Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple question!  (Read 3001 times)

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
Simple question!
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »

as I'm just doing wiring I have a simple question: what is the best way to avoid a mess of wires? would this be the best option for power distribution?
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p92-power-distribution-board.html
And http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p91-hi-load-twin-switcher.html

In the installation is:
540 mfa (30a ESC)
Micro bow thruster (10a ESC)
12x'grain of wheat' bulbs
Possibly a pump for fire monitors

3 cell 4000mha lipo

Is there a Cheaper option?

Pete

Now where did I put that?

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Simple question!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:37:33 pm »

Hi Pete, have you visited the Action wiring diagram web site, it has diagrams for quite
A few tugboats which will include ones with bow thrusters and water/monitor pumps.

John

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:33:04 pm »

I wouldnīt use one of these PCB.
Why donīt you wire it by yourself.

I always put the wires in something like this, to avoid the mess in the hull (sorry the links are german, but you should find this in the UK as well)
http://www.reichelt.de/SPIRAL-100-10/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=50458&artnr=SPIRAL+100-10&SEARCH=spiral
Those here are also very usefull
http://www.reichelt.de/Kabeldriller-Kabelbuendler/KAB-DRILLER-SK1/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=2&ARTICLE=144002&GROUPID=5712&artnr=KAB-DRILLER+SK1

Just a few thoughts about wiring:
- all power cables (especially battery to ESC to motor) as short as possible to reduce spike voltages
- I separate power cables (to motors/ESC) from signal cables (servo wires) to reduce inteference
- put all Ground together in 1 point
- avoid those screw driver connectors, try to solder everything you donīt need to separate. Everything that needs to get disconnected from time to time gets "gold connectors" (I solder the motor to the ESC and just give the battery a gold connector).
regards

Tobias

inertia

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:17:52 pm »

Tobias
Chalk and cheese. You have shown links to cable tidies rather than distribution boards, although there's no reason why they shouldn't be used together.

Pete
The cheaper option is obviously not to use a distribution board, but then you'll have to find other ways of connecting the battery pack to all of the different functions which you want to use and fit suitable fuses. The P91 is ideal where you have a fairly high current load which needs a non-latching switch, like a pump, and a low-current load like lights which need a latching switch. Remember - no purchase is compulsory.
Here's a couple of links to the wiring diagrams that John44 mentioned http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php  and  http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/ms.php
Dave M

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

Dave and John: the wiring diagrams are great. :-))  It shows that what I'm thinking is right! However I'm still not sure weather the p92 will work with lipos at 11.1v rather than nicads at 12v. The details in the PDFs don't suggest either way!  {:-{  I don't really want to spend Ģ60 to find that they don't play at 11.1v!

Pete

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 06:27:29 pm »

Hi Pete - I've recently been through all of the same questions and issues regarding the wiring of our boats.  I opted for ACTion products and have found them to be really good and definitely make the wiring easier.  As for batteries I opted for the 12v sealed gel type (sorry I don't know the correct name for them) and I did this for a few reasons

1. The boat has plenty of room and space is not really an issue
2. The boat is going to need a lot of ballast and the batteries will do quite a lot of this as they are heavy
3. I'm fitting twin batteries for a nice long running time

Just my two pence worth  :-))   BTW your build is looking great!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:53:57 pm »

Dave and John: the wiring diagrams are great. :-))  It shows that what I'm thinking is right! However I'm still not sure weather the p92 will work with lipos at 11.1v rather than nicads at 12v. The details in the PDFs don't suggest either way!  {:-{  I don't really want to spend Ģ60 to find that they don't play at 11.1v!

Pete
Volts are volts and amps are amps.  As long as your intended battery does not excessively exceed the boards capabilities, and your current draw is within the boards limits, it doesn't give a #######(*) what kind of battery is supplying the power.
I do believe that they have been used with some success on 6, 7.2, 8.4 volts, and diverse battery technologies such as SLA, NiCad, NiMH and probably dry cells.
(*  expression of choice).
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »

Thanks mark and Malcolm both! I'm using lipos because of space and Malcolm thats great news! P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.