Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPILLING THE MAIN BRACE FOR ORBY 1  (Read 2121 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
SPILLING THE MAIN BRACE FOR ORBY 1
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:26:24 pm »

Started this thread here because there are a few photographs to go with the description.? This is how I overcome the problems associated with misaligned planks and veneers.

All in all there will be 6 photographs? :D? and dont forget there is no such thing as a bodge - just a practical solution to a bloody problem.

This first set of photographs show how I have clamped my next plank (can be veneer) approximately 10mm away from the last planks that were glued on.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: SPILLING THE MAIN BRACE FOR ORBY 1
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:29:06 pm »

RIGHT.... in the last 3 photos you will also see I have a piece of scrap wood approximately 12 mm wide and I am using that as a parallel guide running against the glued planks, and I am marking on the plank I am going to cut to shape - therefore I am transferring the irregular shape of my last plank onto my new plank.

I obviously then remove from the hull the plank on which you have drawn the dotted lines.   Join the dots up and then carefully cut.

You should fine that the plank fits in to your last plank with no gaps and has brought your planking/veneering back to square.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »

LAST But not least the next photographs shows the 'spilling plank as its known' glued in place.  Hope this helps:

I noticed Orby1 that you are veneering with 15 mm wide veneers, I have found, in the past, that 15mm + wide veneers become very difficult to work with and you may encounter a lot of problems as you are now finding out.    The narrower the veneer, the less problems you may have  -  bit late saying this now you have battled 2/3 way through your hull  ;D

Aye

John E
BLUEBIRD

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:06 pm »

Once again John, you're coming to my aid with hints and tips that I really need!
I don't know where I'd be without the help of people on this forum and you're been one of the most helpful.  THANK YOU!!  ;)
I'm learning so many little tips as I go along with this thing, it's great.
My veneers are actually 25mm wide, not 15mm, so you'll imagine how much a pain in the back side they can be - they split, warp and crack.
I've got around the problem of tiny cracks in the veneers by staining some filler with mahogany woodstain, and just bunging it on!! ;D  I considered Madboatman's suggestion of filling the gaps with the edge of another strip of veneer and then sanding it flat - that would've looked very good, but the gaps were irregular length, and very thin, perhaps too thin.  I don't know how I managed to do it, but some were only about 1cm long, some were 5cm or even 7cm.  All of them were under 1mm.

Once again John, thank you so much for chipping in.  Keep the help coming!
All the best, Julian.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 08:06:11 am »

By using only ten mm wide strips for your planking you will find that there are a lot less gaps appearing as well as being easier to do..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.