Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Follow me..  (Read 21898 times)

hama

Re: Follow me..
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 08:12:15 pm »

Hello Martin!

1. Most of the docks we just stop to let passengers or cargo on/off. We put the "nose" to the dock and then go "slow ahead" to stay put, then it's off to the next stop. Only takes seconds if it's a few passengers and of course many minutes if you have to discharge cargo by crane.The older boats and the steamers go in on a springline, a crewmember stand at the bow and throw the line on to the bollard. They are really good at it. At the end destination you tie up for break or for the night, those docks needs to have bollards at some distance apart so we can get a good bearing on our lines.
2. Skärgården is a little older so she has the steering hydraulics all the way up in the wheelhouse whereas newer vessels have electric wires from the wheelhouse down to the steering room. The wooden wheal is the backup steering if the electrics should fail, newer vessels have duplicated electrics instead.

Hope this answers your questions!
And thanks for this great site!!   :-))

All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 10:15:23 pm »

Hello!
Winters here again, in fact it's been here for about a month already. Some pictures from work. The two pictures of my boat where taken from another company boat when we met and I gave him way in the broken ice. He was inwardbound and in a hurry, I was outward bound. Also a picture of two LEGO boats I designed on the "Design by me" site, very funny and not too expensive. My two girls got them as a gift when my family came to celebrate newyears eve on board.
All the best!

Hama.

hama

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 09:30:17 pm »

Hello again!
Winter turns the archipelago into a totally different world with new possibility's. The ice makes life much easier for the islanders, they can travel fast between the islands and to the mainland on snowmobiles or ATVs. How the channel through the ice runs is strictly regulated in coordination with the locals on the islands. At some places they have to pass the broken ice, one way of doing so is to use a small boat and push and pull yourself over. At these crossings we have to pass at very low speed to keep a narrow channel for them to pass. When you meet another boat, your big brother on a smaller sister for instance, one of you has to make way for the other. The channel through the ice is clearly visible on the radarscreen. If you get a short break you can always run your RC-cars on the ice! There was a snowstorm the other day, good thing is that you don't have to worry about the mooring for the night as your in the ice. Bad thing is that several dm of snow on the ice makes it very sticky to pass through. After the low pressure had passed, it was a beautiful day to say the least.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »

Great shots Hama, thanks for showing  them. :-))
..well can you land on this?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2011, 10:53:27 pm »

Hi Hama
love the shots. We hit bad ice in bound to Stockholm on Thursday this week.  On Princes Maria we got stuck 4 times in the Eastern Baltic. It is a realy nice part of the world you live and work in

John

hama

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »

Nice to hear you enjoyed them!
Hama.

livesteam

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »

Hej!
Thanks a lot for letting us part on your job of one's dream! I'm jalous... Due to job and family reasons I will not be able to visit Stockholm this year, but I hope that we will manage next year. Or maybe in winter... must be beutiful as well. Your pics prove ist.
All the best,
LiveSteam

hama

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2011, 06:56:38 pm »

Thank you!
Well, I'm still waiting to see the first passenger wearing a "Mayhem badge" passing over the gangway! When it happens, I'll make it a free ride and a cup of coffee on the bridge!
Have a nice weekend!
Hama

hama

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:10 pm »

It's been 1,5 years since last drydocking and two long winters have passed. There is a big need for some maintenance to hull, propeller arrangement and engines. Here we are at the shipyard together with sister"Sandhamn". I like the "driver" of the slipway, at least he got a chair! On one of the picture is a tugboat with red hull. She is the former "Riverman" of Hull, built in Norway. As it was a friend of mine who bought it some years ago I helped him bring her home. Took us a week via Kiel canal. Remember when we stood at the quayside in Hull and saw her for the first time in real life, thinking she was a bit small to cross the North Sea in march! But thats another story.
All the best!
Hama.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »

Great shots, now we know how you can go through the ice in winter... an ice breaker hull !  Now do you get some time off before the summer rush ? 

hama

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2011, 10:19:57 pm »

Hello Duncan!
Yes, she is a good icebreaker. At the end of the winter we measured the thickness of the ice to at least 50cm, but then the equipment take a beating. Just about everything shakes and shivers all day long. In fact one of the jobs carried out at the shipyard now is to go through all electric connections in the switchboards to tighten loose screws.
Thanks for your concern, but I get my days off. In fact I'll have a three week vacation during the summer. :-))
All the best!
Hama

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »

Holidays in summer , good.  :-))   We can also see the hole in the bow where Red Oktober managed to intrude .

hama

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2011, 11:29:27 pm »

Hello!
I told you earlier about the LEGO-boats i designed for my girls, they got them as a gift when celebrating newyears eve on board. Well, during this evening me and my crew found it to be a good idea to make a bigger boat as a gift for a former captain of m/s Dalarö who was turning sixty in April. In fact, we found it to be a good idea the day after as well. This very nice man was supervising the build of these three sisters in Norway, so he should be capable of building a LEGO version too. So, after several attempts on the computer I was satisfied with how it looked and ordered it. As I worked during his birthday I never got to see his reaction but I was told that it was a total success! This week he was kind enough to let us borrow his boat so that everybody who gave it to him can get a chance to see the end result. I really recommend a visit to the LEGO site "Design by me" where you can build anything you want and get your own LEGO-kit.
All the best!
Hama

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:53 pm »

Had to clear some space on my phone, so uploaded two test videos I had there. One test of the IMovie stop motion app and the other one with the slopro slow motion app. Both are from work so I put them here.
All the best!
Hama
http://youtu.be/vHF21Ozbrd8
http://youtu.be/rI-9f13Hhns

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 10:34:57 pm »

Excellent footage Hama!!!! :-)) :-))

I do love that first one - a 'quick' tour around the archipelago!!!!

Really looking forward to our visit soon  :-))  - just sorting out the dates etc. of when we should arrive in Vaxholm. Will be in touch very soon by email  :-))   :-))   :-)) .

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:48 am »

Thanks Carl! Let's stay in touch.
Hama
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.