Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I Bet She Wishes she had not asked the question  (Read 10740 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I Bet She Wishes she had not asked the question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »

Very good link and confirms our way of thinking. :-)) :-)) O0 O0

Similar questions are asked on TV panels here but answered using political correctness, however the majority of us  still call a spade a spade

O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:54 pm »

Guys.....I sincerely hope this thread does not denigrate to any form of religious/political overtone & hence subjected to the BLUE padlock

So it up to us, lets please keep it clean :-))....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:37:12 am »

While what she was saying is what 90% of the rest of the world believes, this would not beat the political correctness in this country! In fact I'm glad it was a black woman saying this because a white person would never have got away without some charge being leveled at them.

Having said that, I found the guy on the left of the panel the best, his facial tones were so funny to watch.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:58 am »

however the majority of us  still call a spade a spade

Calling a spade a spade and being gratuitously offensive often just depend on what side of the conversation you are on!

In most cases calling a spade a spade simply dogmatically states your own viewpoint, alienates the other party and leaves no room for a meeting of minds which might actually resolve the issue under 'discussion'.

But of course it makes people 'feel better'.

That is not to say that you shouldn't tell it like it is when the situation warrants it but people often don't distinguish between this and simply venting their prejudices - it can be a fine line sometimes.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:36:55 am »

Well.....it is not my intention to change the understanding of this thread %)...but to call "all a spade a spade"....

My understanding of to "call a spade a spade" did not include emotion <*<....so I asked alternate sources

Wikipedia certainly has an alternate view in the meaning of  to "call a spade a spade"

To "call a spade a spade" is a figure of speech which explicitly calls out something as it is, by its right name. The implication is not to lie about what something is and instead to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity, unpleasant, or embarrassing nature.[1]

I have also checked this with Professor Tulloch [Head of English] from the Flinders University in Adelaide who suggests the previous posting here on MBM [at 10:46:58 AM] is simply an individuals opinion rather than the accepted learned understanding of the text......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:15 pm »

For a sensible perspective scroll down the comments to 2/7/14 23.59.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »

Jonty...... "comments to 2/7/14 23.59" .....??????????????

This was a new thread raised yesterday... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:53 pm »

This spade thing was kind of discussed last week with Eamon Holmes on Sky news.
What they basically said was that there are far too many people around today who are quite happy to say "I'm offended by what you've just said" The answer and one I totally agree with was 'Tough. Last time I looked it wasn't against the law to offend you'

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »

Derek - go to the blog and scroll down the comments there.

Whilst I agree with much of the sentiment, I think it needs to be understood that this woman is a Christian fundamentalist with a far right agenda.

God preserve us from all fundamentalists - Muslim, Christian, Hindu - and, for that matter aggressive atheists.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »

Point taken Derek, but unfortunately a lot of people do apply the emotional dimension when they stray from facts into opinions.

The other thing of course is that calling a spade a spade in the defined sense doesn't always help a situation. OK if you simply want to make your position clear with no arguments but very often you need to hold back a bit if you are to achieve what you want by negotiation such as dealing with a clearly incompetent bureaucracy for example.

It's the same with white lies. If your other half asks you 'does my bum look big in this?' then calling a spade a spade may not lead to a happy outcome...

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 12:34:54 pm »

God preserve us from all fundamentalists - Muslim, Christian, Hindu - and, for that matter aggressive atheists.

Couldn't agree more (and add rivet counters to the list)  - but is there a God do you think?  ok2

Colin

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 12:37:58 pm »

Thin ice, Colin, thin ice...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 12:56:42 pm »

Yes, we will just have to preserve ourselves, after all the ancient Egyptians managed it.... (athough history doesn't tell us what happened to their Daddies!)

Colin

inertia

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:33 pm »

(although history doesn't tell us what happened to their Daddies!)
Colin
Is this a ketchup joke, Admiral?
As for preserving ourselves, me and my friend Jack Daniels are working on a cunning plan to pickle a human body from the inside. It's a very slow process so far - thankfully.  8)
DM

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 03:53:56 pm »

%) Our ancient ancestors threw bodies into the bogs of northern europe ( a lot without the owners permission) which done a good job of preservation something to do with lack of oxygen in the bog offering for the goddess of water,but like DM I prefer going down the Jack Daniels route much more fun,Ray, %)     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 04:01:45 pm »

Yes, I agree with DM on internal preservation. There is rarely enough oxygen in the bog...

Colin

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 06:48:14 pm »

I'm a 'dark rum man' myself. %)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 06:58:05 pm »

Oh I dunno, Glen Fiddich is a decent enough bloke to help with the problem and another close chum is Gordon Gin!

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:59 pm »

could some kind person tell me what the question was my speaker on laptop not very clear  or cannot it be  printed here 

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 07:12:43 pm »

{-) Lets get one thing straight it is only for medicinal purposes to keep the cold out, I get no pleasure whatsoever from drinking it,that's my story and I sticking to it,Ray. {-) {-) {-) {-)     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 09:30:48 pm »

Without being sceptical %)...this was an American produced video of an American gathering of people with a chosen host panel

We see and hear from one member of the public Saba Ahmed...yes an American Muslim law student with views of the far right [according to Google]...

What was the name of the TV show?
Was Ms Ahmed invited to the gathering?
What was the criteria or advertised topic of discussion?....[we were not told, however we could conclude it somehow related to the deaths of four American nationals]

On the other side of the content is Brigitte Gabriel.....rhetorically using the term so purposefully that 'the peaceful majority were irrelevant'.......which is all too true, however I could not believe a humble individual could confirm word by word all of those % of deaths of people from different faiths or from political arenas of conflict....

I acknowledge I had not heard of Brigitte Gabriel...until Google confirmed she was the founder of the American Congress for Truth and ACT! for America

So I certainly am not disagreeing with the comments portrayed by Ms Gabriel, however I wonder if Ms Ahmed knew she was walking into a loins den

So for me.......it's OK & 'lets get back to tin tacks' and without emotion 'call a spade a spade'......... O0.... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 01:43:24 am »

It appears, I hope I am wrong, but reading all the commentary on this thread, that the ability to call a spade a spade, as stated by some of the commentary, is no longer possible in the UK. :(( :((

Whilst some, are trying to drag us Australians to such a miserable position, we are resisting this madness, namely political correctness. We Aussies value the truth and abhor PC and all that rubbish. <*< <*<

You will note that the clip  referred to political correctness and telling it how it is, namely a spade is a spade, it is not a shovel, it is not an earth moving implement, even when used as such, etc,  etc, etc, it is still a spade. :-)) :-))

Looking from afar, I gain the impression via the comments that Political correctness in the UK is the order of the day irrespective of truth. :o :o

I am of the hope that, we Australians, who were established by descendants from the Mother Country and speak English, will win out and continue calling a spade a spade, as we have done since the first fleet.

The clip demonstrates quite clearly and the questioner acknowledges that Islam is NOT a religion but an ideology. Which is what communism also is, namely an ideology?  Digressing, Communism is illegal and banned in some counties, so why not Islam it is far worse than Communism. Back to the thread. %% %%

How this thread got onto centre, left, right, Christian, Political correctness, etc,etc, escapes me, but a spade is still a spade, as the originator of this thread asked, I repeat,  yes I think, she regretted asking the loaded question and was shot down in flames by a person calling a spade a spade. :-)) :-)) O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:03 pm »

I asked the question honestly as one of the points made here was we should negotiate with these people after they had cut off your head or burned you to death in a steel cage. I see it was removed. I lived in Aden for a year & unless you have, you will never be able to explain to most Western people how most of these people think & act. Life has no value to some of these people & we had better use that as a starting point when dealing with the situation we now find ourselves in. If we don't we will find ourselves in the same situation we did with Hitler. Next time we may not win. I am calling a spade a spade from experience. Mick B.
Mick B.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »

Mick, There has been another blackout on the forum today and yesterday's posts have been lost again! No posts were removed, they just sort of got lost in cyberspace!

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.