Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 1866 times)

Floater

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hi there
« on: February 21, 2015, 11:02:00 am »

Hi there
I am in the middle of making a bait boat for delivering a bait in the open ocean and this is my first attempt at building one. I have a 4ft hull with a twin motor system, props and rudders. There are a couple of queries that I'm not sure about if anybody can help me with.

Picture 1 The shafts to me look very exposed, particularly when I'm using the boat in the sea. Would I be better supporting the shaft and have some sort of prop guard?

Picture 2 and 4 How do I link the two props to turn the same way and connect with the servo?

Picture 3 Is there supposed to be slack in the inner threaded shaft when the coupler and the prop is connected?

Thanks

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:11:48 pm »

Hi Floater
The shafts do indeed need support near the props by way of an A frame or P bracket, otherwise you will get a lot of vibrations, you don't necessarily need prop guards,  it looks like you are using brushless motors so you will need a brushless electronic speed controller this connects to your receiver, and your shafts should have a slight end float. :-))

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:56:03 pm »

You will need support for the prop shafts in the hull as well as on the outside, otherwise vibrations will cause a lot of noise in the glass hull and it will sound like a can of nails,I usually make tapered strips of ply and glass them in to support long shafts which cuts out vibrations and noise,I would also fit lubrication points on the shafts as this save the time of taking the shafts apart to oil,Ray.     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Floater

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:03:23 pm »

Thanks a lot lads, I can see the need for support both on the outside and inside which I will see to. But the lub holes? Is this just a matter of boring holes in a couple of places down the shaft? How do you then apply the grease?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »

On here - http://www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com/fittings.html - lower left, is a shaft oiler.  Nice bit if kit.  Real craftsmen drill the oil hole and solder  or braze a length of tube over the hole to give a path in, but this does a nice job.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:49:38 am »

Hi Floater
Motor connection
You require a separate ESC for each motor and a Turnigy v tail mixer to link the two ESC to one channel for your radio(no servo required).
Motor connection to ESC.
Centre wire to centre wire and cross over the other two, this will spin the props in the right direction and set it up the right way on the transmitter.
Check you motors for ESC requires and go the next size up for safety.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.