Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180  (Read 105930 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2017, 09:51:18 pm »

That makes the rudder new position 100mm forward of the stern - on a 300mm long keel that's a third of the way, so will have to try and push it further back to about  50mm from the stern, as its under the keel it wont be seen easily.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »

Okay, todays offering,

These are the two boats supplied, I had previously painted the hulls and top frame and rudder - but not the oars, ran out of white enamel (well it had dried out completely in the tin) so had to use the offering from the helicoptors - those pesky little capped tubs with paint a brush and glue kits (which incidently is what this kit is), complete waste of time for the white, runny like milk, but it's got used, will need to buy a fresh tin later and go over the oars again.

Fitted the shrouds on the foremast, first the bottom ones, hopefully how I fitted these I can do to the main mast - the mizzen is a different story. fitted the next part of the foremast and the crows cradle and then fitted the upper shrouds, these shots show the shrouds with their tails threaded through the miniscule holes I had to drill, some breakouts but once the thread is glued in place and cut back it doesn't look to bad, and when painted - .

After painting the bits black (another tin of painted needed - doh), I fitted the yards, and the final photo is it placed on the warped main deck, when the main mast is done it will be supported on the main deck as well, with the relevant bits secured in their relevant areas, so when the test in water is conducted the boat will be weighted approximately so that when the brass front bit is on I will see what extra weight is needed to keep her upright.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »

Hopefully the shrouds won't get in the way of the yards rotating - too much, forgot to mention that the upper part of the mast and the upper yard are wrapped with the middle yard, if I had fitted it, it would be suceptable to damage.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2017, 07:38:42 pm »

Well that went well - NOT,  >>:-(

Several hours not for much, but......

The first picture is the boats with the painted oars, forgot to include this last time,

The next is the holes cut into the pulleys for the shrouds tails to be threaded through, sometimes a steady hand and no failing eyesight helps, so sometimes breakouts happen - this is the good one and has one of the heads completely removed , bah humbug  >>:-(

Threading the shroud through the slit didn't go according to plan, so now a major fixing exercise for the next couple of weeks, not just on this, wrapping the upper shroud round a multitool didn't help, that's got major surgery as well.

Then tried making a makeshift pipebender, that didn't go well either, so tried the manual method and they ain't that bad, just hope they are long enough for the job.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »

Now for a bit of gobbledygook  %),

Well this week offering didn't go as well as expected, tried to repair the damaged shrouds, the main mast bottom ones went reasonably ok, but the upper ones still have some work to be done,

so started some painting, well it didn't go to plan, trying to paint window frames at this scale is neigh impossible, sovereigns was a lot better, but that was a test and it didn't matter as much, but I want this to look good, so I may have to start all over again.

the skylight is in the same predicament, its difficult to paint the frames at this scale, I haven't painted the poop deck walls in the latest 'magnolia' colour, but a oak colour which I feel would have been more realistic, the upper mizzen mast spar is painted, but its sail is not yet attached, the forward detail where the heads are was a pain, again at this scale.

will have to invest in one of those A4 magnifiers to see if that helps, a x10 camera lens is not easy to use effectively.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2017, 10:13:07 pm »

Shrouds have put me off making sailing ships so I applaud your stoicisim.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2017, 08:03:20 pm »

Creating them is reasonably easy to do - if you sort of follow the instructions, having to use something to push the underside vertical strands up against the horizontal ratlines is the problem, why, well if you don't, the fixing agent wont stick them together, I thought to repair the upper shroud thinking it might be better in the long run, after seeing the repair I may have to remake them.

My next concern is the painting of the rear, how to paint it accurately is not working, so maybe I need to start from scratch. Also whilst studying photos, the top of the boats is the same ocre with a black line beneath, need to remedy this - Doh.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2017, 08:15:16 pm »

oo - forgot to mention, did a wet test - where I sat a Team Magic peak 1200 battery in at the stern, and floated it with the sail servo in situe, she would sit at the waterline most likely with all of the other bits added and weighted to level her off, but looking promising.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »

Well - this weeks work didn't go as well as planned either - not having a lot of luck lately  >:-o

Bought a helping hands magnifying set up and although it is helpful - its getting use to it, but however I tried to paint the stern it didn't go well so having to try another way. sorry no pictures.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2017, 09:17:08 pm »

There are times in a build when things don't quite work out as planned, or progress seems difficult.  I have learned that at times like this do not give up.  Maybe move onto something else for a while, but always come back to look at things from a new angle with a fresh eye.  Been there more than once, got the T shirts, but the satisfaction you will feel when you eventually crack the problems and get her sailing will be all the greater.

You certainly chose a tough challenge.  I for one would love to see photos of the maiden voyage  O0
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2017, 11:01:56 pm »

Soveriegns was a family affair with a reel of fishing wire tied to the bowsprite, and pushed out onto a local country park 'pool', there was no breeze so didn't go anywhere, it was just to see if she would stay afloat and to check the stability with a few deliberate pulls to the port or starboard on the masts.

My failing eyesight is starting to worry me, so I need to complete this reasonably quickly, so this week I am going to have to bite the bullet and push on with getting the painting done.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2017, 11:06:57 pm »

Here is a shot of her maiden voyage, the square below the hull is the initial counterweight, nearly 200mm (8") below the keel.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2017, 09:58:35 pm »

Remember image 0145, well here is the two latest versions the first from monday and the last from tonight, started the cheeks and the front trelless, the blue was a pain to paint.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2017, 10:01:17 pm »

Still have to complete the cheeks and the stern, the motif at the top has to be painted - deepjoy. its painstaking work with a toothpick sharpened to a needle point.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2017, 04:11:52 pm »

Well this weekends first offering  :D

Not as good as I want it to be - but its good enough at a distance.

also the cheeks have been done and are not so bad after a bit of extra work  %)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2017, 04:12:34 pm »

I going with the weathered look  %)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2017, 09:22:58 pm »

I agree that having a coupe of projects on the go is best as then you have sonmething you can do while the other one foxes you for a while.

I know it can be frustrating and tempting to throw it away, but then you have wasted all the time you spent on the project originally. (Naturally, if somethig went really really badly where it has been damaged then maybe a restart is wise, but usually it can be fixed.

Looking good so far though  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2017, 01:22:34 pm »

My problem is no time, leaving for work at 7 am and not getting back for after 6pm, then all the associated running around doing other things, then at weekend catching up on sleep, and then having a few hours to do something on this, its taking ages. but it will get finished.

The batteries are charged - I think, so now I have to dig out a receiver to try the servo out, also pick up the crest for the micro painting - oh and fit the repaired shroud.

I have a plan to make this look as a feature by attaching a pair of crew as if they are repairing it - now that's worth trying.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2017, 07:54:12 pm »

apart from eyes being a little strained, still have a couple of crew to build for in the main mast rigging but to name a couple.

here is what I have been doing this afternoon, the first is a little blurry, but the second is a little better and the boats.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2017, 07:55:13 pm »

oh what fun ---- not :}

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2017, 08:02:10 pm »

I also tried out the sail winch, 1 full rotation to the left and 1 to the right, travel to the end was slow and depending where the stick was put to it went quick for 75% of the time and slow for the remainder, so I now have to work out the pull - 25mm for the diameter x 3.142 = 78.55mm. hhhmm not bad, will have to work out what position on the yard it would be to give a full pull to the left or right.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »

You'll get there matey.

I like the crest  :-)) Give your eyes a rest.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2017, 09:24:27 pm »

Okay, the first picture is for the first of three repair crew, he will be trying to grab a vertical line, not painted here, the next is number two, he is shown here in raw form, unpainted here as well, the third picture is of crew man two and three, two is in the rigging as planned and painted, two is holding onto the rope that is being used to pull the shroud in, he doesn't have any arms yet and the rope is wrapped around his waist, he is also unpainted, since this photo, crewman one is fitted and is painted, when I paint number three I will post another picture.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2017, 09:58:39 pm »

Pull on the winch is more likely 83mm either direction, based on the drawing that I generated to assist in calculating various items, that means it will rotate the mast to 60° either side of centre.

Now the shrouds may have something in restricting this, so I may have to reduce this pull by securing one end to a fixed point and attaching a little white pulley to the end of the yard, so when it pulls 83mm it actually only moves the yard 41mm or thereabouts, so restricting the yards movement if the shrouds get in the way as they are not exactly flexible.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »

Ok, for today,

First various pictures of the repair crew  {-).
Then the main mast fitted to the deck and with its foremast.

for those old enough - buckaroo, all the bits put together in there approx. places except for the guns as the amount of additional plastic for the crew and gun ports is enough to cover that  O0

Then - wet test pictures,
The first is with the brass that will be in the water temporarily fitted, weight will be added as ballast later.
the next is with the sail winch and rudder servo, no real discerable difference.
then with the proposed battery and receiver - Woah - due to a little bit of miss-positioning of a feature water started to come in so whilst I wait for the glue to set.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.