Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180  (Read 53633 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »

Mizzen fitting, when the kit is built as per the instructions there is an error in the mizzen deck or in the cheeks that attach to the sides of the hull.

First the deck fitted, the officer is looking over the buckets to see where the main deck is.

The fit means that the mizzen deck does not get to the sides, if the cheeks are fitted correctly that is.

So first off, the two supports need to be fitted.

Then the fit shows the supports under the deck, there is a lip on the back but its not really that big, a strip will be added later, the gap will be covered with a couple of strips of styrene, all will be revealed.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Royal Sovereign
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, HMS Victory, tug, cardboard castle class convert, got the new job, looking again though

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »

So the main deck guns,

The Cannon.
The underside of the cannon with a hole drilled.
The pin in the hole in the underside of the cannon, this secures the cannon to the deck.

The wheel and binnacle.

The first two guns fitted, none are run out, so they do take a lot of space up here.

All 6 in position, as you can see they are quite big for the area.

The rope lines will be sorted later, no gun crew are planned for here, as yet.
incomplete, HMS Victory, tug, cardboard castle class convert, got the new job, looking again though

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »

Well after the mizzen deck was fitted the cleaners asked for a hand, I get the feeling he looks sea sick.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »

Finally in this series,

A sail cloth roll or a sail rolled up, your choice.

Placed on the deck for 'Donald'.

Donald on his stool with a sail over his lap.

Donald has his arms fitted.

Views of Donald at work, he likes a bargain which is why hes into sails. %) ;D [size=78%] [/size]

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2020, 05:28:57 PM »

Todays bits,

The guns do line up with the ports.

The Helmsmen in position, though when the mizzen is on they really cannot be seen that well.

A poor shot of the ropes being attached to the wall, still need a lot of work on this bit.

A box for Donald and some rods, the items hide the epoxy over spill.

And the last two are the next projects, once the cannon ropes have been secured etc., the brass bits are the Davits in the hull, due to them hanging over the side they would be knocked off quite easily, so in brass they protect the hull and guard against falling off, same goes for another part of the build, still have to cut the hollow box section for that and the rod.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »

Well didn't do much today as time taken up with my eldest's dentist appointment - 4 hours I won't get back.  >>:-(

Did some sketches for the standing rigging and moving rigging, also how the yards are to be linked together, the issue now as has always been the sail winch travel and its effect on the sails movement.

When you lay one sketch on the other it shows the disparity in the yards heights, as long as the connecting lines between the top yards and lower yards are the same distance from the pivot point then as one moves so should the other 3, i.e. foremast lower yard connected to main mast lower yard, similarly the top yards, if the lines that are connecting the top yard to the lower yard are good enough then they could in theory rotate each other, but that wont happen, so i will have to split the sail winch line between the top and lower yards on each side.

The pictures are:-
1.  The foremast standing rigging, L is the expected linking point between fore and main masts.
2.  The main mast standing rigging, again L is the expected linkage.
3.  The mizzen mast standing rigging, surprisingly there is no connecting lines to the channel running alongside the mizzen deck area, though to gain access to the battery and receiver the mizzen deck is removable and on Sovereign I used a hook for connecting the ratlines to the yard on the mizzen mast for each side, that has yet to be built in.
4.  The standing rigging between the fore and main mast, with the linkage lines initially shown as dotted, also the connections to the bowsprite.
5.  The sail winch connection to the foremast, as the lines run up the main mast to the underside of the platform and then go forward of this to the foremast.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2020, 05:53:05 PM »

Today's update (and yesterday's as well).

To fix the mizzen decks lack of width, fitted cheeks to the deck, after shortening the back of the deck where the knee's are.

Then created the two Boomkin's, the first pic is of one of them and the second pic is the tiny hole I have to drill in the ends, it's all painted black at the end.

The next set of pic's is the tiny holes for the standing rigging on the bowsprite.

Then the holes through the hull at the beakhead. Yes there is a hole through the scroll area, again for ropes to the Boomkin, the double hole next to the scroll is for the ropes to the bowsprite and act like gammon's I believe, though the book and the sketches on the internet show only two, the ship currently has had an extra one added since the 1960's, all current photo's show this extra rope to the bowsprite.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: February 28, 2020, 06:03:07 PM »

This is a setting out marking for the bits added to the sides of the ship, it will become apparent later on.

These holes are larger and are for the davits in the sides.

The stern davits are just shown in position.

The port and starboard stern davits, but fixed with epoxy, will need to clean some of the epoxy off later and to paint them, they are in brass to prevent them being knocked off and work very well on the other ship, the side davits are being fitted in stages as the epoxy has to cure, the same goes for the Boomkins, as these are susceptible to damage and the will have rope fitted as well (want to make this look half decent).

Unsure as to whether create the flags locker at the stern as well, will need to think about it.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: February 29, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »

Well todays update,

The right & left side davits, the thread is to stop them dropping down till the epoxy cures.

The carronades and them fitted.

The standing rigging on the Bowsprite, these will be painted Black, as the black thread I have is too thin, and then the brass bits will be painted again.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: March 14, 2020, 04:59:25 PM »

The latest update,

The standing rigging on the bowsprite is painted and three lines to just above the round houses added.

The davits are given their first coat of black paint.

The two ropes at the beak added, on Victory at the moment there is 3 but pictures in the book and from the 50's & 60's only show the 2.

The next 3 pictures are the boomkins, to be painted black and threaded, though the impression I get they are like davits, fixed at the base and they are lifted via lines from the foremast.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »

Well, the following 3 pictures are of the foremast,

Before I start the standing rigging.

The 4 black ropes are temporary, they are holding the spars level.

The rear shows the standing rigging, I have yet to interconnect the main and upper spars, of which I have to paint the tree before hand after fitting the upper mast, fitting the upmost spar is going to be a challenge as I have to tie it keep it from being broke off.

All very delicate work. {:-{

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »

Here is this mornings work, hopefully I am off on holiday from Wednesday and I can do the main mast.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up