Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping track on helpful members  (Read 13348 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: keeping track 0n helpful members
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:35 pm »

Hi Guys

but I'd offer a Blue Mayhem Badge ... Few of us will get a Blue Peter one. Regards Dave

I don't wanna brag but??.................

nah can't really take the credit for these two.........belong to my kids I just nicked them as I lost mine years ago..........but it does get harder every year to convince people I'm still under 16 so I can use them to get in places free {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:52 am »

Well....I don't know  >>:-(

DM is suggesting badges are only for jumpers?
Sir Neil may loose his Knighthood ..vis by courtesty being a Knight of The Order of Australia if he keeps telling the world that he nicked=pinched his kids BLUE badges
[In ye olde days, persons were sent for penal servitude for a far lesser crime ...& many are my forebears  :-))]
Norseman appears to be concerned that some may get a little flummoxed
....and ;)  Martin is suggesting the tone of this thread is becoming pejorative

So during my sojourn to the Oxford Concise ......I attempted to find reference to soredust ....you know the stuff that covered the butchers floor years ago......

Certainly is a changing world.....as the Oxford has no mention of soredust, the butcher's shop has closed down...& the isles @ Woolies & Coles have highly polished white floor tiles with no evidence that any dust has ever fallen........but at least all of the staff have name badges so we know who we are talking to.....Derek :o
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:58 am »

Do thow meenest sawdust, liveth next door to a butcher when youthful
Gunna build those other boats one day.

inertia

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 10:01:07 am »

We always used to call soredust 'talcum powder'.  ;D
I gave my Blue Peter badge away because my jumper was already full with Boy Scout badges.  :P
The problem with being badged "helpful" is that it green-lights certain individuals who'd rather pester you than Ask Jeeves or Google.
DM

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:21 am »

Some other forums have a Thanks button allowing members to say thanks for a particular post if it has been helpful. The names of those giving thanks are added to the bottom of the post allowing the original poster to know who is thanking them. The info about the poster on the left has the number of thanks given and received for that member.
This option is a mod which can be added by the forum owner.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 12:29:58 pm »

ok2...personally I have never heard of soredust  ...I just made it up for a "laught"   :kiss:.......

But I do remember the butchers floor covered in sawn tree dust....& the chopping block was a sawn off tree stump cemented into the floor  O0

Not 'shore' how the H&S would cope with this today.......BTW....they made good microphones.....them sure people could certainly keep track of good members  :}

1. My vote is that name tags should be compulsory ok2 .........

2. What say you Sir Neil?............................

3. ....& who is Jeeves?..........

4. Sorry Jim.....Monte Carlo was a biscuit ....we don't need red & green lights like poker machines attached to our names......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 01:07:55 pm »

Derek
'Ask Jeeves' is an Internet search engine, presumably named after the character created by P G Wodehouse.
Another search engine is (or was?) called 'Dog Pile'.
Name tags are compulsory in the UK only at infants' schools, although I understand that policemen are numbered in case they get lost.
What ARE you drinking, and is it available in the UK?  8)
DM

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 02:14:57 pm »

My kids have my blue peter badge....dont even know where it is now!
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 02:17:23 pm »

Well I appeared on Blue Peter does that COUNT

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »

Derek's bin at the Red Ned agin  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 02:55:18 pm »

Well I appeared on Blue Peter does that COUNT
 Dave
It's an absolute, Dave. You either have one, or you once had one, or you never had one. Appearing on the program has no bearing on the matter unless they gave you a badge as well. You mean to say you didn't get one? Life can be unbearably cruel at that age, can't it?
BTW Why are you now typing some words in capital letters? It looks most ODD.
DM 

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 03:28:26 pm »

Just a mute point as my carpentry instructor always said to the peasants(they were not fast learners he called them block heads)IT IS NOT SAWDUST, it is WOOD dust. Like everything  else it is only a matter of keeping your ears clean & listening. There my friends I feel my posts on here should end. I am sure in time you will have more fun with some other peoples well intended postings, after all it is always easy to keep the peasants happy. Mick Burke. Canada.
Mick B.

Stavros

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:15 pm »

Dave I do hope you are not taking the micky out of my postings as I dont take the preverbial out of yours

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 05:09:36 pm »

Mick, I and I'm sure most other people on here have no doubt whatsoever about your good intentions, it was a nice thought and everyone appreciates it when they are given help, either on building boats or indeed on any of the variety of other matters that are discussed on Mayhem.

The problem comes with the practical implementation. In a company you can have a salesman of the month because all you need to do is to compare the respective volumes of sales between the sales people (assuming that they all do the same job) but on here, help comes in all shapes and sizes and it all comes down to a matter of opinion as to who is the most helpful and that is where relative unfairness can creep in as some members will feel that a certain person has either received too much or, more likely, too little recognition compared with someone else and that can give rise to embarrassment if it is voiced. A lot of help is also given off forum and the members don't see that.

Also, as Dave M points out, being awarded an accolade like this does make you a bit of a target  for people looking for help by PM and not by posts on the Forum. Both Martin on this Forum and I in respect of the Model Boats Forum regularly field private queries from individuals simply due to our positions. That's OK because it goes with the job but perhaps not so fair on someone who never asked for the recognition.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 05:25:22 pm »

Dave I do hope you are not taking the micky out of my postings as I dont take the preverbial out of yours   
Dave

Not at all, m'duck - I was just a bit puzzled by the capitals. As for the rest, you've always been game for a gentle leg-pull.  Sorry if I got it wrong.
DM

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 09:11:04 pm »

Mick B......you were the only one to get the riddle...soredust?  :o......there is no such thing  %%.....[I said I made it up... also spoke of sawn tree dust]

All the rest 'were block heads .....it is not SAW dust, it is WOOD dust' ...even John Lennon asked "how to make a tenon joint" .....obviously he was considering enrolling in a wood work class  <*< ....so there  is hope for us all yet....with our name tags on....

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 10:39:16 am »

The Concise Oxford Dictionary on page 1007 sayeth,

"Sawdust, tiny wood fragments produced in sawing................".et all  %) %) %) %) {-) {-) {-)

Bulldust also comes to mind  O0 O0 O0

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:12 am »

Sorry  RAAArtyGunner  :embarrassed: ...my version of the Oxford Dictionary ...Second Edition 1992...of the First Australian Edition 1987, on page 1021 clearly states "sawdust n powdery particles of wood produced when sawing"

You are 100% correct that this is bulldust...or the Author [in 1987] must have been smoking what John Lennon was thinking about when he asked about making that "dovetail joint"........  :-X
As Mick says ....blockheads the lot of them...........Derek  {-)
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:46 pm »

If you want to call sawdust wood-dust, then you are also going to have to call house dust something closer to what it's made of.

inertia

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 01:41:17 pm »

Sawdust is just an example of a word being used incorrectly but so often and for so long that it has become accepted as correct. Other examples are "nucular" (nuclear), "of" ("have") and "reality" ("brainless").
House dust is mainly dead skin, isn't it?  :o

Just trying to be helpful.  8)
DM

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »

Right again as usual Dave, Thanks Derek I would have a dictionary too but then I would have to learn read first. It reminds me of a little story, When the graduating class were rapping up they picked two people, first the one  most likely to succeed, & also the one least likely. Ten years later the guy they picked as most likely came to the class reunion with a wife & two kids in a well used car.  The guy least likely turned up in a Rolls Royce & a blond in the passenger seat. When asked how he had become so rich his answer was short "I found something every woman needed, I made them for a dollar & sold them for three dollars & I was happy making my 3% " The moral of the story is sometimes it is not a good thing being too clever, Mick B.
Mick B.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 10:58:47 am »

Mick,
The clincher was the 3%, namely he wasn't greedy, whereas these days everyone wants to get rich quick rather than work at it over time.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 11:10:57 am »

Guys....maybe we should just think & go back to wood dust.....

How many remember walking into a wood joinery shop all those years ago and smelt the freshly sawn timber?

If we all had name tags O0....... we could nominate which member had the turn to turn the animal glue pot on {-)........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »

I made them for a dollar & sold them for three dollars & I was happy making my 3%

Hang on a minute there, m'ducks. That's a mark-up of 200% on cost and a return on sales of 66.6%. If that's not getting rich quick then what is? And where did the 3% come from?
DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 01:15:26 pm »

Think he had dodgy maths
He thought make for one sell for three gave him 3%
Moral being he wasn't clever at maths but ok at making money

I Think  O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.