Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180  (Read 105977 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2018, 12:10:12 pm »

Thanks, if I had splayed the end it may be difficult to retain the length of the short end of the tube, whereas the long end has to fit through the decks and it would be difficult to conceal it as say a barrel.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:23 pm »

And today I have completed the first fix of the tubes to the hull sides, second fix will be above the perceived main deck but below the top deck, some of the crew will be pushing the top deck up from a preliminary inspection -oh well.

I have used epoxy to stabilise it, but even that's gone off now, so before the next fix I will have to get some more.

I am also looking at changing the sailboard, so another test will be required, sealing the two halves together again and trying to replicate the conditions again, this time with the sailboard altered and weighted.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2018, 10:06:35 pm »

I can see how the system will work now. Quite clever  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2018, 09:24:14 am »

Once the sail winch is fitted and the deck about to go on (possibly screwed on for access - still have to figure that out yet), will have to feed the thread through these and leave the tails tied together under the hull until everything is fitted, once tested then do the remaining rigging.
 :embarrassed: :-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2018, 07:21:47 pm »

So, it's been a long time coming, an update.

The first picture is the modified sail board where a piece was soldered on to widen the board, was not happy with my efforts, so the next couple of photo's show today's update, first mark out some brass, next mark the holes, then drill the holes, cut the slots for the tabs and fold them over, finally fit the new sailboard top to the right hand side of the hull.

On doing all this I noticed that the glue for the tubes for the rigging had gone yellow, so i will have to cover them with some fresh epoxy, stripped back the planned pieces of plastic card that were to hold up the deck, since after dry testing the gun deck, some of the crew were a little high, so will have to fit the deck lower, not a major problem, but i had to cut the slots for where the tubes pass through the deck, so that's why the test and subsequent alteration.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »

well the hull is together, just have to fill any holes in the keel and glue the bow together, final bit of epoxy filler then to be fitted at the bow. Once that is done fit a plastic card seal over the whole front end to tie it together, then to start fitting the sail winch.

Still have to finish the mizzen mast, so still loads to do, did remove the support for the gun deck as this will allow it to sit further down in the hull to account for the tall crew, have cut and painted a piece of plasticard to cover the lower hatches in the gun deck.

The Sovereign is in the background of the last photo.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:06 am »

Yesterday did a state of where I am at photo's, with the clips removed and a new bottle of plastic weld, I will need to sand back the white paint to fit the bottom thin plastic card keel cover, also will need to remove any paint over the rear transom area to allow it to be installed before the next water test. (Thats if I finish the levelling off of the washing machine, which is dancing under the new kitchen worktop, and fit the kick boards, oh hum)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2019, 06:24:26 pm »

Well as stated, got the washing machine flat - hopefully, might actual head the opposite direction now, the kick boards are on and started on the covering the joint at the keel, two reasons, its a seal and second it adds strength to the two parts being held together.

The rear part I have to decide whether to make it a two part joint i.e. step up in increments so that a battery can slide down to lower in the boat, the transom is on (fitted before adding the strip down the centre).

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2019, 10:13:15 am »

This is the sail winch and rudder

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2019, 08:06:45 pm »

Here is the sail winch and rudder servo fitted, the second picture shows stiffeners added at the hull. Moved the Soveriegn forward to compare where the painting needs to be removed for the other parts fitted to the outside, but I need to build and finish the mizzen first, this is so I can perform the balance in a test tank, i.e. with a full upright rigging.

I do hope in this one I can get less weight in the skeg so that she has a shallower draught weed catcher, also need to do a test run with the batteries, don't know how long the various old batteries I have will last from a supposedly full charge, any links to a relevant thread would be appreciated.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2019, 06:33:19 pm »

Here is question that some one might have the answer for, on her mizzen mast there is a gaff sail that has a beam that protrudes over the stern, sorry for not knowing what it's called, it appears to hang over quite a bit, and I was wondering how it is controlled and why it protrudes so much, I know that a 'stay' sail can be fitted between the main and mizzen that is similar to the gaff on the rear, not sure what effect it would have on a ship this size though.

On Sovereign I just made the boom rotate and the had a piece of cord limit how far it swung from left to right, actually on reflection, will need to do the same on this one.

Also noted how shiny the black is - so will have to tone it back.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2019, 05:42:57 pm »

Well finally started on the mizzen.

First cut two pieces of tube that closely fit over the new booms - the originals are two flimsy and are warped.
Then bent the tube to suit, with the pieces added.
mixed up some epoxy and attached the booms to the existing mizzen mast.
Finally, wrapped some cotton round it, though may remove this later.

Currently the piece doesn't move as freely as I wanted it to, may have some residue epoxy inside the pieces will free it up later as I progress.

The booms are slightly smaller than the originals and sovereigns as they appeared to be way too long.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:37 pm »

Well, went into the loft and did a bit on the mizzen mast.
1st up was fitting the bottom of the ratlines, found the smallest drill I had and drilled out the plastic ends, then laboriously fed each line into it's corresponding pulley, glued it initially, then tied it off, took quite a while for all 8 rat lines.

2nd, fitted the platform, then the rail at the rear.

3rd, did a dry run of fitting the upper mast, It did not fit, either the designer miss calculated the cut out on the upper mast or didn't allow for a cut out in the bottom mast, so had to create my own, it now fits.

Then I fitted the upper platform, all the masts are only finished to the upper platform last item will be to fit the upper masts, but being fragile I am leaving that for now.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:20 pm »

Next I thought about the gaff sail, when it will be fitted there is nothing to stop it riding up or down the booms so first of was to tie some cotton onto the ends of each boom end, then epoxy it, the corner ties will be on the outside of these so in theory stop it moving  along the boom, the ones near the mast will be tied both sides to prevent it going either way, I don't intend to epoxy the sail ties to the bom in case I want to replace them, the sail for this gaff (J on the plans) is currently being flattened and has been cut down significantly to fit.

An initial coat of paint has been applied, just some touch ups here and there, touched up the outside of the hull as well.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2019, 06:11:07 pm »

Well did a bit more painting over the mizzen although with the cold it doesn't appear to be drying, also the matt black is not matt, will have to look at that again.

Internally painted the first coat of white where the hull is original colour, so when a torch is shone in it will help see whats in there, a further coat will help.

So the pictures are of the bottom beam on the mizzen - now with its sail attached, apparently is was always carried furled up.
the next is of another sail, then up against the bowsprit, then it being furled, and finally attached.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2019, 05:39:29 pm »

And here is my comical offering for today,

I flattened off the black, though will need to tidy it up a bit,

Fitted the first of the ratline pulleys, then wrapped it and fitted the other, then painted it the matt black.

A closer but blurred view,

And finally the upper platform where it is wrapped around and this was also painted, the upper mast will be painted brown eventually.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2019, 12:57:27 pm »

Did the topsail and mid sail for the mizzen, had to wet them to get them flat, next would be to affix the gaff sail, then bunch it all up, still have to create the rudder, that will be next week.

Then set up for the ballasting test, first weight the boat dry without the servo's in, then fill the inside with water to the perceived waterline whilst it is the water - then weight it - subtract one from the other and see how much ballast needed, then I will need to find out how much and how deep I will need to make the skeg to give a decent balanced hull.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2019, 10:05:04 am »

Started to fit the gaff sail, initial connection, will be sewing it it the top and bottom, made a small rig to hold a wet wipe as a filter to an opening of this pc, so going to fit that later, then design the rigs for the other fans I have fitted, two in the side panel and another in the rear of the case, the wet wipe even when dry catches a lot of fluff so its worth doing. As the fans push air into the machine it prevents a mess inside the more air in the cooler it is and also the case is under positive pressure.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2019, 11:23:52 am »

Sewn to the booms.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2019, 05:48:02 pm »

Tried to think of a way to operate the rudder from the proposed location, so it would be better than the previous ship, and could not come up with anything better, so re-positioned it in front of the rudder position, as it is lower than the other it should allow the batteries to slide in better, need to build a tiller to match and be able to remove it when needed.

Provisionally I am looking to increase the rudder size under the hull to give a greater turn since on this one I am not fitting a motor.

The last photo is that frame fitted with the wet wipe filter, when building the one at the back of the case I came to the conclusion, I am C*ap at building in plasticard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2019, 05:17:33 pm »

OK, the first picture is of the original sail board, cut down to provide the rudder, the lines scribed on it are for the positions of the holes required to lighten it, the holes will vary in diameter to suit the material edge, each hole will also allow the plastic card plating to stick to each other. the second picture is the original shaft that was to be used, it will be shortened to suit and a coupling added between it and the tiller to allow it to be removed, the tiller will be a brass plate on a tube where the tube is secured in the coupling, once built i will try its operation as I don't know if it will operate correctly.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2019, 05:33:31 pm »

So here is the next on the list, mojo was hard to start, work beckons in 2 weeks, so need to get a move on. This went from 10 grammes to 7 grammes

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2019, 08:42:02 am »

Well had the occasion to go into the loft and get a drill and bits out to hang an item in the lads bedroom (he could have cleaned it up first - but thats another story), anyway drilled a few more holes and according to the scales it went from 7g to 6g then flashed between them until finally stopping on 5g. Next is to clean up the excess solder on the joint, then solder it to the shaft.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2019, 02:38:13 pm »

Well, finally decided to do some more on the project, but I forgot to take my phone with me to take some photo's.

A little of the story behind the idea,
I thought, unlike the Sovereign I would make the main and top deck removable to allow access in the future, using a piece of the main deck where the bowsprit passes through as a fixed entity with a small shelf, and the rear bit would be the wall with a small shelf, under the deck would have been a strip each side to create a seal around the underside with tabs in two places to pull it down to keep it tight in position.

So I removed the front bit, fitted a shelf which would have two screws in it to secure the deck, left it for virtually the full week, then I removed the sail winch wheel and threaded the control wires through the tubes, fitted the wheel and secures the control wires.

Then the problem, after trying to install the main deck, it would not sit in the body as the tapering of the hull prevented it, the shelf at the front was at the same height as the original position so the crew protruded above the point I needed them to be at, duh. So I removed the front part for the bowsprit, fitted the main deck in as a permanent part as it would never ever be removable with the size and shape of the hull. Just have to fit the bowsprit and its deck in and the front is partially complete. this bowsprit area was originally to be fitted to do water trails again - but I forgot due to frustration and the main deck is in now.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2019, 02:49:14 pm »

So the pictures
1) the front piece of the bowsprit where the mast sides in.
2) the shelf that was supposed to have 2 screws for securing the remaining deck, and the small piece that came off when it was taken off.
3) the result after it was removed to the bow (the cut out in the hull is for the mast).
4) the crew on the main deck in position.
5 &6) another view of the crew.
7) the rudder attached to the post.

The rudder needs skinning and fitting to the stern, unlike the sovereign, this rudder is well below the water line and will have a portion of the kits rudder glued to the above, I have yet to decide how to attach a tiller, so it may be quite a few months before I do it based on the last update time scale, I also need to charge batteries and see if the sail winch is set right - and have the rudder servo centralize.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.