Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darling River Paddle Boat  (Read 1260 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Darling River Paddle Boat
« on: March 29, 2015, 07:45:54 am »

We are currently in our caravan travelling in outback Queensland and New South Wales and, while much of our travels do not include anything boat related, one thing does. Whilst in Bourke in outback NSW, we did a short cruise on the Darling River on board the PV Jandra. Jandra is a modern replica of the paddle steamers that used to ply the Darling carrying mainly wool, but also just about anything that needed moving. She was built in Bourke in 2001 and, unlike her ancestors which were steam powered, is diesel over electric, in other words, she has a Deutz diesel engine driving a generator which supplies current to an electric motor on each paddle. I'm not sure of her length, but she only draws about 22 inches of water as the river can be quite shallow.We had an enjoyable cruise on the mighty Darling, at 2740 km it's Australia's longest river, although for much of its length it's not navigable by anything bigger than a small runabout and actually stops flowing during dry spells. The Darling has many tributaries and drains a large part of south western Queensland and western NSW. It joins the Murray River at Wentworth and flows in to the sea at Goolwa in South Australia.

Peter.

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Darling River Paddle Boat
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:26 am »

Both the boat and the scenery look really attractive and make me wish I could visit my relatives in WA, (Near Perth), however I don't think I would survive the journey.   Peter, I envy you.   Pete

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:46:53 pm »

Peter, it is well worth seeing models of the Murray River paddlers in the facebook group - Murray River Model Paddle Steamers.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:22 am »

Thanks for that Tony, I'll check it out.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.