Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please - small local model boat club  (Read 9988 times)

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Help please - small local model boat club
« on: March 14, 2015, 10:24:34 am »

I have been asked to help out a very small local model boat club. They have use of a very good local pond/lake which has excellent facilities, café, parking, toilets etc. We can only use electric or sail (wind power) at the lake. In my mind they need to get together with more like minded individuals. So I was thinking  does anyone here have ideas how to get more people to a monthly use of lake  or even organising a event, any pitfalls I need to look at etc?

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:45:52 am »

Usual things like advertising in the local area, shops, etc., maybe a flyer in your local schools.
Check out the insurance situation, if it's local council or private property some form of public
Liability cover may be required, make sure that you as organiser are covered otherwise in the case of an accident you will be responsible.
Delegate to reliable people only otherwise you'll end up doing the job anyway.

Competition can be a draw, but don't make them too serious to start, fun class racing with an inexpensive one class boat, for more scale type boats then handling tasks are the norm, loads of buoys and a clearly marked course.

Best of luck with it, it can be a thankless task and there'll be more people ready to complain than pat you on the back and say thank you.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help please - small local model boat club
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:17:52 pm »

I have been asked to help out a very small local model boat club. They have use of a very good local pond/lake which has excellent facilities, café, parking, toilets etc. We can only use electric or sail (wind power) at the lake. In my mind they need to get together with more like minded individuals. So I was thinking  does anyone here have ideas how to get more people to a monthly use of lake  or even organising a event, any pitfalls I need to look at etc?

Be nice to know the Name of this Club and where you sail.

Len.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »

Make the springer tugs available for children to run.
I was at a hobby show up North, and a gentleman walked up to me and
said, "I want you to know that it's all your fault."  :o
I asked what I had done, and he pointed out a young eight year old at
the far side of the indoor pool set up. "That's my son," he said.
"Two years ago you let him run one of your boats, and he hasn't let up on
me since." I asked who's boat he was running at the moment, and the father told
me that he had to buy the nice RTR, so they could sail, and the last two years they would come to the show to sail with the local club in the winter.

So, never know what may come to pass, but putting the springers into the
hands of the young'ns may bring them and the family down to the pond.

:-))

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:27 pm »

If this pool has public access, you will need to make sure ALL club members sailing boats have liability insurance, this is purely to cover yourselves in case of an accident with a member of the public, or even if you allow a member of the public [or child even] to operate one of your boats and they loose control and it crashes against the shoreline, causing someone to trip over the bits. yes it only covers the injury to the member of the public, not your boat, but in the ever increasing totals of liability claims, you should really think about this too, as we would all hate for something to happen and you ended up in a claims court.

We as a club use MPBA for ours, its reasonable cost and can sometimes work out cheaper than going to a broker for them to search a company out, especially if the club as yet has low member numbers.

best of luck.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:13:06 am »

Many thanks one and all. What is the world coming to that we have to insure a simple pastime? OK joking aside thanks for sage advice. Which leads me to more questions, I regularly fly model planes and have BMFA insurance will this cover me for my (not the clubs) model boats as well? Someone mentioned MPBA Guessing this is Model Power Boat Association are you talking about Affiliated Club Membership?

Kind regards
Andy

49perkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:54 pm »

As has been said,if you name the club and location,there may be people on here either in wiltshire or within travelling distance who may be interested in joining,which obviously would boost the clubs membership
You can dance if you want to

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 05:23:18 pm »

Don't quote me but I have seen posts by BMFA members stating that BFMA insurance covers boating activities.
It should be on your policy anyway.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:30 pm »

Hold an open day  :-))  Yes to the insurance.
The best way of getting boaters to see what you have at your lake is to advertise on here and have an open event. You will be surprise how far boaters will travel. Here at Stevenage we have regular members who travel 30/40 miles each way to get here.

Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:47 am »

BMFA covers you the individual, but not for club activities, that is another thing.  Inside your BMFA handbook there is a section covering this topic, I suggest its worth a read, whilst specific to fixed wing and helis, the club rules etc will be same for boats :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:55:49 am »

Hi, nice to know that there is a new club coming along.
Insurance as has been explained is necessary but its main use to you is to give the local authority confidence in you.  You may be asked to carry out a risk assessment, this is mainly common sense but if you want help send me a PM.

Do not overlook your County Library service as they usually have all local clubs and activities listed with contacts and meeting times.  So when you can register with them.

Have you got a name yet?  This does carry some weight.  You just need a Chairman and Secretary and then see how it develops. 

For purposes of saying what the club is for, think in terms of promoting and enjoying the hobby of model boating and sailing.
The model boat magazines will carry an advert for you.

All the stuff so far in the thread is good and it is nice to know that you are willing / able to get a new club going.
best of luck,
Roy (Hon Sec of a club full of wrinklies).

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:10:23 am »

Hi all thank you so much for all your help. Some good advice. I will contact the insurance people.

In regards to open event that sounds like a good idea. The lake is owned by local council so will need to ask them first. However there is at least 3 lakes in local area.

I know that the BMFA approach this  hobby on the basis of a sport so that it gets recognition by local authorities, is it the same for model boating?

Sorry for all the questions but would rather get this right at first attempt.

Cheers Andy

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 05:06:24 pm »

So, is the clubs name a top secret,  %)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »

Our lake is a Council run amenity and when we approached
them they stipulated 5Million public liability insurance .
They were very helpful with us setting up and allocated us
a fisherman free launch and recovery site and secure storage
for a rescue boat etc.
In these times of austerity don't ask for too much that will cost
Money.

Ned

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:06 pm »

Hello

Thanks for recent input especially about insurances, club name is not a secret but does have a very small membership. One of the existing officers simply asked me if I could help out. Therefore I am gathering information on what could be done to help out and had various ideas to perhaps promote the club etc hence my post. I am sure you can appreciate the reason I have not divulged the club name, is nothing is official yet and I want them to hear it from me at a meeting in April rather than by hearsay. After all the committee could just as easy not agree to ideas put forward an go back to where it is now and do nothing.  I stand to gain nothing out of this, a thankless task as pointed out by various parties on here. If approved by committee and we can increase in members there will be a website.  The lake we sail from is very good and very well maintained, with clean toilets and a café at very reasonable costs very close by, there is also some shelter should the weather turn bad. 

Cheers
Andy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 08:59:59 pm »

Hi, I am amazed that the Council wants you to have that much insurance!
How much damage can you do?  Sometimes these are just numbers that councils dream up.  Our club carries £2M which has been quite acceptable.  It is worth argueing the case.

I have recent experience with our County Highways authority who required us to have £10M insurance just to put up signs for our annual exhibition!
I argued the case over a couple of years as this was costing £75 for just 2 weeks insurance cover.  Now they accept that our measily £2M is enough.

Just remember that an insurance company is just an up-market betting shop!
Your premium is a bet they take on a very unlikely happenstance.
I understand that the U.K. carries more insurance per head of population than any other country.

The profits are paying for G & T's in the Cayman Islands, for people you might not like!

regards Roy (ex-insurance company clerk, saw the light and studied electronics).

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:24:52 pm »

In OZ...the benchmark for model club activities on Crown Land is $20M for public liability O0.......here is our current policy............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:53 am »

Hi Derekwarner-decoy, the numbers look very impressive but it is the premium that matters.

Our club is obliged by outside forces to have insurance cover.  The last time I checked, this amounted to 55 % of a members annual subscriptions.

We basically sail our model boats and a few have live steam engines and traction engines.  All very innocent and there has not been a claim as the insurance company insists we follow sensible guide lines.  If we do not they will not pay up!

So logically we can remove the insurance company from the equation, follow the guidelines and save money from not paying premiums.  As if we do not follow our guidelines, the insurance company will not pay up anyway!  So maybe we are not really insured!  Almost "Catch 22".

It is crazy logic being enforced by people in authority who know no better.
The insurance cover is not insuring us for negligence / ignorance / stupidity, just for an unusual event and then they will fight the case!

Just think how many cold phone calls we receive (mainly UK ) and the pressure we get when buying items in a shop when they want to sell you a warranty / insurance cover.
I have insurance for my car as that is the law.  I have insurance for my house as it is a gamble I do not wish to take.  But even with house insurance you do not have to pay more than a reasonable amount.  A friend told me that they were paying £900 p.a. for house insurance, I suggested going on-line and getting a quote, they now pay £300 for the same cover with a reputable company.

Sorry to go off thread but as I said these guys in the Cayman Islands never had it so good!

regards Roy

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 11:35:50 pm »

As an example, MPBA insurance give you £20 million in cover, and for a meagre £19.50 - £22 per person per year [age dependent].
We run our club on a Council owned site and they accept either BMFA or MPBA without question on the insurance front and as a club we do allow both to be accepted, so gives your membership a wider choice of activities too. They can still go fly an aero, then come along and sail too.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 04:20:02 am »

{-).....you never see a thin, underfed shabby dressed CEO of an insurance company  >>:-(

Did not the origins of loss insurance as we know it in the Western world stem from groups of financiers & tea merchants in early London's tea houses who created "a hedging bet for fee" system to cover the potential of a sailing clipper being lost at sea with a cargo of tea?.......also was it not a Mr Lloyd who started this financial system? %)........

Having said this.......I am certainly not disagreeing with you Roy..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 08:51:24 am »

And the biggest insurance frauds usually involve shipping

Ned

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 10:05:26 am »

Hi gregk9, the insurance cover is just a number. 
Can you imagine the biggest problem you could cause and how much it might cost?  We have an annual exhibition we use a school, we have a portable pool.  Lets say that overnight something happened, the school was flooded all the pupils had to be re-located in schools and then the clean up operation took 3 weeks plus re-decorating.  You are still going to have a lot of change from your £20M insurance cover.
We have MPBA cover for £5M more than enough and a lot cheaper than the £20 odd per head mentioned.
regards Roy

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 10:38:48 pm »

Hi All. Just a big thank you for all the help one and all. Well we have had our meeting and I am pleased to say that current committee have agreed that I can help and would like me to take this forward. The club is Warminster Model Boat Club. It has been in exisistance a lot longer than I thought well over 25 years. That said though the membership has dwindled somewhat and only a handful of members sailing nowadays. We have current use of the lake in the park in town centre, postcode BA12 9NT and entrance is opposite Morrisons supermarket there is parking right next to the lake for the less able with additional free parking very close by. We sail second thursday of each month from 5.30 pm onwards. Guests are very welcome to sail as long as they can provide Insurance details before they sail. We are only allowed electric models or wind power at present but am hoping in get steam approved in near future We are not allowed Fast Electrics per se however sports boats are most welcome. We have to be sensible in our approach as there is a lot wildlife in the lake.   We are hoping to increase this to a Sunday mornings once we get permission from local authority. Also planned  some open days throughout the year. As well as days where clubs can visit us hopefully on reciprocal arrangements.  During winter months we meet at a local pub if sailing is off due to weather conditions Of course new members are very welcome, at present cost is very reasonable at £10.00 per year however you do have to have your own insurance. We will be offering insurance with membership at a later date. A website will arrive online but suspect later in the year.
So is there any interest?

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 12:03:32 pm »

Just a quick update to say the club has now been resurrected, we now have some new members and are looking for more. We have £5M insurance cover and quarterly open days. We now also have sailing on every Sunday from 11am to 1pm as well as the Thursdays previously announced. Cost to join is £15.00 per annum which includes your insurance. We also now have a website

www.warmistermbc.co.uk

We look forward to seeing you!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »

Hello you may want to look at the web address you have supplied, even with an 'n' inserted it does not help, although a club named search works fine.
regards Roy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.