Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley Y2K Hull  (Read 7356 times)

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
Waverley Y2K Hull
« on: May 23, 2006, 05:43:41 pm »

Hi All

Does anyone have any experence or comments on the Waverley Models Y2K hull and plans

Thanks
Richard

John C

Re: Waverley Y2K Hull
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:33:09 am »

Richard

I'd pay Mike a visit if you're passing, I just collected my Y2K hull and plans on Monday he was really helpful and gave advice freely. I followed up on an earlier thread (see thames barge) by sending off for his catalogue but I'd save the fiver if I was you.
What you get is a fibreglass hull (this does have a couple of tiny blemishes but nothing to worry about, Mike said mine was about number 850 so the mould has been well used) a full size drawing which is miles too big for any wall space in my workshop and an instruction booklet made up of photocopied A4 sheets.
Apart from removing the flash left on at the bows to remove hull from the mould, I haven't started the build proper yet, property maintenance getting in the way at the moment.
Mike's workshop is next door to a joiners and he gets access to a lot of offcuts of timber that are useless to the joiners but great for model making, he gave me some of these for the deck beams free which I thought was good of him. He also said he was quite happy for me to ring for advice if I got stuck at any time during the build, and judging by the number of people turning up during the short time I was there plenty do.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:49:38 am »

I'll totally agree, Mike is a mine of information you can't go wrong with his hulls. I am looking forward to when he gets his next batch of Waverley hulls in. You will find him very freindly and helpful, I would recommend him to anyone he is an absolute gem.

No connection just a very satisfied customer

Daryl

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:22:42 am »

I second these remarks had reason to ring the gentleman last week he was so helpfull and the plans he promised were with me the next day
                                          Cheers
                                               Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:36:49 am »

When made up the Y2K sails in most conditions - we have great fun on our lake with the various ones sailing, I understnad there are also quite a few of them now sailing in Australia or New Zealand.

Mike will always help you out if stuck with a modelling problem, and not necessarily with just his own hulls etc.

Some people put a bowsprit on, others leave it off, the beauty of this hull is that you can customise the plans to whatever you desire.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:24:20 am »

Hi All

Thanks very much for the information.

Had a long chat with Mike, and as you say he is very helpful

Thanks again
Richard

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 11:48:49 am »

I have seen the hull in his workshop on June 2nd, it looks very good.

Daryl

John C

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 06:52:27 pm »

well Gentlemen, that got the ball rolling didn't it.
I have to say I have no connection with Mike either, and this was my first purchase from him (possibly not the last though) he does bear an uncanny resemblance to the bloke on the super models series that sky broadcast during the winter though!!
I'd like to ask BlueWotsit if he knows of any pit falls when building this model. when I got home, like I said previously, I live up North.
I realised that although the instructions for the standard build call for a flat deck (but I haven't read them through properly yet) the transom has a rounded top to it (as supplied), which I thought a bit odd and tried to google for images on the web but nowt came up.
Like I said, I haven't started build proper yet but if after I've taken real time to read provided info in detail and got my head round things (it is my first working sail model after all) and I'm still unsure.......I'll be ringing Mike for sure.
In the mean time any input from you fellas is welcome.
By the way Tester I'd be interested to know if you if you decide to build the same model and see how we go on, have you built any scale sail before?

John C

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 06:59:52 pm »

What does the plan show ..............that would be a good start. I have a CD that was sent to me with a plan and all the pics seem to show flat deck
                                                                                Cheers
                                                                                    Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

John C

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 08:13:10 pm »

Bob B
The plan shows the layout of the deck beams, the instuction manual  says to to glue a lenghth of sandpaper to a piece of wood (usual stuff) and sand deck beams, bulwark strips, hull sides level.
But I am aware that Mike also produces a transom extension for this model, so I think (only think mind) that this may have something to do with that ...........could be wrong!!
Amy ideas?

John C

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:15:34 am »

John - cant comment fully on building as Im still learning the trade on building ships, so I took the easy option and bought one from another club member.

The hull is on my Xmas pressy list- if you ring Mike he will answer the questions you raised easily
 - one of the guys in our cliub is due to start work on a Y2k shortly with the extension fitted, so will be interested to see how it goes

If you want I can email you some pics of assorted Y2k's sailing, as I have a few !! pm me your email address if you want

John C

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 07:48:00 pm »

Hi blue wotsit
I've posted a personal mail for you, I really appreciate the lifeline offered so if I can return the favour don't hesitate to let me know.
It would be interesting  to find out, if Tester decided to build on the same hull and perhaps you did the same even though you already own an example, what the end results would be. you never know as we're all newbies we might even break new ground!....what do you think?

John C

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 10:20:46 pm »

John

Emailed the pics. Also if you look at the Pilot Cutter thread I started you will see a Y2K in the picture

Andrew

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 10:12:03 am »

Andrew

Would it be possible for you to email the pics to me to.

I have sent pm with my email address

Thanks
Richard

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 03:03:24 pm »

no problem

John C

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

Finally got it finished at last, varnish resembles Carl Maldons nose but it'll keep for another day.

John C

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:26:30 pm »

She looks good. I do like the Y2K hull.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 07:02:05 pm »

Now you just need a topsail to finish it off   8)

John C

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 08:23:01 am »

I think I need a bit more experience with the sail area as standard after last week. I took it to East park in Hull last Thursday when it was blowing a bit hard, ok at first boat was cracking on ok, but when the wind picked up a bit more,  I tried to turn, it would start to turn ok until it was side on to the wind then it just went sideways.
I'm not sure if it was me being optimistic bearing in mind the wind strength and lack of a keel, or if I need more ballast currently just under 2.5 kilo as I haven't used the gell cell 4ah battery that Mike recommended.
Anyway session finished with a fairly hefty collision with the concrete apron, give the boat it's due there's no serious damage just a bit of customised paintwork, so I think I've justified this as my first sail project as it's standing up to my amateurish abuse.

John C

John C

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 05:41:21 pm »

Me again
I've just returned from a few days spent down in the SW where I'd hoped to see a lot of scale sail at the the Clevedon marine pool extravaganza.
However due to the local vandals, the scale sail boys pulled out and I don't blame them one bit ( we have them here on the Yorkshire Wolds as well).
Anyway, I ended up purchasing another hull & plans from Mike for his Leigh Bawley (I need a bigger house now) so I'm looking for any help that's going with the build of this boat e.g. photos reference to books on the subject..... you know what I mean.
I've built a fair few models over the years, but the Y2K was the first working sail model and I've got the bug good and proper.
I don't belong to a club and normally do my own thing when it comes to model making & sailing my models (I'm not a perfection snob, and can't be doing with the politics of model making) but if anyone can recommend a club or society in my area that passes on knowledge with a cup of coffee and as freely as Mike Mayhew does ( even though he's in business to make money, but time doesn't seem to matter) then please let me know.
As an after thought, would anyone be interested in a build progress? I'm not in a rush to start this build, it's just that I was down to my last project and started to panic for what to do next. It wasn't much of a trauma as I'd already decided that I'd do another of Mike's.............but which one!!
I await feed back with a certain amount of fear, as I'm not sure if I'm ready for public humiliation but we'll see how it goes.
P.S I'm also about to come out of retirement and work full time Mon - Fri so it could be very slow progress.

John C (yes my name is John)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:34:19 am »

Hi John

How far are you from Hull
They seem to have a nice gang there  http://www.hullmodelboatgroup.co.uk/
They have a number of nice sailing yachts.

Would love to see a build log.

TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John C

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 11:37:13 am »

TT
I'm about 20 miles from Hull, but east park has no height restrictions at the entrance like they have at York which is nearer(I sometimes transport my boats in a high top van).
I don't tend to sail when the Hull group have their meets, but I have been along to a few and your right they do have quite a range of models.
the York club use a different lake in the winter at the university, but i haven't tried that one yet.
I also just found out that a local water park allows model boats for a launch fee of £1, there was an article in one of last months model magazines about it.
John C

BJH

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 01:10:21 pm »

Hi,

I have just taken delivery yesterday of a Y2K  hull and it looks pretty good, no blemishes that I have spotted so far. I sent the order to Mike on the 24th of September and I believe he said he was on holiday the following week so I think thats a pretty good delivery time. The current price he is asking for the  Y2K is  £58 + £15 carriage ( the website details are a bit out of date) which I think is also very reasonable.

Anyway the point of this is that while  I have a few ideas about what I would like to build with this hull, I would like to ask any other forum members that have used this hull if the could  post some pictures to help give me some further suggestions.

I am currently building a Morecambe Bay Prawner as my first project based also on a hull from Waverley Models.  Progress is fairly slow at the moment and I may decide to switch my efforts to the Y2K hull and build a simpler boat to allow me to gain experience before returning to the Prawner build.

So I'm looking for some ideas for the Y2K hull that will allow me to get something on the water hopefully next summer and would like to see what other forum members have built using this hull.

Thanks,

BJH.

John C

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 06:38:58 pm »

Sorry for not replying earlier, been a bit tied up as have returned to work temporarily for some christmas dosh.
If you have a trawl through the south west MB clubs web sites, Y2K's pop up with alarming frequency.
It was my first sail  model since returning to the hobby, and one with which I intend to master my limited model sailing ability before I have my next one ready for the water (a bawley as yet unstarted).
I hope this guy doesn't mind me mentioning him, but if you check back through this thread, blue wotsit sent me loads of photos and is a pal of mikes, helped me loads although he says he's new to the hobby.
Good luck with the Y2K.

John C
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.