Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cricket World Cup (or here we go again....)  (Read 9066 times)

inertia

Cricket World Cup (or here we go again....)
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:24:08 am »

Just before our colonial cousins start to gloat (as was pretty much inevitable), I thought I'd start this one off by pointing out that England have redefined losing as "snatching disaster from the jaws of defeat". From the moment Woakes dropped Finch you knew they should have stayed on the plane and come straight back home. As for Morgan, is three ducks from four ODI innings that much better than Cook's woeful ODI record? I bet Pieterson is wetting himself laughing.
Oz vs the Proteas - that will be one helluva final.
I shall console myself this afternoon by watching England flatten poor old Italy in the Six Nations - or will they??  :o
Dave M

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cricket World Cup (or here we go again....)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:11:27 am »

:-)...gloat?....never ..... we are simply humble sportspersons   ... Derek   :P
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 11:45:52 am »

Derek
Maybe wait until you come up against an opposition who actually know how to play limited overs cricket? And please don't be humble - it's not something a true Okker should aspire to at all. I prefer you lot just the way you are, because it makes the rare occasion when we do beat you at something all the sweeter!  :kiss:
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:53:15 pm »

Gloat?....Us?...never, well, maybe just a little %)  Someone from the England camp (I can't remember who) made the bold statement prior to the World Cup that Australia wouldn't even make the semi finals :o Maybe we won't, but at least we beat England convincingly, although who knows what would have happened if the catch off Finch had been held. The true test will come against South Africa, but the Kiwis are on a roll at present, having steam rolled South Africa in a warm up game, and are my early tip to make the final.

Peter.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:07:32 pm »

Not being a cricket fan but seeing the news item on the tv the team are just as bad as the English football lot, I don't know why they bother turning up. Atrocious performance by alleged professionals what happened to the word effort?
       Peter.

inertia

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »

Atrocious performance by alleged professionals what happened to the word effort?
       Peter.
I hate to agree with Geoffrey Boycott but there are quite a number of current England players who aren't even half as good as they think they are. There's a line in a Pink Floyd song which says "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way". Maybe Roger Waters had the national cricket team in mind when he wrote it. You'd certainly be forgiven for thinking that Peter Moores has that line written on his office wall under the heading "Match Game Plan".
Off to watch Wales vs Scotland - now that should be interesting and quite definitely not lacking in effort from either side.
DM

inertia

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:47:39 am »

Well...........even I hadn't expected England to be last in a group of seven teams. We knew NZ were good but that wasn't even a game; it was a massacre of apparently willing victims. If I were Peter Moores I'd be scanning the Sits Vac columns already. The kindest thing that could happen to the England team now would be an outbreak of norovirus in the dressing room. That would spare us all the ignominy of further defeat by Bangladesh, Scotland and Afghanistan. They are a disgrace.
DM

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:45:00 pm »

You know you love it, Sire...

Rich (not a fan of anything to do with balls)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

inertia

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:04:08 pm »

I'm off to the pub now to select a new team with best mate Dave. He's probably the only Irish member of Notts CCC!
DM

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 08:52:02 pm »

Look guys, is it not time we just accepted that as a one day Team, England are simply not very good. Any one who knows anything about the game can see that. Let's not be too hard on a team that is simply very poor.....We need to do what Australia did after three consecutive Ashes defeats......rebuild with determination and flair.....It will take time..

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:56 pm »

Very well put, Barry :-))  As I said in an earlier post on this thread, in my opinion New Zealand are the team to beat, and their total destruction of England bears this assertion out.

Unfortunately, Australia have only played one match in the competition so far, whereas NZ have played three. The Aussie's match against Bangladesh, due to be played in Brisbane today (Saturday) seems highly unlikely to go ahead, following more than 300 mm of rain during the last couple of days thanks to Cyclone Marcia. The deluge has left the Brisbane ground (The Gabba) very soggy and, while Cricket Australia are hopeful, the ground curator has said that play would be next to impossible. This will mean that the Aussies may well be short of game time, something which may have an adverse effect as the tournament progresses.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 07:26:44 am »

.........or they may just be well rested Peter!  %)

I really do think that Australia, closely followed by NZ are the reams to beat, and deservedly so.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 09:42:26 pm »

Dave M, if you thought England were bad spare a thought for Pakistan, utterly demolished by the West Indies. At one stage they had lost their top four batsmen for just one run, and only scored 160 in reply to the Windies 310 :o . Not even England sank that low {-)

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 11:17:15 pm »

Dave M, if you thought England were bad spare a thought for Pakistan, utterly demolished by the West Indies. At one stage they had lost their top four batsmen for just one run, and only scored 160 in reply to the Windies 310 :o . Not even England sank that low {-)
Peter.

Peter
They could have 'lost' those wickets for about $100,000 apiece. Say what you like about Pakistan but their boys sure have form for knowing how to make the game pay..........
DM

@ last

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:41 pm »

Feeling a bit low today  :((

As a 'Saffa' I have to admit that our team received a hiding second to none by the Indians ... bah, humbug  >>:-(

Oh well, maybe we'll be able to redeem ourselves at the next match  :-)

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 04:30:20 pm »

The problem is that these early games are not played under real pressure. It is possible to lose three games from six and still get in the quarter finals. I think this is the main reason why the next World Cup is being played between less teams....

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 05:02:53 pm »

Just returned from Christchurch and having seen how many kids play organised cricket it's no wonder that the Kiwi's are doing well.
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 09:50:50 pm »

Just returned from Christchurch and having seen how many kids play organised cricket it's no wonder that the Kiwis are doing well.

It's the same here in Australia. Just about every boy, and lots of girls, will play organised cricket, either through their schools or through junior clubs. Cricket academies are in many country towns, and many prominent cricketers hold coaching days, all sponsored by Cricket Australia.

Dave M, you are right about the Pakistanis knowing how to make their cricket pay O0 , their record in that department is second to none.

I have to say I was surprised at how comprehensively South Africa were beaten by India, I thought the Saffas were better than that.

I agree that some countries should probably not be in the World Cup, Afghanistan is one that comes to mind. On the other hand, countries such as Ireland and Scotland, neither of which is regarded as "mainstream" cricketing nations, are quite capable of pulling of  some dramatic upsets, and have both done so in the past. It will be very interesting to see how England performs against Scotland today in New Zealand.

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »

England beaten by Bangladesh. Words fail me - except perhaps 'unsurprising'. I wonder how much it would cost the ECB to hire Shane Warne as England coach?
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:16 pm »

I wonder how much it would cost the ECB to hire Shane Warne as England coach?

Not much, beer on tap, unlimited smokes, and a good mobile phone so he can keep texting %%

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »

Not much, beer on tap, unlimited smokes, and a good mobile phone so he can keep texting %%
Peter.

Peter
Do you have his phone number?
Dave M

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »

DM....if Peter doesn't have Warnies mobile number...just ask 1/2 the  :kiss: :kiss: sheilas in UK........ they will know it  {-) .. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 11:05:35 pm »

I see the Japanese Cricket Association has asked if the English Cricket Team would call into Japan and play them they need some practice...............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

inertia

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:37 am »

I see the Japanese Cricket Association has asked if the English Cricket Team would call into Japan and play them they need some practice...............
Roy
At what? Post-match victory celebrations? Guaranteed!
I gather that the England team have to stay in Oz until they've played their last group match on Friday. Won't that be fun for them? They are then allegedly being sent home via Charles de Gaulle International, from where they will be carried individually in light aircraft to land at various undisclosed private airfields in southern England. This is, of course, to minimise the impact of the huge crowds expected to welcome them back.
I'm off now to buy a map of UK airfields and shares in a tomato importers............... <*<
I feel desperately sorry for the hundreds of English cricket fans who've spent huge amounts of money and time following this band of losers.
DM

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 01:12:04 am »

I wonder what would Aliens say if they landed at a cricket match & saw grown men dressed in white & bashing a small round object as hard as they can with a piece of flat board with a handle & then the other guys chasing it, why not just give them the object & not get their nice white clothes dirty, but worse would be watching us mow the lawn & then water it straight away to make it grow again, just thinking that's all ????. We are a funny animal if you watch & observe, just saying, just saying ----- Mick B. <*< <*<
Mick B.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.