spiral mixing nozzle on the end of the syringe  so had to be darn quick!

Rich
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.