Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY smoke generator  (Read 25454 times)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Re: DIY smoke generator
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 04:11:08 pm »

So I should make the heating element 5 ohms resistance?? Or are you saying I need to have a resistor in the circuit too? Also how do you wire your fan and heating element into the model?

Take a look at this.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/wirewound-10-watt-47-ohm-resistor-h4r7
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Stoker04

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 04:54:41 pm »

So that resistor gets hot and makes smoke from the oil, does it have a wick wrapped around it? Do you have any photos of the inside of your smoke generators?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »

So that resistor gets hot and makes smoke from the oil, does it have a wick wrapped around it? Do you have any photos of the inside of your smoke generators?

Oh yes it works. I wrap plumbers heat prof mat around the resister made from carbon mat.  I don't have any pics of the inside.  PM me.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 05:18:06 pm »

has anyone tried using fog machine fluid instead of oil? the stuff they use in fogging machines to fill nightclubs up with fog?  just an idea ok2

Yes I use Maplins Fogging Liquid.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 06:06:25 am »

Well when I get a moment, or Golden Week ends, I will order up one of these and
see how well they actually work. ... USB 5v cup humidifiers.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:51 am »

Umi,
        They sure do (Model Boats May 2013).  It is a discrete smoke effect but maybe for that reason a shade more realistic than vast masses of steam billowing out of a models funnel?  I will also work on a 4.8 volt supply, at last a use for all those spare receiver battery packs!
But, try to use distilled water.  We live in a hard water area, lots of dissolved minerals and the diaphragm through which the jet of "steam" escapes tends to become blocked after a while.  Cleaning with something like vinegar seems to restore its function.
Glynn Guest

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:43 pm »

Thank's Glynn,
Good to know. I have had my eyes on these for years, but my personal builds were
a bit kiboshed by the economy, so even a cheap cup humidifier was a bit excess for
continuing the tug I started in 2009.

Back when that community shop closed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UERzbvbi--Y

It feels good to begin imagining and designing for the boat again.
 :-))

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:16 pm »

Re: smoke genorators
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »   

All you need is a small reservoir, a small computer chip cooling fan, some NI-Chrome wire (heating element out of an old hair dryer will do), a  short length of dowel or similar, a small piece of WOVEN fibreglass cloth, 12 volt battery, disco fog fluid (available from Maplins), plastic or copper tubing for the flue to the funnel and a couple of screw block connectors.

To work out the length of the Ni-CH wire needs a bit of trial and error to get right, you need the wire long enough for the fog fluid to burn off but not get red hot.
Next, wrap the glass cloth around the dowel to act as a wick and spiral the Ni-CH wire around that making sure the wire doesn't overlap. Use the choc. block connectors to connect the power feed wires to the Ni-Ch wire (solder doesn't work for some reason) and place dowel at an angle in the reservoir with the wick in the fluid but not the element. Secure the computer chip fan to the reservoir. Fill  the reservoir with fluid up to the bottom of the element and connect up the power and switch on.
I have done a schematic drawing to try to explain how I did it, it's easier than it looks.

smoke generator.jpg (69.12 KB, 956x601 - viewed 34 times.)

This was posted by Captain in 2008.
I made one and it works fine.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:54 am »

Found some on fleBay - do a search for 'USB Humidifier' or '5v Humidifier'
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HUNTER

• Hunter
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Is my cocoa ready yet?
    • Hunter Systems
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 09:01:35 am »

Found some on fleBay - do a search for 'USB Humidifier' or '5v Humidifier'

Or Martin, you could support the Uk manufacturers such as www.huntersystems.co.uk who originally designed and developed at great cost, <:( products such as the Smoke Generator along with many other items that get copyed on a regular basis.
Regards
Graham
Is my cocoa ready yet?

Stavros

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »

Hear hear.....this really cheeses me off big time as not only you but Marc ...model boat bits have both developed cracking systems.....I got chastised on here a few years back for saying what you just have.....suppose we both will get it in the neck now

Dave

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 04:29:48 pm »

Or Martin, you could support the Uk manufacturers such as www.huntersystems.co.uk who originally designed and developed at great cost, <:( products such as the Smoke Generator along with many other items that get copyed on a regular basis.
Regards
Graham

Trouble is its usually whatever is cheapest. For instance you have the 'octo' a multi switch at almost 50 quid. I have one in my electronic parts drawer with 7 channels from HobbyKing it cost me 7 quid! Mine's just a board with the connectors, not encapsulated or in a posh box, but it does the same job.

People will always search out the best and then look for a cheaper alternative- its the way of the internet.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 05:26:19 pm »

Still trying to use just water though.
I bought a lot of JJC systems, and he started out top notch.
It wasn't till the sound systems started skipping at speed, that issues arose, and were never corrected.
For the USA, Harbor Models would be the local manufacturer, but again it is an oil system, not water.
 {:-{

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 05:47:29 pm »

What are Morrisons Supermarkets using over some of their Vegetable Counters, they send out a fog over the Veg,.

Len.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »

What are Morrisons Supermarkets using over some of their Vegetable Counters, they send out a fog over the Veg,.

Len.

Misting jets with chilled water under pressure.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 06:41:34 pm »

:-)

Hello

It is very easy to make, you buy sprays on the Internet from 23 euros part, the stirrup has simply to be covered with a centimeter of water .

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 08:42:55 pm »

My old 'African Queen' has been burning incense sticks soaked in baby oil for years now. Works out about 2p for 45 mins of realistic smoke. The copper funnel only gets slightly warm and the cold ash is collected in a pan in the 'boiler'. As a bonus the lake smells of whatever sticks I use, lavender, patchouli, jasmine etc  :}. No fans, batteries, wires, messy oils etc  just a bit of hassle getting the sticks prepared so I do them in bundles to last me all day. Amazing what imagination can do! O0

HUNTER

• Hunter
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Is my cocoa ready yet?
    • Hunter Systems
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:52 pm »

Trouble is its usually whatever is cheapest. For instance you have the 'octo' a multi switch at almost 50 quid. I have one in my electronic parts drawer with 7 channels from HobbyKing it cost me 7 quid! Mine's just a board with the connectors, not encapsulated or in a posh box, but it does the same job.

People will always search out the best and then look for a cheaper alternative- its the way of the internet.
Hi Brian,
Thank you for pointing out that Hobby King's price on a Rx switcher at £7, that is so low, we cannot even purchase the components for our unit at that price. As a matter of interest I have looked on the Hobby King site for a 8 function Rx switch of any type and price. Sorry, but they do not sell anything that can be even described as an 8 channel switch unit of any type at any price. Perhaps your purchase was awhile ago as no one at Hobby King can remember selling them.
By the way, the 'Octo' 8 way Switcher is £49.95 and we actually sell a great many, it is very popular. Let us hope that Hobby King don't see it as they may try and sell a cheap Chinese copy for £10 or less! or perhaps not. After 28 years in the business I can tell you that cheapest is not always the best. Did you say yours was still unused in your parts drawer? ;D
7 quid! That's a steal mate. Give me the link and I will buy some for myself.

By the way, our Smoke Generator is £38.95 and uses a water based distillate, which comes free with the purchase of a unit. Plus a selection of items to make the unit more active over a longer period. :-)) The cost of running the unit for the first 30 hours is ---FREE, after that the next bottle will cost you £1.60 which is a tad over 5.3p per hour for 30 hours.

Best Regards to you and enjoy Sunny Spain.
Is my cocoa ready yet?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 09:07:01 am »

Here's a link to the HobbyKing unit available from their UK warehouse. I'm not sure if the price will display € or £ .....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26114__Multi_Remote_Receiver_operated_on_off_Switch_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=multi%20remote%20switch

inertia

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 09:42:46 am »

Before anyone decides on placing a bulk order with our Chinese friends I'd point out that their seven-channel switcher can handle a maximum of 400mA (all at the same input voltage) on each channel. That's fine for lighting circuits BUT most smoke generators and certainly all the water pumps I've ever handled are heavier on current than 400mA. Graham's 8-channel unit is limited to 500mA per channel while the ACTion P62 has relays and, although just four channels, can conduct up to 3A per channel. You can also switch up to four different voltages with it.
There is also the usual caveat about Chinese QC to be considered i.e. there generally is none, and the after-sales service from these ROC suppliers is not known as the best in the trade. There is only one way to make things stupidly cheap and that is to cut corners. I prefer my corners sharp.
BTW Is there any reason why this thread is under Full Scale Ships?
DM

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:45 am »

I have used commercially produced smoke units and I have made my own. Commercial ones work, home mades take some serious tweaks to reach efficiency... sometimes I just channel the smoke coming out of my ears! Sometimes I channel that smoke caused by hearing about the benefits of purchasing from that great nation whose greatest contributions to the world are a stuffing great wall, fireworks, and getting away with copying the rest of the worlds product for the last twenty years, passing it off as their own and getting us stupid earholes to give them our money rather than give it to the people who have worked honestly to earn that money...
So the lesson is copy, produce poorly, undercut the quality product, drive them out of business and....THE WORLD IS OURS!!!! HA HA HA! ( Imagine someone stroking a white cat at this point..)

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »

( Imagine someone stroking a white cat at this point..)

Good evening Misty Pond   {-) {-) %%

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »

undercut *******, drive them out of business and....
THE WORLD IS OURS!!!! HA HA HA! ( Imagine someone stroking a white cat at this point..)

Seriously, these two points undercut and out of business.
My dad used to talk about those ethics when he worked for the
restaurants in the Seattle Chinatown, making noodles as a kid for "Uncle PJ".
It would have been the '30-'40s. And I imagine, that PJ wasn't an actual
relative, though I met him on occasion. My dad would say, ...
"They sell for seven dollars, we sell for six, they sell for five dollars we
sell for two and a half... They sell for one dollar, we give away free with
purchase of dinner, take that you go out of business,... now go away."

Seriously...  :o

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »

Could we please get back to the original post.

John

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

Could we please get back to the original post.

John

Here here !
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.