Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180  (Read 105959 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Attempt number two for an Airfix Victory at 1:180
« Reply #350 on: June 18, 2020, 10:24:43 am »

Wood filler will be extensively used  {-)

To be honest the frame is quite big and I am looking at it and wondering whether to reduce it by replacing two pieces and cutting down two others, then it wont be too wide and the distance between the bowsprits and the handle will be shortened, without the main masts colliding.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #351 on: June 18, 2020, 09:13:09 pm »

As long as you can still get the fleet in and out of the frame then go for it.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #352 on: June 22, 2020, 03:14:41 pm »

Well the fleet was removed, and apart from other work the carrier is now smaller.

The first Picture is of one side of the carrier - before the two foot bars were shortened.

The second is of the other side and the feet have been shortened.

The Third picture is the new gap between the rails.

When I started the redesign I knew I had to replace the ends of the rails, to shorten the rails so that they would be square, and that the handle would also need shortening, the new ends was to rectify the errors in the first two, I spent ages measuring and remeasuring and checking that they were right.

Boy that was hard - and I still got them wrong - should have sanded the insides to make sure that side was the inside, it would have removed the old marking from the first attempt to mark out, still dont know if it right, as the heights were still out for the rails, doh

So still have to get some wood filler and primer to finish it and then I can fit the foam.

Need a rest, taped 'hell boats' so will watch that.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #353 on: June 22, 2020, 10:38:52 pm »

Oh now that looks a tighter and neater stand  :-)) All that effort paid off.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2020, 04:58:30 pm »

And with a coat of primer and exterior gloss, tomorrow check coverage and apply where necessary, it doesn't need to be perfect as it is a carrier and not a display stand.

I could cut some timber and box in the underside as a tray for bits, but thats later if I get round to it.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #355 on: June 26, 2020, 12:41:03 pm »

The final touches to the carrier, so not to damage my desk or another surface, I attached 4 self adhesive pads that came with an Ikea piece of wall / floor furniture, bit like a bookshelf or wall shelf in a 'BOX KITE' shape, to make sure they wouldn't come off I tried stapling them as well (need to paint the staples as well.

Then fitted the ship foam cushions, glued to the slats and then using the classic drawing pins to secure, I painted the drawing pins to prevent them rusting over and to obscure them.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #356 on: June 26, 2020, 09:57:22 pm »

Good Lord! After al that hard work and experimentation and figure making you have finally finished your lovely shippes and their carrier!

I am very pleased for you  :-)) :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2020, 12:01:33 pm »

Thanks, there is still a couple of bits to add to victory, but yes she is virtually finished, tried to see if I could replicate the skeg on victory on Sovereign, but I need to fabricate a new connection to the hull to be able to add the test weights.

Whats holding things up? - the good weather to sit out in and sorting through the many boxes in the loft to allow me back onto the workbench  :D

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #358 on: June 27, 2020, 01:03:46 pm »

Just think of the treasure you might find in those boxes. I assume that some are hobby related, and not all thirty year old toys and clothes!
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #359 on: June 28, 2020, 12:33:14 pm »

Correct, several treasures, including a very heavy metal box that was built as part of my apprenticeship, need to cut the lock off and hopefully will find amongst other things a continuation circuit tester also built during my apprenticeship and a Greek translation book I have been looking for, for over 3 years.

I know I have a box with a third 1/24th scale trailer, I built 4 x 1/24th scale trucks in the past, a Peterbuilt now gone the infamous 'RUBBER DUCK' Mack from the film Convoy - also now gone, and the other two are Ertl's, a International Transtar 4300 and an International Transtar Eagle, the 4300 is a conventional designed truck and in need of some serious repairing, the Eagle is a cab over and I have just repaired the front axle and put it in a better box to protect it, in another box is some police cars where various wheels have broken off, only two are in a decent condition, and a box of Airfix / Matchbox Bi planes, bombers and fast jets.

I do have to build a frame to stack the choppers and boats in the same box, but that's another project.

Anyway here is the latest for Victory - the small boat is repainted, also the big boat for Sovereign and its anchors, on the big boat I painted the inside white and then the whole of the outside, then I repainted the top seats and edge in the same brown as the other boats, only to find the original colour of the plastic is the same as that painted back on, Doh, just some oars to make.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »

So - I decided to do a bit more to finish off Victory.

First I tied down the small boat.

I then fitted the ropes to hold the bottom sails to the main deck.

I also found the international transtar 4300 is in a very bad way. With it was two other items a trailer and my childhood build of an LCMIII, again in bad repair, but sadly not repairable so may go to the spares box - well the crew for definite.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »

So those that are the sail boys will know what these are - the main sail bottom booms.

First, scrapped paint off the main port and starboard channels.
Then a small amount from the front of the mizzen channels.

I ground a flat about 4 mm long off a piece of what I thought was rod, it was tube, and then cut it off at 5 mm long, did this twice, then cut 2 lengths of 95 mm of the tube.

Between the first and second ratlines I epoxy fitted the 5 mm piece under the port and starboard channels so it poked out 1 mm, then epoxied the tubes from the main channel to the mizzen channel spanning the gap (except it failed to on the port side).

When painted will need to rig to wherever, It is another little detail that is not on the kit, I could have used some yards not used on Sovereign, but they were to short if cut in half and big in diameter at the largest end oh and hexagonal.

Apart from the stairs to the mizzen deck and the rear lamps, she should then be finished, but the lamps are a pain as they are easily knocked off, even with the metal davits on the rear, so some soldering / epoxying to be done to make them fit, will do sovereigns as well while I am at it.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2020, 10:19:52 pm »

I have enjoyed following this project, and even though I popped off for a while, when I came back you were still persevering  :-))

The trouble is being able to say 'Stop. I have done enough'.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:53 pm »

Only when she turns turtle  {-) {-)

Got the test tank down trails tomorrow

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »

Well painted the sail booms and you would hardly know they are there  :((

For the rear lanterns, I have this piece of copper that will need shaping and cutting, 6 horizontal brackets and 6 vertical brackets, 1 each soldered together and fitted to the stern, then I can pop the lanterns on, I have already drilled the necessary hole in the undersides ready to be epoxied on.

Funnily enough, its the first time I have used the Dremel drill stand properly rather than as a holder for grinding something against the wheel when the Dremel is in the stand.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #365 on: July 01, 2020, 12:35:09 pm »

Well here is the lanterns fitted to the Sovereign.

The ones for Victory.

And them fitted.

What a pain, and not even sure there is sufficient epoxy to hold them on, Sovereigns being the first to be fitted look the best and Victory's was a pain, the hole to slide the copper wire into is so small even with a torch behind to light the holes doesn't help.

Ideally the holes are drilled and an excessive amount is passed through, then cut flush, but I don't have cutters small enough to fit in the back without damaging everything.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #366 on: July 01, 2020, 12:37:54 pm »

So once painted, the threads for the rear davits and the threads for the sail booms are fitted she is finished, oh and a test tank check.

Then I can start on Sovereigns upgrade, some more troops, threads to the same places as Victory or thereabouts and she will be finished as well cosmetically, just checks to reduce the skeg to the underside or a better one (this will be the 4th skeg for Sovereign).

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #367 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:46 pm »

So here is a quandary!!, these studding sail booms - two of which for the main mast are now fitted and I know where they are rigged from and to, there aren't any on the mizzen, but there are on the foremast, now I know that on the main mast they are connected between the first and second ratlines on the outside of the channels via a hinged block and a support at the end of the channels for when stored.

The Foremast ones are shown in the book but they are shown with the end against the hull forward of the foremast channels, here is the problem, I am assuming they are stored on deck or between the blocks of the ratlines and hull on the foremast channel, they don't pivot from a hinge because the pivot point is against the hull and the channels protrudes further out from the hull (apart from the fact the book shows the studding sail booms above the level of the channels), so for a boom to run along the foremast channels outside, its end at the hull would have to swing out, the book does not show supports on the channels for the boom to sit in like it does on the main mast.

So say its loose, then swinging the boom forward towards the bow and slide the end of the boom over the top of the channel and lay it down on the channel, then lashed to secure, it seems quite a laborious way to do this, surprised the didn't do the same as the main masts and you also have to contend with the anchors getting in the way, they are also quite long the main at 61 foot and the foremast one at 54 foot.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #368 on: July 01, 2020, 02:57:04 pm »

Well these last construction photo's (the test tank and a water ones will be the last).

They show the port and starboard threads to the studding sail booms, on reflection the block and tacks to hold it for and aft would be removable in practice, as the current 1:1 at Portsmouth, only shows a bare boom, no blocks etc (internet pictures), also for what its worth I will leave the foremast studding boom off since as stated earlier there is no indication that it was external to the channels and would be hidden by the ratlines, if I had built this with the full set of sails and yards, (difficult to transport as the sails sit way out to the sides) then it would have been worth doing them.

So - 5 years it's taken to do this on and off, March 13 2015 when I opened the can of worms, in those first few replies I stated I would comment on the build quality of the kit, though crisper than it's predecessor, its still has the same basic faults regarding the fit at the rear, flash was not as bad, but its not an easy model to make - well, saying that I didn't make it easy on my self, time will tell if the control function of it works, though it does look promising.

As a Kit I give it a 7 out of 10 for quality (tamiyas are better), in a more experienced hands maybe it could score higher.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #369 on: July 10, 2020, 01:38:16 pm »

Well, did a bouyancy test in the test tank - the pictures show where she sits in the water, quite a list to Port, so a tweak of the skeg and she was upright - yaaay, then whilst doing this realized that the battery was not in - Doh, start afresh when Sovereigns skeg is redone and tried out.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2022, 09:17:21 am »

Well it's been 730 days since I put the last picture up and she has not been sailed yet due to work commitments, but I had forgotten to add this link to the youtube video which shows her and the sails operating as planned - yeah - something went right, sailing is complicated as the weather needs to be reasonably decent and a good breeze as she is not powered under the water like sovereign is, also where to sail, the clubs around here are either quite a distance for the decent 'ponds' the others are difficult to mount a recovery from if it gets into difficulty or to wait around at if i have to wait until she gets to the side.

The video is on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxvOSl8B1M

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.