Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180  (Read 105934 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2020, 09:07:09 pm »

Pictures 1 & 2

Started to link the yards together, the first attempt was not as good as it should have been, after the batteries were attached and the transmitter and the rx switched on, it appears the control wires were off and rotated uneven, though in principle they do work.

It looks like the Overlander doesn't hold its charge that well (it is old so to be expected).

So attempt number two is picture 3, these are the connecting lines between the yards, to retain the control lines lengths, i.e. not cutting them down I have added a sacrificial length of thread this will connect to the loops added to the yards so if they perish over time then they can be replaced, this is the thought, tie a looped thread with a simple knot, tie the ends of this thread to the yard, then if the control line needs to be detached, then either the loop can be removed without effecting the yard or the control line or the sacrificial line as either can be cut and disposed of and replaced. without my CAD being available I cannot draw the concept, but all I have to do is cut threads that connect the control line to the yard.

The sacrificial line is created by creating a loop along the length of the control line, then the sacrificial line has a loop at the end where the end is threaded through the control line and back through the loop at the end of itself, when tightened the knot on the sacrificial line is slightly away from the control line loop, so by cutting between the control line loop and the knot, it frees the sacrificial line to be replaced, I will try to hand draw this tomorrow when the control lines are connected.

It appears the battery died not long after connecting it and then the servos wouldn't operate so I am waiting on that to charge before resetting the control lines, as I may have said earlier the trim tab is all that is needed to rotate from full port to full starboard.

Currently the yards are held in place with ties back to either the davits at the stern or the bowsprit, will have to disconnect the top yards before connecting the control lines and I just remembered how I was originally going to connect them - like tent guide rope stays.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2020, 11:10:33 am »

Well the set up is not by any long way 'pretty', but it works, the only mod needed was to tie the foremast main yard down to the deck bitt, as the tension kept pulling the yard up against the mast so seemed to lock in position, its a thread that does not seem out of place, though it is a brown thread.

As promised the sketches, forgot how hard it is to hand draw threads knotted, used a braided pair of headphone cord to do it.

The control lines are connected and are now connected to both the main and upper yards, all rotates as it should, well pleased.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2020, 12:47:26 pm »

not sure this will work

https://youtu.be/VHxvOSl8B1M

Just checked it, it works

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2020, 12:52:43 pm »

This shows the sails and rudder working, as a question regarding batteries, what size of 4.8v or 6v battery is sufficient to run a micro servo and a standard servo through a hitec receiver for an appreciable length of time (complete dufuss over the electrics).

Also had to create a new youtube account as forgot the sign in details for the original and when you look how long since I last posted you can see why.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2020, 03:17:56 pm »

Tried the first test tank attempt, the results were disappointing, the battery was the overlander and did not sit straight in the hull, and when the initial test ballast was fitted it seemed too little, each washer is 52g so the weight is 3 x 52 which is 159g including the wire, so with 4 x 52 its actually only 209g so the new washer is a little light.

Well created a battery tray to be fitted to prevent the battery being loose in the hold and the test ballast, just have to fit it.

Then a further test to see if she sits as need be.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: May 27, 2020, 05:13:17 pm »

Well eventually fitted the battery tray and the second photo is off all the stuff just placed in for the balance test.

Though thinking about it it would have been better fitting this a lot earlier in the build.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: May 27, 2020, 05:25:01 pm »

Now for the interesting bit  :-))

The balance test, the test weight at 210g is hooked onto each of the three holes in the sailboard bracket.

Each photo shows the weight moving from the rear to the front - I see a comparison to the three bears coming on, but it appears the centre hole with the weight attached is the best option, so next will be the building of the sailboard, the decision is whether to permanently fit it or have it detachable and how, surprised at the waterline being a lot better than sovereigns - though in all fairness she has brass masts.

Its difficult to see where the weight is as I have to keep filling the sink to allow her to float so she moves around.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2020, 04:01:05 pm »

So tried a little experiment, at 200g + she was very stable when sat in the sink - so

Attached the 150g + directly clamped to the bracket and she was only listing to port by a small amount, especially when 50g + to the port side and 100g + to the starboard side of the bracket, did try just the 100g + to the starboard side only, she started to roll to that side.

To explain the bracket is slightly biased to the port side, so anything on the starboard is then partly directly under the centre, it seems that 150g + is a decent weight directly under the keel, I do have enough lead to make a skeg up to 300g/350g but no way as yet of making a mold to melt the lead into (have a propane torch to melt the lead and some brass to cast into it for the bracket).

Still need to cut some of the bracket off under the keel and fine tune the position of the skeg.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2020, 04:22:54 pm »

Seeing this in your sink really brings home just how small this ship is and just how much effort you have made to get this to work - just amazing!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2020, 10:01:24 pm »

Looking awesome! Just a thought (and you have already done so I expect) have you allowed for potential tilt due to wind blowing into the sails? Is the ballast enough?? I doubt you would sail her in a strong wind but just in case it gets gusty on the pond  {:-{

Again, the video shows the amount of effort you have gone to make her a diorama as well as a working model. No mean feat with a small scale hull.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2020, 09:28:15 am »

She self rights quite well with anything from 150g to 200g, I think Sovereign had 250g but at about 90mm under the keel, this is directly under the keel, its all R&D so the real test will be the getting her wet in a pond, she is also a lot more detailed than her older sister.

Need to revise her sisters keel weight before they both go for a swim.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:32 am »

S painted the copper bottom, though I dont think the keel was plated, on the kit there is no markings as if it was so left that black, the matt paint seems to have come out gloss, so will have to go over it again.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2020, 10:29:47 am »

Today I am going to try and make the skeg,

First the skeg body, using a 22mm dia copper pipe coupling.

Next the slot cut along its length for the bracket to be fitted - note for Sovereign I originally envisaged this coupling hence the hole.

Next the bracket.

The idea is to drill a couple of holes in the bracket, the markings are where the holes are when the plate is butt up against the keel, any hole within these areas will hold the skeg to the keel.

Once cut out the slot will mate with the copper fitting, then I plan to squash the  copper fitting slightly to allow the weight to be further down, i.e. lower profile the copper fitting weighs 18g so need a further 132g to complete, I have weights up to that, just not sure if it will work.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2020, 03:42:36 pm »

so the skegs made, just have to see if it will connect, may have to open the holes a little.

These are the fasteners with an AA battery for comparison, will need to epoxy them so they dont fall off.

The bracket with and without the masking tape, the holes are so the lead will bite and hold it in position.

The skeg assembled.

The slots extended.

And it reassembled.

And it completed, the weight is 154g, just need to create an end cap rather than a blunt end, see if it will fit to the keel and paint it.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2020, 10:39:01 am »

Fitted the skeg - has a look of the enterprise, before water test I need to clear coat the hull, its a metallic copper colour Humbrol MET 171, so even after two days its already looking like its oxidizing, some green tinge appearing, sovereign although clear coated also shows the oxidation but she is several years older.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2020, 10:41:23 pm »

The skeg is a good idea! Re the keel, I am confident it was also coppered because if that gets weakened by the worm, then the back breaks and the ship is in peril  {:-{

Super progress either way.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: June 05, 2020, 12:47:01 pm »

Painted the keel MET 171 as well now, there are some very faint lines on the keel at the bow but not along the keel, the hull is 'riveted' but the keel shows no individual plates or riveting, also where there are plates these are painted MET 171, but wood is Matt black, most modelers do a clean line, I have gone for the only the plates are painted.

Others may disagree that the worm could do that much damage, from what I remember, copper plates were added to keep barnacles etc of the hull which in turn meant that ships were devoid of drag from the creatures, what the hull was waterproofed with was discussed last year as being more effective than the copper i.e. it being toxic.

Just a couple of things to do now and she is finished, attach threads to the bottom fore and main mast sails and any other missing rigging, Matt varnish the hull about 3 times, put the skeg on and test her stability, add a bulb to the skeg front and back with additional weight to trim, this is either on the skeg or in the rear area and paint the skeg.

To do a proper test I will need to use the test tank rather than the sink (even though that is an easier option to fill and empty) now where did I put it.

Also forgot - need to build the double carrier, this will transport both vessels, though will try to rebuild a skeg for sovereign it has the majority in a skeg but on the end of a screw thread.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2020, 02:41:22 pm »

Well used the sink as a test tank again and she is still level with just the skeg (see below).

As for balance, need to always make sure the receiver is on the starboard side and even then maybe a little bit of counterweight to be sure.

For the carrier I have to source some screws suitable (and find the parts).

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2020, 06:11:58 pm »

Painted the skeg and then remembered I should have tweaked it first - doh.

I did notice in the last photo's that the skeg is hardly visible from the surface.

Also, the view is from the rear of it, still need to create a bubble to the front and then paint it and varnish it

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2020, 08:15:16 pm »

Good for you! So nearly there and ready for some sailing sessions when things get a bit freer  :}

I am glad you have a bit of spare buoyancy there for if she tilts due to a gust that the skeg cannot cope with.

I am pleased you have stuck with this challenging project and seen it right through.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: June 13, 2020, 11:01:18 am »

Thanks, I wont be trying to do a frigate as I think the freeboard issue would be too much, plus finding one at the same scale that's british, though in retrospect some were not as they were captured and renamed - maybe in the future.

Swimbo says I need to finish the other vessels first and sort out the loft so I can store them properly.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2020, 11:19:11 am »

So, the next little project for Victory is its transport stand, well for both vessels actually, so utilizing scrap wood from bed slats, I created the following frame, the foam will pad the beds out to protect the hulls, the frame will be attached to a couple of other 'slats' that will raise the bed off the floor to allow the skeg and rudders to sit clear of the floor, and of course a handle to carry it all, will have to use a lot of wood filler and paint it to hide the errors, Should have more mojo when working with wood to ensure a better quality finish.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2020, 03:45:32 pm »

So brought the other vessel from the loft for 'upgrading', i.e. some more troops to be fitted and some more thread added to make her look more like a ship of the line, she also needs the other two anchors fitting and the stern lanterns replacing, I might even fit the hammock parts to the mizzen deck though she weighs too much now.

One of the thoughts is to try and reduce the skeg under the hull to a more acceptable depth, but having brass masts that may be more difficult than it sounds.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: June 17, 2020, 12:36:41 pm »

Completed building the stand, just need to clean it up now and fit the foam.

I found these two boats, if memory serves me right they are off the Wasa, the small one is about the scale of a 34ft, painted in the light blue it will need to sit atop the victory's other boats, the large one I could put on Sovereign but will be massively out of scale.

I also have two booms to add to both vessels though I am unsure if I have any rod the right diameter.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: June 17, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »

I am sure the foam will hide the worst carpentry sins. The other areas look good.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.