Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDF or Ply........ Foamex sheet?!  (Read 20459 times)

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MDF or Ply........ Foamex sheet?!
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 01:22:22 am »

Foamex is, I believe a skinned, foamed pvc sheet.  I have used it a lot for sheet parts, having been given a load by a sign-printer

it glues (reluctantly) with any of the solvent styrene glues, but would glue perfectly with plumbers pvc glues (I didn't try that, I would have had to buy it)

And it takes paint well.

AAArgh - I have just Google Foamex and found in Aus its a company who work in Polystrene!   >:-o

so Yes, we need to be careful with names and descriptions
andrew

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »

So what's the type of foam used in foamboard and foamex? Did anyone ever tried to remove the paper from the foam board to use only the foam?

Daniel

johnvb

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 12:37:08 am »

Foamex is, I believe a skinned, foamed pvc sheet.  I have used it a lot for sheet parts, having been given a load by a sign-printer

it glues (reluctantly) with any of the solvent styrene glues, but would glue perfectly with plumbers pvc glues (I didn't try that, I would have had to buy it)

And it takes paint well.

AAArgh - I have just Google Foamex and found in Aus its a company who work in Polystrene!   >:-o

so Yes, we need to be careful with names and descriptions
andrew

I went looking as well and found the same site, but a bit further down in the Google list there was
http://www.plastix.com.au/materials_foamed_pvc.html

It doesn't mention being skinned though

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:22 am »

The foam used in foamboard sheet is polysyrene foam, and indeed the paper (card) front and back can be removed by soaking to leave a sheet of ps foam WHICH IS NOT SKINNED (Depron foam is skinned), so it is very flexible

OK so there are two meanings of Foamex
A) a brand name for Skinned PVC foam much used in the sign-printing industry, point of sale etc (hence the skins so it can be printed on)
and
 B)   In Australia (?only) the name of a company selling insulation products and the brand they put on their polystyrene insulation products (both extruded and expanded)

So, as usual, be careful out there, folks :-)
andrew
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.