Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 1537 times)

Friar Tuck

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Howdy
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:52:07 pm »

Hello All,

I'm new here although I've been looking through some topics over the last week. I've just read the full build of a Fairey Huntsman, magnificent build and finish.

I live in Nottingham and I've been modelling railways for 38 years since I were a lad. From a young age I've had a deep interest in boats, even bought one 7 years ago and it's moored on the Norfolk Broads. I've now got an urge which needs satisfying by building a model boat, as my one of my favourite places is the broads I'm looking at a cabin cruiser type and have been looking at the Wavemaster 25, the only thing with this is, I think the hull would look good as an aft cockpit so I'm looking at different designs, a Broom Robb would suit but would be off scale as its 24' 4". I'm not sure whether the model will be r/c or a static model.

I spent 25 years in Highway Engineering until being made redundant 4 years ago. Since then I've been in and out of work, currently out since last Nov so the project is a long term thing but being at home gives me time to sort out the design. Would I be better building it as it is designed as a first build instead of changing the design?

I still have a lot to learn, I've seen sanding sealer mentioned a few times but don't know what this is, what paint to use - enamel, acrylic or cellulose, dope has been mentioned too which I'm sure is not the street drug, Dominic glass fibre the hull, plank it or just paint it, how do I go about planking both the deck and hull, etc.; I'll be making use of the search facility on here and also the Internet and YouTube.

Regards

Andy

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:00:14 am »

I'm fairly new here, too, so i can't offer much in the way of help.
But, you certainly have come to the right place! Welcome to THE MAYHEM! %%   -  Tom

Friar Tuck

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:39:40 am »

Hi Tom, thank you for the welcome, I've certainly learnt a fair bit while I've been lurking in the background and hoping to learn much more. Not sure my modelling skills will wow judging by those I've seen so far

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:55:10 am »

A big welcome to Mayhem Andy.  Being retired myself I appreciate the time / cost factors. I know you are going to enjoy your build, but understand that is may be longer term project.  I suggest you at least plan for radio control, and fit prop shafts plus rudder.  The RC and electronics go in last, so find a hull and make a start.  Planning and researching are all part of fun process. 

Good luck  :-))

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Friar Tuck

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:07:05 am »

Hi Bob, thank you for the welcome, I enjoy the research, planning and design; I've already spent a lot of time looking at boat plans, model kits, reading build threads etc.. It will definitely be a longer term project as I have the model railway to build, I have a big interest in photography which can get expensive so any money has to be allocated, this will not deter me thou.  I have my eye on the boat show at Coalville in early April which I'm hoping to get to to get more info and see boats in the flesh. Meantime, m off to read some more topics

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.