Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell 1:144 US Navy Landing Ship Medium (LSM)  (Read 2695 times)

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Revell 1:144 US Navy Landing Ship Medium (LSM)
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:22:01 am »

This kit was apparently released late last year--so I missed out on it but I didn't see it discussed here either. Looks like a nice companion piece to the Revell Fletcher in the same scale. I guess we're in the Golden Age of amphibious warfare model kits and subject matter, which is nice as it is a neglected area for the most part. The more adventurous among us can easily convert this to RC as it is 443 mm in length or a bit over 17 inches... As for me, so many kits so little time.

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/ships/naval-ships/id/05123.html

~Harq

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
Re: Revell 1:144 US Navy Landing Ship Medium (LSM)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »

Interesting project motorising that. The full length welldeck won't leave much space for the motors but I suppose batteries and R/C gear could be stowed in the side tanks. Displacement might be a bit of a problem. Model weight about 11oz, if my maths is correct. Mmmmm........

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell 1:144 US Navy Landing Ship Medium (LSM)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »

That's just the thing; it can be done, very easily, as mini and micro components are now commonplace. Plus all the smaller, lightweight Lipo battery packs are readily available negating the need to rely on the older, heavier NiCad/NiMH packs.

When we have RC quadcopters (i.e., "drones") that fit in the palm of the hand, much larger projects like this are the proverbial piece of cake.

Looking at the manual which is available online, the well deck is suspended above the hull bottom by a decent margin that should provide space for the electronics. I would say this is a good candidate for hacked servo propulsion...
~Harq
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.