Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Dive Vid - Neptune SB-1  (Read 14058 times)

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My First Dive Vid - Neptune SB-1
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:44 am »

Wasnt sure where to put this, i took the SB1 to a private pool local to me last night ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZeL2-Zgh8w

Absolutely loved it!!! :)

Link repaired - Admin

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My First Dive Vid - Neptune SB-1
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:56:41 am »

Love it! Great vid and thanks for sharing.

Correct link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZeL2-Zgh8w  if anyone is struggling to find it.

Alex

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:10:44 am »

Thanks for the link, Alex...

Rob, nice video, my friend...the boat looks to be working as it should. And...I'm jealous of that pool!!

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:32 am »

Oops sorry about the link, usually works like that, thanks for fixing and the nice comments Tug :)

Thanking you also Rich for the good advice and help, she seems to be working a treat, ran out of pool haha need somewhere larger/deeper now, this pool is about 2miles from my home, costs about £19 per hour but ok if a few of you go.

Some mods to do and the FPV gear to add next :)

Rob

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:25:25 am »

She looks good, mate...a good buy, methinks.

Remember those floodlamps we were talking about? Here's my Neptune with them fitted, they just pop on and off with a couple of terry clips.

Rich

Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:48 am »

Im loving it mate, especially the footage it can bring back :)

Ah those floodlamps yes i seen them, are yours rechargeable or a few AA batteries Rich? I seen 2 different types, maybe the rechargeable ones were a full size one (too large?)

Rob

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:38 am »

Rob, at the moment mine run off 3 x AA sized Duracell batteries, although there's no reason why they couldn't be replaced with rechargable cells.

Glad you're enjoying the Neptune mate...my first one was a disaster, it was replaced FOC, the replacement wasn't much better, so that went back...the early ones suffered from electrical problems. The third one which turned up was much better, it never let me down once, I had great fun with that...a chap from France saw it, wanted it, and drove all the way over here to collect it.

This one is yet to go in the water properly, once the weather warms up I'll get out for it's maiden voyage. (cold weather, rheumatoid arthritis and COPD don't go together). I'm just in the process of changing the radio, I want to use my FC-16 with it.

Rich
Rich

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:53:40 am »

I actually bought mine from France, a guy called Fred (we worked on the logo together that im using now).

Ill get a couple of those torches ordered now i know which ones they are, thanks for the heads up Rich, i can see it needs larger dive planes, more speed or larger prop? wouldnt go amiss ... unless i just cruise downriver ;)

The on/off switch on mine seems weird have to turn it a few times then it works, is that normal?

I always wrap up mate, detecting or flying always murder on the hands ... now subs haha - land, sea or air i have it covered.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:28 pm »

My last one had Robbe U-47 front planes, and the stock front planes I put on the stern, that helped a lot, made it much more responsive.
The new one has the optional six bladed blade fitted, gives it a bit more power...you can try changing the battery to either a nimh pack or a lipo, that will help as well.

My switch is ok...maybe a squirt of WD40 may help?

Rich
Rich

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »

I was thinking of the tail fins off a plane, ill probs get Ben to 3d print me some larger ones, mine has a 6 bladed prop, looks like i need those Lipos onboard, does anything need changed for it to accept LiPos Rich? Ive read a lot on the net and someone mentioned having to adjust something but i forgot what.

Ill try some WD, never thought of that

Rob

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 12:17:57 pm »

If you go down the lipo route, you really need a proper esc with a voltage cut out, otherwise you can damage the lipos if you discharge them too much (been there, done that...) It'd be easier to fit a nimh pack, I think...the battery tray needs a bit of trimming if I remember rightly.

Rich
Rich

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »

Yeh your probably right Rich, i use LiPos with the Quads and dont like the way they bulge after a few months, last thing i need down below is a chemical fire :/

Can you recommend a good NiMh pack?  Im not sure whats currently in it but i got around an hours worth of cruisin in that pool, chuffed with that

Rob

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:25 pm »

If you're getting an hour's worth of run time, I'd leave well alone...I've never got an hour out of any of mine!

Rich
Rich

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 12:37:51 pm »

Maybe it has already been upgraded, ill leave alone then and check it when im doing the FPV gear/Lights, ill go order those now :)

Rob

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »

Good luck mate, keep in touch...maybe we can persuade you to come down to the Norwich dive in  %)

Rich
Rich

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:52:48 pm »

Ill not be far mate, if theres any Metal Detecting Rallies down your way i could be persuaded to do a weekend there, ill keep an eye on the rally dates ;)

Rob

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 12:54:46 pm »

Ill not be far mate, if theres any Metal Detecting Rallies down your way i could be persuaded to do a weekend there, ill keep an eye on the rally dates ;)

Rob

Good man! 

Rich
Rich

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 12:59:18 pm »

Rob

there loads near Richard. I cant remember the local clubs name but my friend has been on loads down that way.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 10:18:19 pm »

Sounds promising, thanks for that Klunk, i do keep an eye out for rallies on the MD forum, havent travelled further than 120 miles as yet but would defo enjoy detecting down south nearer the larger cities :)

A couple of mates on the FPV forum have 3d designed/going to print me some larger Hydroplanes for the SB1, ill get a photo up after they arrive/fitted :)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:05 am »

Bulging tends to be caused by overstressing the pack- unlikely in a sub like this. You could look at a 4S liFEPo4 pack, that would give you 12.8 volts, closer to the original Pb brick.

Increasing the area of the hydroplanes will improve response, but will also increase drag (no free lunch)
The Neptune has a lot of weight low down. This will make the boat very stable, but decreases the response of the hydroplanes. You could experiment with raising the c.o.g a bit which will make the boat more agile, however this comes at the expense of stability, and you'll find the boat keeps you busy, when near the surface.

A leveller would improve pitch control, but then you should think about separating the forward and rear control planes, with the leveller acting on the rear planes only, and the front planes controlled manually.

A change of prop improves performance a lot. The standard motor is torquey 550 model and will pull a prop with more blade area easily. A kort nozzle prop would make a lot of sense, as the prop is ducted. Raboesch and prop shop do some nice items.

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:26 am »

Thanks for all that information Subculture, much appreciated, i guess my Quadcopters stress the Lipos some but if an hour is a good run for my SB1 im happy to leave it at that.

Ill let you know how it goes with the new Hydroplanes, if it seems worse ill look into the leveller setup.

The prop onboard is a 6 bladed type, after seeing its speed in the pool i know it would struggle in rivers, ill be trying it in pools/slow moving areas which is where my interest lies.

Rob

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »

You're only likely to need a leveller if you go for more speed. Then they become almost essential. At slower speed the boats natural weight stability helps keep it steady.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 12:08:04 pm »

The words 'speed' and 'Neptune' shouldn't really be used in the same sentence...

Rich
Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »

Well quite. But I think most people will be happier with something that moves along beyond a snail's pace.

Cobs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 01:56:28 pm »

If it could travel upriver that would be ideal, so not so much speed but enough power to make headway, im quite happy mind cruising downriver but know id probably have to walk downriver to retrieve it as is.

I seen a photo of one that had been modified with 2 motors at the rear, that would probably be too much work for me, wondering if theres an "attachment" you could add that could help in this situation (self contained motor/prop strap on kit) - perhaps 1 each side low down even. I know nothing of whats available/possible with subs in general but you can see im trying things out in my mind :)

Im going to FPV mine with a reversing cam/5.8 Video Buoy for now just to trial it at the pool, The Sb1's Video connecting bolt thing on the top - is the one used by the original video cable available to buy anywhere or is it unique to TTs own video lead system? I dont mind wiring my own through there if its available.

Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.