Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180  (Read 105982 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2019, 04:55:39 pm »

And here is the skin out of the rudder, since the photo its been sanded down a little to provide a key for paint, just trying to think of how deep to place it, think I need to do the water test to see how much of counterweight I need.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »

Well the first part of the 'wet' test.
1, 2 & 3. the hull and in the water.
4, 5 & 6. the bowsprit, and in the water, surprisingly little effect.
7. the battery pack and receiver in a plastic bag.
8, 9 & 10. the battery pack in position, the effect when after adjusting to be centralized close up, and at distance.

will weigh the battery pack and create a counterweight for underneath, then the rudder will need to be fitted, still trying to decide on the best way, there is less access when the top deck is in position, therefore the smaller battery.[size=78%] [/size]

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2019, 01:14:28 pm »

The battery pack weighs 89 g, so once I remove the excess servo holder, I will need to create the keel for attaching the ballast to, I also need to fit the main deck and masts to work out the ballast for this and see where she sits in the water.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2019, 05:53:49 pm »

Well, I have removed the excess servo support, just need to file it down to be more presentable.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »

warspite I really have to admire your tenacity of getting this right.  We are usually having to put loads of lead into our boats to get them right not having to measure grams to get it to float correctly.  Good luck mate I really hope this all works out ok as the model looks amazing!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2019, 03:28:51 pm »

The following is a photo of the rudder tiller before it was shaped, although the next two photo's didn't come out sufficiently good enough to put on here, so the following photos are the existing rudder attached to the rudder shaft, as this is out of the water it has to look the same as the kit the actual rudder will run inside this and be under the vessel - yep a weed catcher, but until the rudders done I cannot do the next water test which entails the remaining decks and masts.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2019, 02:16:13 pm »

Well, you know when you have a plan on how to do something and then everything goes horribly wrong, well the rudder assembly did just that.
It started by first cutting the rudder shaft to the correct length, so far so good, then it came to fitting of the tiller, initially I envisaged adding another piece to the tiller to extend it along the rudder so as not to fit a spacer, that's when it went wrong. it looked like the plan was not going to work as the solder would release so I carried on with the next phase, attaching the tiller to the rudder shaft so that it could be removed, so with a fine pin drill, drilled a hole through the body of the tiller then it broke half way through with the tip still in the hole, so got a bigger drill and drilled just above it all the way through, the tip then fell out. Lined up the shaft to the tiller body at 90 deg and drilled through, that went ok, after a bit of a clean up, fitted the rudder, but then found I needed to remove the servo to get access, then it was trying to find a piece of wire that would do the job, to act as a cotter pin, too thin or too thick, the 3rd picture shows a piece of wire that would fit but was so hard to bend it fell out after a few rotations, the slackest was a piece of 1.5 mm copper wire, which worked but after a dry fit and the servo fitted again the fit was so slack it was useless, so it was stripped down and a screw was then tried and at the moment this is where it is at, but the next time I will be looking for a shorter screw if not a bolt to replace this one. Oh and the spacer wouldn't slide on so thats missing as well, it's just visible on the 3rd picture under the tiller arm.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2019, 02:27:33 pm »

From these pictures you can see the error in the kit from an earlier time, the kit always had issues with the fit, the 3rd and 4th pictures show the support feature for the mizzen deck, but the side parts dont meet the body when the galleries are fitted flush to the stern so the mizzen deck will be smaller than the gap it fits, so this is where some infill will take place, hopefully it will all come good.

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2019, 03:53:37 pm »

When i was a lot younger i dribbled over the Airfix Victory but it was way at the top of the kit price range and at 17/6 it was way too expensive but I did eventually buy one.   The hull was black plastic and the whole thing around a foot long.   

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2019, 12:03:24 pm »

Now that is a strange kit - black, from my first one in the early 70's, it was the same colour as my HMS Sovereign (victory in a different guise) a darker brown than this one, I have noticed it depends on the version, usually as depicted in the box art or as a special edition for say an anniversary, the 70's version I had, it had the climbing nets already made in like a rubber material, you just cut them out and attached them like any other part of the kit, whereas WASA you had to make them up like as the current kits.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2019, 08:58:39 pm »

That looks 'Amizzen' Warspite!

It is good to see you back at it. Building the kit in its basic form is enough work without adding all the extra bits over the last year or so  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2019, 03:25:25 pm »

Well the next wet test,

1. The new rudder - yes I know quite deep, but I wanted the kit rudder in place.
2. The combined weight here is 106 g without the wire.
3. The 53 g washer is to account for the battery that's on charge.
4. The main deck on top of the hull which will need to be force fit into place eventually as the gun deck is lower and pulled the sides in - doh!
5. The red cap indicates the water level which is difficult to see, she appears to be a little down at the stern for this part of the test.
6. Another view closer to the water.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2019, 03:37:58 pm »

The next set of photo's,

7. Here the weight has been increased to 159 g, as when the masts etc. were added and the associated other pieces placed on the main deck, it tried to turn turtle, so it has sat slightly over to the left, when the weights are being fitted eventually this will be adjusted to suit.
8. The reason for the whole sprue is to account for those parts not sat on the deck, in fact the mizzen mast does not have the remaining spars on it as well.
9. The water level is hard to see here and with her listing to the left, it is deceptive that she is at the water line, as the water line is also slightly higher anyway.
10. Another view.
11. Still trying to get a clear view.
12. A stern view showing the list.
13. And a view of the right side.

As you can see the mizzen deck is still causing problems, in fact in the first attempt the main mast fell off and dropped into the water, so some extra weight there, as did the mizzen, so once the top deck is on things should fit better.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2019, 02:05:47 pm »

In the last picture - it shows the main deck rubber banded to the top so I could attach the masts and see how much weight was needed to stop her from rolling, well if you look under the deck there is a strip of plastic each side for strength (though the molding process meant the deck has a bow downwards anyway), well this strip each side effects the crew under as well so I need to cut this out over the length of the gun area on both sides (and stand up some crew who are falling down on the job), so until I am off again, I will begin to do the mod then and get the main deck on, then I have to see if the tube for the rigging on the left has been effected. Slowly getting there.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2019, 02:31:08 pm »

Well on inspection it appears one of the gun crew jumped ship, suspect he is in the waste box, so, technically lost at sea.

The first pictures show the stiffeners having been removed, then the deck attached and the forecastle / head panel added, as I said the gun deck is slightly lower than the kit requires, about 1-2 mm, so the sides are pulled in a little more than they should be, so fitting the main deck has been a struggle, in fact the forward part split - hence the copper piece, that is pulling the base of it out until it is glued in permanently, hopefully when the glue sets and the rubber bands are removed.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2019, 02:33:33 pm »

Also on the right, due to the deck fitting problem, she lost a few of the noggins that populate the forward part, something I will have to add later.

Once the deck is fully glued on i.e. the rear part, then I can do a test to see if the cords move properly as the sides have moved slightly, and paint the bit I missed i.e. the gun deck grating, it should be brown, and fit the pillars that wouldn't have survived the deck fitting phase.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2019, 03:09:14 pm »

Well, the first picture is of the side where I just removed apiece of wire that was pulling the side out where it had split, then the next set of photos are of the painting and the attempt to fit pillars under the main deck and the ladders, got one in at the boat area and one from the main hatch to the gun deck (should have fitted these first - in fact should have planned the crew around them being behind the ladders).

And finally the bowsprit is fitted, leaving for the rest of the day to see if the epoxy cures, then the detailing to be done on this area.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2019, 07:07:05 pm »

Here is the next bit of detail, after epoxy fitting of the bowsprit, I started the 'sewing' it to the hull, so it took a while, its not bad and came out better than I hoped, also drilled the holes for the Boomkins, so they do not break off, like sovereign I am doing them in brass, the vertical is a bit of square section fitted into the deck with a bent piece of hollow rod soldered into it, in sovereign they point upwards, but since I now have a copy of the Anatomy of the ship Victory, they will be correctly orientated.

Also noted one of the doors needs a bit more black.

With a copy of the Airfix instructions I need to plan what goes where before I fit the masts and the associated rigging, and try out the servo operation.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2019, 07:14:33 pm »

{-) {-) {-) >>:-(  I was just checking something and found I dropped a boo boo, doh forgot to put the wings on before the tie downs, which would be more difficult to fit with the wings fitted, but oh dear start again.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2019, 08:30:25 pm »

This is such an amazing build - and warspite your determination to get this sorted is just admirable  :-)) 

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2019, 09:01:14 am »

Thanks,Due to the large time differences between working on it - I forget what I was going to do, though in this instance I just didn't check, doh.

Fit the davits.

I have to try and find things for the crew to do, some are pre-determined i.e. captain and admiral and another officer on the mizzen deck above the wheel, with 4 marines near the stairs, a couple of marines around various parts of the main deck, two crew holding the wheel, 3 are going to be employed doing a sail repair (hopefully) and a couple of scamps bringing buckets up from below for the upper 6 gun crews to practice with their crews milling about, but that all has to be fitted before the masts and the rigging - and I have to test the operational capability of the sail winch by shortening its travel by some means if necessary.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2019, 08:10:53 pm »

Well on Sunday morning before going to work I removed the sewing, soon will fit the cheeks and start again.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2019, 10:05:19 pm »

Well what a pa lava, the cheeks were fitted and the assembly left overnight to 'cure' with suitable clamps, the photos show the before and after sewing the bowsprit on, which with the cheeks did not give much room, the rear part required a bit of lateral thinking that I employed on the first attempt, I folded the thread into two at the end and used glue to make it at least partly solid, to act as a needle. then after tying the first part started the laborious job of threading it in and out (must point out even after an hour since finishing it my eyes are still not adjusted to be able to write this).

Anyways, the front part was easier, I could use an actual needle to thread in and out so it went faster for that part,then I fitted the front board, the remaining stairs to below, the entrance to the orlop deck and then the boats, still have to sew the boats to the runners to finish it off.

just need to sketch the deck and position crew accordingly and fit the deck parts before starting on the masts.

For those of you more astute - in the third picture, yes there is a loose thread that's been cut out now.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2019, 10:39:33 am »

Other than a bit of painting to tidy up, the following are just the furniture, the bell and stove pipe need painting before fitting, you can see how bad the fit for the mizzen deck is by the gaps present at the back, and previously mentioned the sides are pulled in a bit, so the front portion has had to be 'altered a little for it to fit.

I also have to make some crew figures, so the speed of the build will slow down significantly as the scene progresses (and as I get each of them jobs to do), fitting the crew will be before the masts go in and rigging as space is a tad tight.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2019, 04:14:15 pm »

well, just spent some time tying the boats down, though could be better, again the eyes are tired so will leave it for now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.