Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paint woes  (Read 5728 times)

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
paint woes
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:26:28 pm »

I am just starting to restore a model slipway kelly & bonny, this is my first build and up to now everything is sort of going ok, everything is stripped down, superstructure is been rebuilt.
I have started to think about repainting the hull and this is where I have encountered a problem, after wet and drying it I started to prime it , not sure what the top coat is but the primer I am using is reacting with it and causing crazing, what is the best paint to use and can I use a paint stipper like nitromorse ( think thats how its spelt) to strip the hull back,  I am using grey primer car body paint spray which states that it's suitable for use with acrylic or cellulose. <:( 

Help

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: paint woes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »

Hi timbo
If you do a search in painting tips and hints all will become apparent. Stavros  has a very comprehensive article here on painting .
One of his tips is sand dry and primer is not waterproof
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:30:27 pm »

You are spraying car paint (either cellulose or acrylic) over enamel. Chances are it was originally finished with Humbrol model enamels.

You have to strip off all the old paint along with what you have just applied and start from scratch. You don't say what the hull is made from, using Nitromors on grp ( fibreglass) or a plastic hull will result in the hull melting.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:58:53 pm »

Another TOP TIP comming up

Go out and buy yourslef some FAIRY POWER spray....spray it on and use some scrubbing pads to get the paint off....this should strip it all off for you....labourious I know but DO NOT USE nitromours on a plastic or GRP hull........If it is a GRP hull then there is light at the end of the tunnel ......a special paint stripper is available specifically for grp

Then when stripped ......well it's all there in my guide to painting in the painting section

Dave

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:41:31 am »

I think the Stripper Dave is talking about is water based and used on full size GRP hulls. It is not cheap, around £40.00 (8 years ago) for a gallon the last time I used it and that was on a 1/12 Severn hull.

Literally slap it on nice and thick, wrap up in polythene sheet and leave for a couple of days. in my case it needed a second application.

After that just washed down well under running water and repainted. No scrubbing, scraping of sore fingers from sanding really easy and stress free!!

Try the link below.

[size=78%]http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-strip/[/size]

Paul.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:45:06 am »

Thanks everybody for the tips, it seem like it could have been painted with humbrol due to the age of the model, I have just seen a video on YouTube about using fairy spray   :-))  :-)) lokks like am gona be a bit busy this week end, I will try and postvsome pics.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:51 am »

Thanks Paul

Just had a look at that stuff from the link, might be an idea 💡 to get some, £15 seems a fair price the boat is not that big so one should do it

Tim

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:52:04 am »

The bottom line Tim is no hassle, you can leave it to get into all the knooks and crannies and get on with more enjoyable work.

Paul.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 07:51:57 am »

I think the Stripper Dave is talking about is water based and used on full size GRP hulls. It is not cheap, around £40.00 (8 years ago) for a gallon the last time I used it and that was on a 1/12 Severn hull.

Literally slap it on nice and thick, wrap up in polythene sheet and leave for a couple of days. in my case it needed a second application.

After that just washed down well under running water and repainted. No scrubbing, scraping of sore fingers from sanding really easy and stress free!!

Try the link below.

[size=78%]http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-strip/[/size]

Paul.

Found some!  Ebay £17 for a ltr
Have ordered it. :-))

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:20 am »

Well so far so good it seems to be working will bash on with it again today  :-))

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »

This stuff worked a treat, it took a week of patience and scrubbing but in the end it stripped everything off including humbrol enamel green.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

Ops wrong way up :embarrassed:

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:33:39 pm »

Tim, glad to see it worked after a fashion but did you plonk it on and just wrap in cling film or like and leave it to percolate as you shouldn't really need to scrub it off, or it may have needed a second application of the process or more if the paint was the thickness that most modellers in days gone by seem to slap it on.

What ever the process you can be confident that the gell coat will be intact and unaffected, the objects of the exercise.

Paul

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 09:48:44 pm »

I slapt it on and the first go took all the red below the water line of, after that it was rapped in plastic and left for a couple of days, cleaned of then replied and reraped. Still have half a ltr left.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.