Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lights in Series?  (Read 1970 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Lights in Series?
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »

I'm still going through what seems to be an epic amount of wiring/loom building on my Fairmount but its going ok  :-)   I have been so absorbed that I think I may have failed to look forward far enough in my planning.

I have now wired my lighting switching and it supplies 12v to the lights that I intend to fit. Now here's my issue - most of the lights I want to fit seem to be 6v  {:-{   I don't want to install any kind of dropper so I thought about wiring two of them together in series?  So my question is can anyone think of any issues with doing this?  The only thing that I can think of is if one bulb blows the other will simply go out.

I've probably answered my own question but I thought that I would put it to the experience of the forum

Thanks Mark  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Lights in Series?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:25:53 pm »

Spot on Mark.
Two 6v in series ok
If one blows both are out.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:42:07 pm »

Check out three in series.  It will probably look more realistic, and the bulbs should be everlasting.
Bulbs that need the same current and the same voltage can be wired in series - they all get the same current and, hopefully, is the arithmetic holds up, about the right voltage each.  Just as with olde style Christmas tree lights, its a case of one out, all out.

Note - Some of the later types were designed to short themselves out when they failed, so the rest remained lit, a bit more brightly, until either someone did something about it, or the fused one gave up or the house burned down.  Whichever came first.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »

If you really want to use classic light bulbs instead of LED, put 3 in series. This will make them last longer and prevent them from burning too fast.
regards

Tobias

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:35 pm »

Ned / Malcolm / Time Bandit thanks for the replies.  I thought that it would be ok but its nice to have someone confirm it  :-))   I like the idea of having more lights than needed to dim them down a bit and also get longevity.  When I get to that part of the build I'll do some experimenting  :-)   Cheers Lads!

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »

If you want to experiment use LED  {-)

To be honest I really hated to fix 1-2 light bulbs every season and it was always that one bulb that forced me to some major disassembling just to fix the light.
Since I use LED lighting (with correct series resistors) I never even one had to fix one of them.
regards

Tobias
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.