Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Vernier Chat  (Read 6042 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Digital Vernier Chat
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 02:29:20 am »

My digital vernier came from Aldi about 7 years ago, cost A$20, and is still working well. Like Colin, I am a modelmaker not a model engineer, and my vernier is quite accurate enough for me. Having said that, my brother-in-law is a model engineer, and he frequently uses his Aldi vernier, which he purchased at the same time as me.

Peter.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Re: Digital Vernier
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:35 am »

Some thoughts/things spring to mind.

I have seen woodworkers fettle/adjust their tools and talk in the order of thou (Americans on youtube or TV).
They they build with wood. If it rains outside the table get bigger, and wood will marginally twist, cup, and bow, but by more than a few thou.

I have digital calipers, but usually only read them to the nearest 0.5mm. I just use it for quick sizing of hardware and components.

Imperial measurements are only used in the US as far as I am aware. What is the point of teaching European school kids about a system of measurements that they will never use. Except perhaps in a social history lesson.

Why teach high school students to read vernier scales, if it is unlikely that they will ever use them. Those who do go on to university to study engineering can learn it there, if the course designers perceive that the needs of graduate engineers includes it. It is better to fill the high school curriculum with things that are more relevant to today's world.

being of a certain age, I was taught both metric and imperial. large areas are done in fett, small in mm in my world.
for 30 years I worked in the print trade, using mm,grams,microns, picas ens, ems and quads etc.
After being made redundant last year, I retrained as a wind tunnel operator, having to learn barometric readings, measuring in ft/sec, bar, psi and believe it or not ft and inches, as a lot of equipment used is american!! so having to relearn all the threads for bolts again!! Fortunatly, my late father was a template maker at Vauxhall, and after he died I inherited all his tools. I never opened the tool boxes up after he died, but last year I did, in one box was a load of books that he used to use to teach the apprentices all about the different threads used in engineering in the 1950's to the early 70's. no mention of the metric system but a lovely big section on the american system which i now use, plus all the tools that i will ever need, including trig tables and 2 lovely slide rules, old vernier gauges ba/uncf spanners taps and dies, height gauges, french curves, protractors old berol markers(the really stinky ones you get high on!) engineers blue, modified cone drills etc. An alladins cave of tools and info.  Thanks Dad, never thought I would look at them again, let alone use them!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 09:56:27 am »

I use a dial caliper for general use. Its very easy to read and there is no battery to worry about.

I know that we all know what we are talking about here (and no one likes a smart Alec) but isn't digital vernier a contradiction in terms as no vernier scale is present?
Les

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 10:03:44 am »

:-)).....certainly Les........imagine if the proponent's of YES for an electronic digital display had to measure the most humble dimension & found the battery was flat  {-) {-) {-)............Derek......
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 03:46:07 pm »

strangely enough I just got my digimax digital vernier out to measure something, it is still on the original batteries and hasnt been used for at least a year (and yes it worked perfectly) and it at least 6-7 years old.
Grendel

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 01:49:44 am »

When doing my A levels 17 years ago now, if you used imperial units you were marked down or even failed. I learnt most things before school from my dad who obviously worked in imperial.

I'm now a design engineer for the nuclear, oil and gas sector and regularly use both metric and imperial. Nozzles and piping amongst many other things are still sized imperially. If I went into the workshop and asked for a 304.8mm flange I'd get a lot of blank looks, but a 12" flange anyone could get me.

For some drawing I will still use duel units but it's not very often unless the material comes in imperial but then we work to metric for machining.

As far as tolerances go it's often a nightmare , things fitted when warm but won't when cold. Some times in winter the QnA department will have components sitting on radiators waiting for them to heat up so they can pass them dimensionally.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.