Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Catlow R I P  (Read 2087 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
John Catlow R I P
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:13 am »

Many older scale modellers will remember John Catlow of the Maidstone MBC who has just died after a short illness. John was very active in the MPBA scale section in the 1970s and, among many other things, lent his professional seafaring knowledge to the development of scale course design.

John's son Richard has written to Paul Freshney and his email is reproduced below. I will post further details of John's funeral when they become available.

Colin

Dear Paul,

Apologies if this is something of a bolt out of the blue, but I have some sad news for you. My Dad, John Catlow passed away on the 3rd February after a (thankfully) very short illness battling Leukemia.

You may not be aware, but I emigrated to Wellington, New Zealand, two and a half years ago, with partner Heidi and son, Haydn. We are all planning to return in the next week or so to attend to what has to be done and we will pass on the details of the funeral arrangements once they have been decided.

Our distance from the UK makes contact with all of Dad's old model boating friends difficult and if possible it would be very helpful if you could pass on the news to those he knew from his association with the MPBA. We have a few contact details, but not many. He maintained his interest in model boating right to the end, taking an interest in my extremely slow and sporadic progress in building a Modellbau Sievers kit (7 years and counting......) He continued to take Model Boats until the end and was always passing on details of what was going on and what was new to the market in his regular e-mails and telephone calls to me. If you or any of the "old crowd" he knew are able to make the funeral, we would be very grateful and pleased to see you then.

Richard Catlow

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: John Catlow R I P
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:34 am »

I remember John very well, he signed my MPBA judges certificate (cat C) and which still adorns the wall of my workshop. John was instrumental in organising the scale MPBA seminars at Leicester, I think it was, were judging course were undertaken interspaced with some excellent lectures.

John was a Master with the Strick Line and photographed virtually everything that went on about him. It was and I hope still is a fine archive, which I hope will looked after by the family for the future generations.

My sincere condolences to Richard and the rest of the family.

LB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »

Yes, John did a huge amount for the scale modelling side of the hobby. He was a great support to me when I was MPBA Scale Secretary But a lot of people that were active in those days are either no longer with us or not active model boaters. They were Glory Days indeed though!

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:57:22 pm »

I am now advised that John's funeral details are as follows:

26th February at 14:45 at Vinters Park Crematorium, Bearsted Road, Maidstone ME14 5LG

A location map can be found here: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Vinters+Park+Crematorium/@51.283361,0.550702,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x690e67cc2732086a

My Dad asked for no flowers, but a donation to the RNLI.

It appears that not many of the 'old crowd' are still around or active in model boating but I guess that time passes and things move on.

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:58:13 am »

Sincere condolences to the family.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:54:18 am »

Likewise, our condolences to the family.

RIP John.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.