Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY smoke generator  (Read 25456 times)

Stoker04

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
DIY smoke generator
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:47:22 pm »

Hi guys, a few questions.

My corvette runs from a 6v battery, and I wanted to add a smoke generator, looking around I can't find a water unit (as opposed to a oil unit) that runs off 6v.

I was thinking of making one, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried this or indeed does know of something. I could buy.

Thanks
Alex

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: DIY smoke generator
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:52:23 pm »

I've seen some quite good ones made with inexpensive humidifier/misters bought of fleabay.  They operate at USB voltages.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:30 pm »

Have a look on the Wicksteed Park web site under tips from the man cave, I think that one cost less than £20 all in. I should add that I use it in one boat that runs on 6v, the unit draws its power from a small12v sla from component shop that will fit in most small spaces and lasts for about 1 Hour stepping up to 24v.

I have another boat that has no space to spare and the unit will work quite well off the motor battery, a 5000mah 7.2v getting around 19/20v out of the step up unit, so just play around,see what you can come up with.

Paul

wicksteedparkmbc.com

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 06:59:11 pm »

The issue is that most "sonic" humidifiers, or fog generators run on AC, or 18-24v DC.
I have seen some small coffee cup sized humidifiers that use a cotton wick to draw water to
the disc, but have not purchased any of them to use as smoke generators yet. Might be worth a fiver.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »

Hi guys, a few questions.

My corvette runs from a 6v battery, and I wanted to add a smoke generator, looking around I can't find a water unit (as opposed to a oil unit) that runs off 6v.

I was thinking of making one, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried this or indeed does know of something. I could buy.

Hi .
I have made several smoke units in diffrent sizes . I was asked this question can you get one to work off 6v. I try the voltage converter on a 6v bat at max gain . the converter would not work . Sorry the conters i have seen will not go down as low as 6V . The foggers new 24v to run them . You could look down the route of water vappor cigges ,they might run at a lower voltage but I do not know any thing on the stuff. Could you fit a small 12v sla bat in to you boat

john

Thanks
Alex

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »

My ESC took an objection to being cover in water when i flipped my boat over this morn. That made lots of smoke.  {-)
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Stoker04

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:43 pm »

This is what it's going in,going to try and improvise with some E cigs and a small computer fan,

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:53 am »

Hi Alex, as you probably know there are the Seuthe smoke generators usually used on model train
Set ups. But they use oil.

John

Stoker04

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:56 am »

Yes John I was also looking at these, number 491. I've seen a guy has installed it in his model Bismarck
The only worry about this I have is if it burns the oil too fast

RongTick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 05:57:41 am »

:-)) I think this is a great project

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 03:14:19 pm »

If it's any help this is the V4 super smoker I have in my tug, amount of smoke is varied with the throttle this one is 12 volt but a 6 to 8 volt is available it's made by a guy in Australia who sells them on ebay, and is without doubt the best smoke gen I've seen, it runs for a very long time on a 15 mil fill of fluid they aren't cheap but you can spend 24 pounds on a tiny seuthe that runs for a few minuets, the seller goes by the name Chopperflyboy on eBay and I got mine in 7 days well worth a look  :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »

Hi Had an oil smoke generator in a model loco once . Removed it after 30 min of use. What I found was from the chimney back there was a film of oil on the top of the loco .this was deposited by the smoke generator. My self I would not touch them with a barge pole .

john   

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »

One of the seaside arcades near us had a kiddies train ride
It puffed and puffed as it rocked back and forth and deposited an oily film on the kiddies. That was a smoker fed by a distillate.
However good the smoker is there will be a deposit of oil on your
pristine model.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »

The thing that I found with the small Seuthe type they do tend to crackle and spit oil Resulting
In oily deposits on the model.

John

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:32:58 pm »

I've had no problems with oil residue up to now, agreed the seuthe ones do tend to spit oil, this one does not.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 06:25:03 pm »

The full sized Ships that belched smoke must have deposited soot/oil on the ship so either you want your model to look realistic or ,,,,,,,,, %)

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 06:52:53 pm »

has anyone tried using fog machine fluid instead of oil? the stuff they use in fogging machines to fill nightclubs up with fog?  just an idea ok2
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »

Yes, that's what I use in mine.
John

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »

has anyone tried using fog machine fluid instead of oil? the stuff they use in fogging machines to fill nightclubs up with fog?  just an idea ok2
Yes I have in a oil based unit and No it dose not work and its about £7.50 per liter.

Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Stoker04

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 02:07:37 pm »

So I've started experimenting and getting some bits together.

I've purchased a small project box off eBay which will act as the oil reservoir ( the oil is going to be standard baby oil from boots)

A small computer fan that runs off 3-6 v dc
Some heating element wire, from a friend that builds E cigarettes
A small length of fire rope (the fibreglass style rope found on fireplace door seals) ( this will be the wick)

I still need to purchase some plastic pipe and right angle pieces to make the "chimney"

My next question is this

My power supply is a 6v dc 4ah lead acid battery (graupner)
I have been experimenting with the heating element, I need it to create enough heat to make smoke, but also balance it so that there is not a massive current drain therefore making the running time an acceptable level.

I still need to establish how I will connect the supplies for both the fan and the element, some people suggest connecting it to the output on the ESC , I like the idea of this as it will give a realistic amount of smoke when the motor is running, or I can wire it in directly having it run constantly.

With regards to the resistance of the heating element, essentially this is just modified by the amount of coils I put in the wire (wrapping around a small screwdriver) at the moment.

At the moment of testing I have 2 ohms resistance, but this has a huge current draw, does anyone know the average resistance of a 6v smoke generator coil? I've been looking at Seuth model train ones and they suggest around 15-20 ohms

Alex

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 02:14:57 pm »

Couple of joss sticks in a copper tube.
A couple of hours run time
A couple of pence cost.
Ask Krishna.  O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »

So I've started experimenting and getting some bits together.

I've purchased a small project box off eBay which will act as the oil reservoir ( the oil is going to be standard baby oil from boots)

A small computer fan that runs off 3-6 v dc
Some heating element wire, from a friend that builds E cigarettes
A small length of fire rope (the fibreglass style rope found on fireplace door seals) ( this will be the wick)

I still need to purchase some plastic pipe and right angle pieces to make the "chimney"

My next question is this

My power supply is a 6v dc 4ah lead acid battery (graupner)
I have been experimenting with the heating element, I need it to create enough heat to make smoke, but also balance it so that there is not a massive current drain therefore making the running time an acceptable level.

I still need to establish how I will connect the supplies for both the fan and the element, some people suggest connecting it to the output on the ESC , I like the idea of this as it will give a realistic amount of smoke when the motor is running, or I can wire it in directly having it run constantly.

With regards to the resistance of the heating element, essentially this is just modified by the amount of coils I put in the wire (wrapping around a small screwdriver) at the moment.

At the moment of testing I have 2 ohms resistance, but this has a huge current draw, does anyone know the average resistance of a 6v smoke generator coil? I've been looking at Seuth model train ones and they suggest around 15-20 ohms

Alex

I think you are looking for around 5 ohms then that would be 1.25  amp. I use a Maplin 10 watt resister 10 ohms for a 12 v unit that i make. So if you was to use a 5 ohm 10 watt resister for 6 volt  i think that would be just fine. I make my own smoke units but im not allowed to sell them ?
Oh by the way if you stop the fan the unit will overheat maybe fire up! so best to leave the fan going all the time on Oil heated units. If you make a demister water based unit it is safe to turn the fan off or do what ever speed you need.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 03:40:53 pm »

Just like this.
I use Outdoor lamp oil in mine and they work just well. Only £5 for a liter bottle as well and a bottle will last a long time.

Stoker04

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 04:03:01 pm »

So I should make the heating element 5 ohms resistance?? Or are you saying I need to have a resistor in the circuit too? Also how do you wire your fan and heating element into the model?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »

So I should make the heating element 5 ohms resistance?? Or are you saying I need to have a resistor in the circuit too? Also how do you wire your fan and heating element into the model?

The Heater is the resister No wire element is used. It is all mounted on a PCB inside the unit made by me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.