Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aterproof stabaliser tubes  (Read 1987 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
aterproof stabaliser tubes
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:21:13 pm »

Just looking for a feeling on this.  my Tiger has computer controlled stabilisers, which work a treat but have taken up more room with linkages than I would have wished, partly because I tried to keep the tubes above water line, although they will probably end up just under.
looking at it I have found a better way of running them BUT it means cutting the tubes very short, they will go through a block on the inside to give support and the inner edge of the tube will retain its flare to accept an "O" ring (they were commercial rudders in a previous life.

So does the team think that providing all is a tight fit, tubes are greased and "O" ring is in place will they let water in or not.
I will finish this model

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: aterproof stabaliser tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:34:49 pm »

Have you considered fitting a cut down prop shaft with water sealed bearings in the inner end.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:44:37 am »

Why not build a free-flooding compartment and mount the servo way above the waterline? - no need to seal anything.  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waterproof stabaliser tubes
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:36:34 am »

Rob......without viewing a hull location end elevation view with the waterline I would suggest there are 50 ways to complete this task :o...if after seeing the same plans.......we could probably suggest 10 ways to complete the task :-)) .....& maintain the water tight integrity & functionality .......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 04:10:33 pm »

Derek
point taken, not in location to take images at moment so can only describe, each side has three stabs, these are modified rudders, inside the hull, by each location is a small block of wood to give some support and thickness, I originally left the rudder tube full length to help maintain water tightness, but now find it is to restrictive on space.  Free flood is not an option as that still will take space. so my plan is to retain the blocks of wood, cut rudder tubes so they are flush with the wood and hope that the o ring and grease will prevent ingress of water.  Once home I will take shots and post, I think I am going this was though.

Bob
I will finish this model

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:14:51 pm »

How about a short, leaky tube with a servo arm on the end. Add some neodymium magnets. Build a plasticard box around this, ensuring the magnets are close to a box side. Rotate at your leisure from the dry side with a servo.

Andy, who'd like to thank the design bureau for advanced pen and scanner work.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.