Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wooden Masts  (Read 1567 times)

readyayeready

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Wooden Masts
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:22:32 am »

Good Evening All,

Thank you for accepting me to the forum.  I'm afraid that I'm not much of a models guy, but I am looking for something that I have so far been unsuccessful in finding after about three hours of Google searching.  I'm hoping that the community here may be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a departure gift for a naval coworker.  As he's moving from a ship to a desk job, we'd like to get him a desk pen holder which features a mast as its main point.  Something simple, as close as possible to the mast seen here (apologies for the low resolution picture):

http://www.hmcsventure.com/VentureMast.htm

As it's looking less and less likely that such a thing exists on its own, I'm probably going to end up adding a model mast to a pre-made pen holder.  However, I still haven't found a mast on its own that would be suitable for such a purpose.  I'm probably looking in the 30cm tall range, preferably made of wood or metal.  Does anyone know where I could find such a thing for sale?  I don't have access to a whole lot of tools aside from a drill to mount it to the base, but I'm amenable to gluing and staining if that's required.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Wooden Masts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:50 am »

My thoughts.
As you wish to stick to something specific, you might be better off getting it made.
It also occurred to me that a string and wood mast may not be up to the task of sitting on a desk year in and year out, without excessive wear and tear. I agree with your thoughts about using metal, it might be better to do it all in brass. It could then be painted, or not.

See if one of the guys in the Naval Workshop can knock one out in exchange for beer tokens. The guys in our workshop always had little jobs on the side.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Wooden Masts
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 05:41:35 am »

ok2

It is necessary to build light

Use a piece of fishing rod carbonne

Recover with wooden small strips
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.