Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SD 14 Card Model  (Read 92060 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: SD 14 Card Model
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2020, 05:01:44 am »

Nice one Derek, thanks.   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2020, 02:11:46 pm »

Thank you Derek.
 As you can see gents this looks quite fragile and could be prone to damage  once on the water if hit so my next job is to in fill with balsa wood then sand back to the card edges then flood with Ronseal wood hardener which will make it soiled  very much like I did with the Bow  but I'll post more photo's  I have a 18 inch prop shaft if oil-er specially  made up by Model Mobile Marine ready to go in.
   Hope you lads are still interested and keep watching like I have said before this is no weekend build, Thanks for watching.
              Regards Howard.   

RST

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2020, 10:12:02 pm »

Howard I can't post pics from my phone but if you Google forepoppet or aftpoppet there are some launching pictures.  Not many and mostly ww2 but might help you.

I admire your patience with the card kit. Nobody can say the build isn't prototypical!

Interesting tangent but I'm surprised how many launches seem to be done using airbag rollers these days. Or rather, that's what seems to show on Google recently!

Rich

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2020, 10:22:57 pm »

Thank you Rich,
 I'll have a look got my 18mm hardwood ply this morning top quality cut to size 1x18inch plus two 15inch all 8ft 18 inch for this one and the two others cut to 4ft for my Tyneside Tugs so that's my display stands sorted for a while. thanks again Rich.
                      Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2020, 11:52:03 pm »

Hi, might I make a small point re ronseal. I know the stuff but Im not adverse to the likes of z-poxy or similar these days. It will be much stronger.  I guess ronseal soaks in though because its thin.

...actually I'm not very old (body of a neglected 40 year old,  started losing memory when I was about 15), but looking at all the beginner posts these days. When I started out I had a white futaba 27mhz set my dad bought me and it got transplanted into everything (still have it!). A 540 motor was a months pocket money. I made about 10-15 models from card.  No money for waterproofing using anything proper. I used to cover (neatly) with sellotape and thick artist acrylic paint from tubes from the art shop. When it went soggy (always did), I learned PDQ to get back to shore to rescue the model before it sank!  I learned lots and lots from that, particularly how to build from thin card!  Nothing so complex as this though LoL!

Rich

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2020, 12:37:31 pm »

Hello Rich,
 Yes Ronseal wood hardener  is great stuff it soaks right though the balsa  making it solid  It made the bow section perfect so will use it again once. I intend to seal water proof the hull by putting the card shell plates on then 0.4mm ply then a covering of Delux Materials EZE-KOTE with a light fibre glass cloth or tissue  then hopefully copy the shell plates in 0.5mm plastic sheet the paint, not sure yet if I will get the plastic shell plates to stick to the Eze-kote thinking of a can of spray Evostick will have to do a test to see but that could be a long way off  at the rate am working at  should end up with a hull about 2.5mm to 3mm in thickness so water tight and strong I hope.
               Regards Howard.   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2020, 04:32:37 pm »

That sounds a bit complicated Howard. Could you not consider applying the lightweight cloth and Eze Kote directly to the card hull and then use 0.4mm ply for the plating effect and final finish instead of plastic?

Deluxe Superphatic is supposed to bond materials other than wood as long as one surface is porous/absorbent such as unsealed ply and I have found it sticks thin ply to a smooth surface very effectively and is easy to use with its water clean up. Definitely worth playing around with some test samples I think.

Once the ply plating is on you can use either Eze Kote or the slightly thinner Sand 'n Seal as a final seal ready for painting. Only a light rub down should be needed before priming.

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2020, 09:28:14 pm »

Hi Gents,
 I hope these photo's load  I have filled the card skeleton by gluing in balsa between the card then roughly  cut back to near the right size this really solid now it needs to be to stop this fragile aft-peak getting damaged once on the water and then covered it in Ronseal wood filler, where I am now about to start sanding back till I just get to see the card frames where I'll then cover in Ronseal wood hardener  ready for painting but will post more as I go.
           Regards Howard.     

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:33 pm »

wow guy's I've mastered it.
                  Regards Howard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2020, 09:26:19 am »

Based on the fact this level of detail in card is amazing, I am surprised no one has thought of creating a version in cad, then 3D printing the structures with the skin on, at 1 mm thick the body would be very structurally sound - wouldn't it?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2020, 09:48:32 am »

Would it be strong enough as I will be putting a 120lb of lead plus battery's in it to get it down to even some where near the water line once built, plus not sure about copyrights, but would made my job a lot easier  but still enjoying the build  just takes time. But thank you for looking and posting   Warspite.
                 Regards Howard. 

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2020, 11:54:51 pm »

Help Gents,
 Half a dozen times now I have tried to post with photo's but each time it will not post it I have checked and all the photo's are undersize.
 Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2020, 12:15:35 am »

Hello Gents,
As you can see am very nearly finished the afterpeak just a few more hours of sanding and maybe a little bit more  filler then another coat of Ronseal wood hardener to soak into the balsa wood then a coat of primer the bit of plastic on the prop-tube hole was a button my shorts the other day but it popped off am not saying why so I reamed out the middle to the right size of my prop-shaft we modellers call it recycling.
                    Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2020, 12:44:25 am »

Hello Gents,
 fed up with sanding so thought I'd give my hands a rest  I have started building the other five water tight bulkheads you start by cutting out the two hafts the join and cut 1mm slots where needed the pin holes to on the reverse side so you can join them up with a pencil  then score back and front then fold up bulkhead make the corrugations the add the bulkhead stiffener plates hopefully the photos are in the right order.
                Regards Howard

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2020, 01:20:32 am »

Hi Gents,
 as you can now see I sanded a bit more and give the aft-peak a coat of primer  may still give it a bit more light sanding but the shape is about there now remember I still have the 0.4mm ply plates and then sealed with a fibre-glass matt and coat of resin and if am really silly cover with 0.5 plastic shell plates before its gets it's final paint coats but that will be when the hole hull is finished please let me know if this threads now becoming boring and i'll stop posting.
             Regards Howard. 

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2020, 01:43:40 am »

Hi Gents,
 Sorry I forgot to say the white plastic tube  has been epoxy-resined into the prop tube and trued up so will sit on the prop-shaft bearers my 18inch brass stuffing tube is about 0.5mm smaller so will be easy to glue and seal in once in place.
            Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2020, 07:37:54 pm »

Hi Gents,
As you can see after 250 plus scores and folds I have made the last five out of the six watertight bulkheads I just now have to glue/weld them to the double bottom tanks will post more photo's once I have.
                 Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2020, 10:47:24 pm »

Hi Gents,
 with the watertight bulkheads made I had to make four square ali tube straighteners to run must of the length of the tank tops or the hold floors so I didn't have to worry about her breaking her back on the water  with something like a 120 lb of lead plus battery's in her, I was going to epoxy them to the ply and card tank tops but The great man Stan told me about a modern  glue called STIXALL I tried it  and found it works a treat every thing is so nice and strong it's water proof to  and can be painted over so easy to use, Thanks you Stan for the heads up, three bits cut and on one more to finish but needs four angels to be cut in them as it go's up and over into the engine space  so to two  1meter lengths each side  I made a small hard wood plug to join them.
               Regards Howard.     

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2020, 10:15:45 pm »

Right Gent's,
As you can see the last of the Ali tube has been made and glued in place all now very strong and firm all will take the weight of the ballast leas and battery's I also attached the Aft-peak glued in firm and on the prop-shaft bearers  all square and level the brass prop-shaft stuffing tube is a frim tight fit but still removable at the moment till I seal it in the white plastic one it's 18inches long but might shorten it by an inch once I try up the motor, I can now start cutting and fitting the watertight bulkheads in place, then the frames so will post more as I go  if you all haven't fell asleep by then.
              Regards Howard.   

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2020, 01:14:08 am »

Keep going Howard, we loving this epic build!    :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2020, 05:53:53 pm »

Hi Gents,
 Just two photo's to let you see number two watertight bulkhead now installed  its a bit fiddley to get all the corrugations lined up in the right place  and had to cut part of it out to allow for the Ali tube strengthens but I've learnt a lot doing it only another four to do and that was the easy one, why do we love modelling.
           Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2020, 04:25:12 pm »

Afternoon Gents,
 just another few photos as I have managed to fix to more this morning  two more to do not as easy to fix as I thought it would be keeping every thing lined up till the glue dry's as it only card glue but am getting there.
  Martin if am posting to many photo's let me know just think a photo  says a thousand words.
          Regards Howard.

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2020, 05:41:12 pm »

Wow it almost looks like your building the real ship!  :-)) :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2020, 05:53:17 pm »

Hey Howard,

Is the frame a Marcle design, by your own design or by another modeler?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.