Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SD 14 Card Model  (Read 92053 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SD 14 Card Model
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2020, 11:35:38 am »

Hello Morning WarspIte,
The openings are 6mm x 6mm so think you will not see much unless you are very very close I don't really think it would be worth going that far, If I ever get bored and use the card templates bits to make a to make a display Accommodation that comes apart deck by deck I think I may have to detail it more thinking of a few very small LED's in the odd place.
               Regards Howard.   

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:38 pm »

Hello Gents,
well at last I have nearly finished the  upper deck Crew Accommodation as you will see I had to build this upside down owning to curve of the main deck you will also see I made all the cabins on this deck as I did the on the Bridge Deck Officers Accommodation deck at 1:70 scale bit hard to see into them so am not detailing them but I know there there, may look at lighting some with led's that's two decks done  as you will see in the last photo have cut out the card temp plates and cut out matching plastic copies  ready to start making up the Boat Deck Officers' Accommodation. Again making all the cabins as it adds strength but as I have said before as this is going to be a sailing model am gluing all the deck to each other just able to lift off so I can get at the engine room, it's taking just as long if not longer to cut the card then copy to plastic but am enjoying the change from cutting slots  and working with plastic sheet again.
                 Regards Howard.   

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2020, 10:48:11 am »

:-)) O0
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2020, 12:49:44 pm »

hi gents,
 as you can see from the photos' above on the two decks so far I have six alleyways needing doors I was thinking they would be wood as there all set back a few feet from the openings  I have looked at all the info and pictures  I have but cant find any showing the doors upper decks would be wood I think its the ones on the main deck not sure if they would be steel with dogs or wood set back, your thoughts please gents.
                          Regards Howard. 

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2020, 11:29:06 pm »

Hello Gents
 thought I'd share with you the start of the next deck Just done the corridors and Aft bulkheads of the BOAT DECK OFFICERS' ACCOMMODATION so far more up-date's in a few days.
                        Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2020, 11:49:00 pm »

Looks good, you must be enjoying working with polystyrene sheet now -it is wonderfully easy stuff to work with and no grain to seal and prime to fill to get a smooth texture, especially with solvent welding being so neat and relatively quick compared to most traditional adhesives.  There was a guy on-line who built entirely from polystyrene like you are doing in card, but his website seemed to have dissapeared something like 18-24 months ago now -I've been trying to find it ever since to give you some inspiration (it was interesting for me also anyway) but you seem to be doing OK in card so far anyway.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2020, 12:58:18 am »

Hi RST,
Thank you for your reply yes I love working in plastic sheet for all the reasons you have said as for card beleave me this is my first and last one I have never made any thing with ply before some love it other don't am not knocking them it just don't rock my boat as maybe they don't like using plastic I buy my sheets in huge sizes works out a lot cheaper and I always have a lot of stock in as well as Stanley blades l buy them in at 200/400 at a time, A man called Carlm made the same boat from card with him father  a few years back and has been a great help to me.
          Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2020, 04:21:59 pm »

Hello Afternoon Gent's
Just a quick up-date on what I've done this week started the Boat Deck Officers' Accommodation,
as you will see I've put the swaging on the port and starboard side's of the two decks I have made so far, I bought three meters of 2mm x 3 half round and ran out before I even got to the Aft end bulkheads so yesterday made a 60 mile round trip to Doncaster and got the last 3 meters the shop had left just hope it will finish the last two deck's, also made three sets of stair side another three sets to make thank wood steps will be better the plastic, cant do much as I have been made to start decorating the hall and am back at work on Tuesday (Lolly pop man) so looking forward to it as I have been off from before Easter, hope to show more next week.
         Regards Howard. 

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2020, 08:21:32 pm »

Good Evening Gents,
 just three more photo's as I have now finished the Boat Deck Officers Accommodation just the swagging  to put on put think I'll not have enough till the model shop gets a new order got about 1 1/2 meters left next the Navigation Bridge Deck more stairways to make about another six then Monkey island and the Funnel.
      Regards Howard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2020, 11:21:19 am »

:-))

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2020, 10:22:00 pm »

Thanks warspite,
 hi gents the decorating took a lot longer then I thought every thing needed two coats plus four coats to do the wood work and seven door frames so not much done still back to model boating.
 got the Navigation Bridge deck on Aft and port and starboard sides now need its swaging cut up what I have of the 3x2 half round but not sure I'll have enough, but I can now start building the Bridge, Chartroom Radio room, and the likes.
            Regards Howard.   

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2020, 10:52:24 pm »

Evening Gents,
Well I managed to finish the decorating so got a few nights modelling in, Got the bridge wings, wheel house, chart room, and other cabins and rooms done on the Navigation Bridge Deck. I have started cutting out the Monkey Island, and some of the funnel parts the I still have to make some bit to do as you will see by the card templates which I hope to join up and cut out as I one piece for the funnel skin sheeting again I hope my photos explain better then my words.
                     Regards Howard.   

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2020, 09:23:50 pm »

Off to give my bike a run in the morning going to my nearest model shop Williamsons in Doncaster for some plastic profiles as I need some more 3x2mm half round for the swaging and 3mm angel hope he has some as I cleaned him out last time a few weeks back and its a 70 miles round trip but I like to support the model shops we have left so we don't loose any more maybe get the Monkey Island on over the next few nights
              Regards Howard.   

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2020, 11:30:11 am »

Rather than a 70 mile round trip, does he have a phone - checking first or place an order that he can get in for you. ;D

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2020, 01:03:29 pm »

Hi Warspite ,
 I don't use my motor bike that much these days so like to give it a good run out now and then, I got most of what I wanted  just the 3x2mm half round he still not got thought so as I cleared him out of it last time using it for the swagging  should have some in two weeks time but I'll wait till half term then have a run out again, I have the Monkey Island deck and funnel I can do to keep me going and start on the doors and other detail things so it will not really hold me up for now, The sooner I get this done means I'll have up start cutting and slotting card again so no rush as I have enjoyed building in plastic again so have enjoyed a few weeks rest  from card. but thank you for still watching and keeping a interest in my build.
              Regards Howard.   

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2020, 09:45:46 pm »

Hello Gents,
 As  you will see I have now finished the basic Accommodation block will leave the rubber bands holding the funnel skins on till tomorrow the trim the top then start doing some detailing work lots to do mast to make, engine room skylight, ventilators, derrick posts, bridge wing bulwark brackets, taffrail wind deflectors, and defector brackets, life boat davits,  accommodation ladders and doors, to name a few hand rails will wait till I finish the model.
               Regards Howard.     

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2020, 09:50:16 pm »

hi,
I forgot to say am still waiting for the model shop to let me know when his order of 3x2mm half round has arrived so I can finish off the swaging hopefully by half term.
             Regards Howard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:40 pm »

Looking good and very strong!

( Haven't seen a rubber powered boat for ages! )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:58 pm »

%% Thanks Martin,
 It will soon be time for me to get back to cutting out card and card glue again but have enjoyed my plastic break not sure the rubber bands will move the 120lb of lead ballast plus maybe three 7ah battery's.
             Regards Howard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2020, 11:24:48 am »

So how would you go about trimming the top of the funnel?

Still loving this  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2020, 12:40:33 pm »

Hello Warspite,
I took the rubber bands off this morning  very carefully ran a Stanley blade down the over-lap at the sides of the funnel glued and lay'ed them back in flush as for the top I glued a 3x1mm profile on the inside once set I  ran a new Stanley blade around the top level with the 3x1 not sure if it looks right maybe it should be higher at the front I will post a photo let me know what you think.
    Regards Howard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2020, 04:28:05 pm »

Your work is always excellent, mine on the other hand  {-) , just in case I start to build the rest of the fleet in waiting.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2020, 04:34:14 pm »

Hi Warspite, these are the photo's of the almost finished funnel got two doors to put on the Aft sides the mast  and horns go on the front am pretty pleased with now.
             Regards Howard

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2020, 09:00:12 pm »

Hello All,
Managed to get some more 3x2mm half round profiles to finish off the swaging  but wish two decks to do will to a few nights then start doing some detail work, mast, derrick posts vents, doors, engine room skylight. While I was waiting for the model shop at Doncaster, So pasted my time making a Tow-Hook for my Hendon/Cragsider Tyne Tug 1:24 scale from plastic and resin will post a photo sometime  but will be a while before I start that.
            Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2020, 09:24:12 pm »

Hello Gents,
As I said last time while waiting to get some more 3x2mm half round for to finish off the swaging I made a tug tow hook for maybe my next build in eight years time lol. so like I said here's the photo's as am now back putting on the swaging.
 only made of plastic and resin so just for show  don't think I'd push my luck trying to tow with if.
                    Regards Howard.     
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.