Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: brushless esc and servo tester  (Read 2419 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
brushless esc and servo tester
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:25:25 am »

Hi all, I have 3 brushless esc's and in the past found that I have trouble running from 2 ch equipment.  I can change over to 4 ch RC, set up esc and go back to 2 ch RC and it now works.  I never found out why.

So yesterday I was asked about running a brushless esc from a servo tester.  This was from a researcher who did not need RC but wanted testing ability for brushless motors.

I was using a Hitec 3 ch Tx. and this only got one of the esc's twitching the other 2 esc's failed to do anything.  My batteries were OK although the Tx battery was down a bit.  But it ran brushed  esc and servo no problem.

The servo tester failed to operate the brushless equipment.  Otherwise the servo tester works well on brushed esc and servos.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
regards Roy

inertia

Re: brushless esc and servo tester
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:46:18 am »

Roy
All I can think of is the voltage of the signal pulse from each of the different receivers and testers, all other things being equal. The industry standard used to be +5.0v but I know, for example, that some Futaba receivers are as low as 2.4v. You'd need a 'scope to check them.
Where is Pete Keirle (PMK) when you need him?  {:-{
Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:06:16 am »

There might be some cleverness built into the ESCs such that they need what they consider to be a valid signal, or sequence of signals, before they arm.  This will often be a few seconds at neutral, but could involve start at neutral, then a waggle of the stick to show full forward and reverse, or a combination.  Some programmable ESCs might not all come out of the factory with the same settings, or might at some stage have been accidentally re-programmed.  Sometimes it helps to re-read the instructions in the presence of the ESC so that it KNOWS that you are following the instructions, and has no choice but to behave itself.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:37:22 pm »

Hi thanks for the responses.  I shall do a full charge of everything and have standby Tx's and work my way through
.  I will respond with results if any.

Malcolm I very much go along with your last sentence, I sometimes have to threaten electrical items with re-cycling unless I see an improvement and it often works.
And now with inteligent appliances I am working on a knowing cold stare to get compliance.
best regards,
Roy

inertia

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:47:36 pm »

Roy
I've found that very, very naughty words spoken loudly in a Geordie accent usually does the trick with anything electronic. I've no idea why, but would you pick a fight with Jimmy Nail? Me neither.
Dave M

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:57:56 pm »

Dave, I wouldn't pick a fight with Cheryl Cole /Hernandez or what ever it is now.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »

Hi, I have been doing some checks this afternoon and started with my 4ch Tx 40 megs.  After a bit I found that my test motor had a broken wire in the sleeving which explained some glitches.
I then used an installed brushless motor and this set up and worked as expected using in turn 2 different esc's.
I then connected in turn both esc's to the servo tester and they worked fine.
So my cheepo servo tester seems good (99p inc postage).
regards to respondants,
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.