Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SD 14 Card Model  (Read 91977 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SD 14 Card Model
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2018, 05:49:51 pm »

Sorry Warspite,
 I know it should not be used for at least another three weeks  but then we also only have three weeks till we start working our way to summer and only four weeks till we start seeing Easter Eggs in the shops again.

Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »

Hi Guys,
 I have some 1inch ali  square tube to run just inside the frames  along the floor tops to add strength  to the model as it's over 7ft long going to epoxy them on to the ply hold bottoms with a good bandage I also have lots of compressed card-angles as you can now get in packing  it's very strong   also thought I might try that to or should I use it to make  the boxes in the holds to keep the lead ballast  in place  120lb plus two 12volt, 2 6volt battery's has any one used this card packing before I look forward to your views.
                             Regards Howard.

Much like this Howard?  It is an ideal and lightweight method of adding longitudinal strength.

Re the boxes for lead - our has 5mmx5mm balsa shapes glued to the hold bottoms to take the lead cubes...which can only be placed once the boat is on the water otherwise 1) the boat is too heavy to lift and 2) it will collapse if lifted with that amount of weight in it!!!

I will most likely be taking our SD14 to Wicksteed in 2019 - long time since it has had a sail....

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:38 pm »

Hello Carl,
 Hello friend how are you so pleased you remember me, I still read your dad's writings sorry shipyards on the back burner for a few months owing to jobs around the house with both daughter and us building home's across the road from each other am now the maintenance man and decorator for both  plus lecy for all the Christmas lights, right back to the SD14 like I said I bought some ali square tube  like you did  but saved a lot of the compressed angle card and never seen it used before in model boating and just wondered if any one else had thought of using it like I wondered  or even use it with the ali bonded to it am trying to think out of the box us modellers are often the first to think of doing things another way I know I have pick up lots from others finding new ways to do things,
   look forward to your response, use just the Ali like you and your dad did try the card, or use both I have the compress corners which I intended to use for the ballast holds in the in the ships five holds 20, 4lb weights with eyelets enbeded before the lead cooled.
          regards Howard.   

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2018, 08:12:56 pm »

Always keep an eye open on how you are getting along Howard - I wouldnt miss it for the world!

As for the compressed card angles, they would probably be ideal for the ballast boxes but I would stick with the ali tubing for the longerons - bonded and clothed just as you say.

Another tip for added strength and rigidity - when you get to main deck level you will notice that there are lengthy square section 'tubes that frame the hatches and run between the cross bulkheads.  Add a close-fitting square section length of timber inside these card tubes and they will be as rigid as steel - they will prevent any twist or buckling of the top deck when the boat is moved or even out on the water.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »

Thanks' Carl will do it the way you have said I have enough Ali to take it all the way though the engine room and into hold 5,
 I hope to restart soon into the new year  hopefully with photo's.
                   Regards Howard. 

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:40 pm »

Keep us posted Howard  :-)) :-)) :-))

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2018, 06:25:00 am »

Wow! That's a LOT of work. Very impressive.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2019, 01:16:46 pm »

Hello Gent's,
Wow just pasted 35,000 looks sorry not been much lately  but I cant say why at the moment, I hope to get my mojo back soon and crack on with it I have lots of bits pre-cut  and hopefully get on with it now winter is on its way with all this rain I might get a lake of my own as river in the village is close to breaking its banks but far to fast flowing thanks again for looking.
                Regards Howard. 

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2019, 09:25:41 pm »

Hi Howard - How are you my friend?

Check out the latest Model Boats Magazine Special...........article written by my dad about building his SD14. Loads of pictures and explanations.

See you at Mobile Marine soon?

Cheers
Carl

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2019, 10:01:21 pm »

Hello Carl,
Yes I have seen its going to be in the winter special  I still have the hand written one you sent me  one of my best bedtime reads ever still often I have not been able to touch mine for a while still hope we can sail both together at some time her sister ship and yes I'll be at mobile marines, as I only live about 11 miles from it my local model shop. any one reading this it should be a great read buy it for that alone.
    Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2019, 02:13:47 pm »

wow 36,000  now and a 1,000 in a month  time to get back welding card it's a lot harder then I thought more so now going up to first deck level hope to see a lot of you guys at mobile marine models on Saturday.
               Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2020, 12:10:13 am »

Hello Gents,
 New years over and the ship workers are back off there holidays and the shipyards now reopened I will try and up load so photo's soon starting with some bulkheads and afterpeak as I want to fill between the frames with balsa to make it very strong as think when sailing this and the bow might get damaged more easily and Carl did this like this for the same reason ( thanks for the tip Carl) Also need to Epoxy the inch ali square tube  just inside the frames on the tank top decks.
              Regards Howard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2020, 12:11:23 am »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »

Hello Gent's
 Right I need a bit of help I have decided I want to make my display/launching stand for my SD14 now as the contiboard am using it just no longer working it's to short to start with, Am looking at buying some  8ft,x 2ft x 18mm hardwood ply maybe cut if back to 18 inches seal the edges (how what with which is best) then put mouldings all the way round plain picture frame stuff I think will look ok, under the boat I will put 8mm x 8mm hardwood strips evenly spaced maybe 8mm gaps, Now for my problem and hopefully your help I want to make some cradles if that's the right name for them  like you see when they launch a ship at the bow and stern but cant find any plans/ pictures will make them out off 8mm hardwood strip too if that would not be to heavy.
I look forward to your reply's
             Regards Howard.   

RST

« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:34 pm »

If you mean the supporting steelwork and brackets seen at the fore and aft poppets during a slipway launch you almost certainly won't find any details from GA's or plans on-line for a vessel because they're only there to support those sections of the hull as they are launched (often down a slip).  So they won't be there in ships pans or GA's.  Traditionally they can be welded to the hull, then after the hull floats off the slip -it gets dry-docked and those parts are cut-off, all the other repairs and convenient things are done then the ship is re-floated. (not always but often).
It's been a VERY long time and nothing done in practice but when I did my launching exercises/calcs at uni you have to make sure the supporting structure ensures that when the ship finally slips off the slipway (and a huge force is down on the bow), it has enough buoyancy not to slam into the bottom of the slipway as it "falls-off".  Not an uncommon thing for things to go wrong and most if not all slips have a "drop" at the end.

A vessel this size almost certainly wouldn't be slip launched -I wouldn't worry about the cradles you've seen.  If you really want them just look at youtube etc videos and make something up I guess.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2020, 10:53:18 pm »

Hi, RST,
 It's just something to look good on its display stand as well of it sitting on the blocks making the stand look a little different as you say maybe I'll have to just have to make something up.
As for launching yes they was built on the River Wear some on slip-way and launched straight into the North Sea. most was built at Austin & pickersgill  in one of the first covered but still on a slipway, some in Middlesbrough a ship yard others built at other yards but I don't of any that was not build on a slipway I think I'll  just try and look at pre-launch photo's and do something similar. but thank you for your reply.
          Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2020, 11:11:38 pm »

...Sorry, was thinking something else: SD14 slipped absolutely for sure and can't believe they were still building them up to the 80's.  But you may have to approximate something.  There must be a photo sure somewhere buried.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2020, 05:02:01 am »

Howard....scale anchor chain through both port & stdb anchor Hawer chain openings is always an option

You may have seen some old images of large ship launching where many additional cables in length of anchor chain was attached to the hull

The shear weight in the mass of the studded chain being sufficient to slow the hulls movement once actually afloat [stern first]

I'll see if I can find an image.... :o

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2020, 09:30:06 am »

Hello Derek,
Yes I know about drag chains when launching, It's the wooden cradles  on the bow and stern I would like to make just to make my display stand look different and a bit fancy may also hold the ship steady on the base I'll keep on looking on the internet and the books I have am sure some one on here will help to.

regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2020, 09:14:40 pm »

Hello Gents,
 Over the last few nights I've been cutting out card and 1mm slots to make the AFTER PEAK STERN FRAME I took some photo to show you the result but I have tried three times and cant get them to load I think there to big but again don't know to make them smaller will keep on trying and let you know.
               Regards Howard.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2020, 09:43:50 pm »

Howard......my landline e-mail address is in my profile name [shown to the left], send your images to me & I'll upload them in your thread for you....

Wii also advise a fix for the sizing issue

[I did the same for Danielle [Switzerland] a few years back when she had a Server issue]

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2020, 11:15:21 pm »

Thanks for that Derek but I have try to  three times but again no joy. will look to see if I can find a good free resize program.         
                                       Regards Howard.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2020, 11:44:45 pm »

: 'howardmain@xxxxxxl.com' <howardmain1954@gmail.com>
 Subject: e-mail address OK

Howard....you have my e-mail address OK.... dlwarner@bxxxxxxxx.net.au [edited] [/color] [/color]this is my land based e-mail
[/size]
[/color]Don’t the e-mail via MBM……use your landline computer to send the SD card ship images to me here directly I will then upload them for you
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2020, 11:59:30 pm »

Thank you Derek,
 I have now sent them seven I think,  Again cheers mate.
            Regards Howard

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2020, 03:16:39 am »

That's OK Howard.......will cost you a pint  O0  if I ever make it to UK ..... Derek

PS.....

[I just saved each file to the desktop with the new name, then went to edit....and change to 1250 x 979 pixels

This takes the image size from 2 MB down to ....less than 500KB....usually approx 360]
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.