Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ready Build  (Read 44194 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Ready Build
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 08:44:18 pm »

Having a lathe does help it is true. It phases me much less than electrics {:-{
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 08:24:41 pm »

After drawing the pretty pictureds of my rudder components and spending six weeks away doing wargaming and holiday related activities, I got bits together and took some photos of the latest progress.

With the rudder made and soldered to the shaft, it was time to make the tiller.

to do this I required these parts and tools. One tool is missing and I will come to that later.

This image shows the main components including a second view of the boss. This is made of brass and the tiller arm of copper; cos I had it:O)

First I clamped the boss in the tool post on my little lathe* It just about sat right and I was satisfied that there was enough metal to drill and tap through. Indeed, its position was further down and this should give me plenty of room to wiggle an allen key around once in the boat.
I then drilled a pilot hole with a diddy center drill.

Once done the center drill was exchanged for a 1.6mm drill to drill the main shaft.

Once drilled, the boss was re-positioned so I could get at it with an M2 tap. This was hald in a three jaw chuck that usually fits in the tail stock. I did not have a tap spanner small enough so I had to 'Fink outside the box Guv'

It was at this point of minor jubilation that I went and got my allen key sets expecting to find a small enough key to start fitting the grub screw, but alas, I have not got one so I will be on t'internet for one. I think it is a 1mm size.

Finally for this session, here is a piccy of my old EW Lathe. It was bought second hand from a chap who in the end turned out to be a fine chap called Brian Parks. He was a first class model engineer and could turn his hand to anything. He put me onto lots of work and also showed me some good tips. I think the lathe is well over fifty years old even taking into account the probability that it is not a first production, thougn I saw an advert for one in the early fifties, so it might be sixty!

*I appreciate that not everyone has access to a lathe. All these processes can be done without one, using a bench vice and hand drills.

More soon!
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 07:54:54 pm »

The allen key is on order, and while this travels here by post, I got on with soldering the tiller parts together.

It took seconds to do and is quite a tidy job even if I say so myself!

The top image is of the parts just dry fit together before being soldered.

More soon:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 04:05:45 pm »

I conducted my first floating tests today in the bath.

With the same amount of ballast representing the gixmology and a little extra, HMS Ready floats slightly bow heavy. At this point I saw a little seepage from the stuffing boxes surrounding the tubes, so I took her out and will fill the exterior gaps with some Miliiput, add some more resin inside and then do another floating test.

I did not take any photos as she looks the same as she has for a while except she had a wet bum and some lead inside:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 07:30:54 pm »

Sounds like it's getting to an exciting point now.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 07:22:58 pm »

Float test 1.1.

Having filled the places I thought might let water in, I popped her in the bath again this evening and it still leaks a little.

I had a closer look around the sides of the stuffing boxes and the resin might be a little thin in places so I will attack it with more milliput tomorrow and see where that takes me. (Not to the  bottom of the bath I hope :O)

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 09:54:10 pm »

Float test 1.2

Almost there. I found a small amount of seepage around the starboard stuffing tube and cannot work out where this is leaking through as I have used a fair amount of putty to smooth in between the hull and the opening outside the hull. I will pop some more indise and see if this seals it.

If so, we are on for electrification and deck design.

Images soon.
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 03:28:59 pm »

Well float test 1.3 saw the leaks stopped, so now I can start dabbling in the dark arts safe in the knowledge that susbsequant float tests will not cause damage to 'leccy bits'.

Thar she floats!

That boat has had more baths than I have ok2

The leak issue was fixed with judicious use of Milliput around the epoxy and under the tubes bot inside and out.

I took a close up of the area where the tubes pass through the hull showing the putty, but I am not sure it works.

Lessons learnt: Make the boxes holding the resin bigger to encompass more of the tubes to give a better seal possibly just making one big box.
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 10:35:42 pm »

After a slight delay while oing float the tests and looking at electrical parts for her, I got back to some construction.

Thanks to Don (Paxton) in the R&D room who sent me some scans, I have found essential information concerning the shape and layout of the important superstructure details.

Firstly, the bridge is wrong. There were several versions of the basic shape that got bigger as time went on. Also there were Flotilla leader variants that I assume had bigger bridges.

I am rebuilding the bridge. I have modified the wheel house to suit and will harvest the dodgers from the old one ans sculpt new ones where needed

Behind the first funnel there is a pair of large boxes that seem to be inlets for the boiler room.

That is followed by the bandstand for the midships 4inch gun.

On the first batch built the bandstands were mounted onto the raised plinth covering the boiler and engine rooms, but subsequent classes had them raised to reduce wash and spray effecting the gunnery. I am tempted to make it an early version, but do fancy putting a Pom pom on, so I will have to raise it onto a box with stanchions around it.

This is followed by a smaller set of boxes, again deemed to be air intakes. Both sets will have hatches in the closed position.

I ordered some acrylic tube to turn into funnels. On these go the caps. I turned these on my lathe from Pro/Mod lab.

To celebrate the successful turning of what are quite thin pieces, I made myself a plate of Toad in the hole and mash with lots of Gravy:O)

Yay ok2

More to come soon....... Any comments welcome.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 10:42:32 pm »

Nice to see some superstructure being done, shows real progress now. Toad in the hole, nice :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 06:27:45 pm »

Having made the funnel caps, I started on the funnels themselves.

These are made from acrylic tube with a 3mm wall thickness allowing me to cut a shoulder in to slide the cap on securely.

I worked out the rake of the funnels, and using a quadrant, cut the three lengths needed to make the body of the funnel.

Then I unlearnt one of the basics in machining on the lathe by not supporting the end of the work being machined resulting in this monstrosity >>:-(

So, re-learning this, I cut another piece of tube luckily having not reset the quadrant in the mean time :-)) and made a piece that would hold the end of the tube but allow the shoulder to be machined at the same time.

Here is a tube and the support mounted.

Here they are ready for the next phase. The inside of the upper ends were chamferred to reduce their thickness.

The next job is to add a little band around each funnel where the stays would be attached. Some seemed not to have this, or had a less pronounced arrangement. The funnels were marked up and a strip of .25/.5mm plastic strip was glued around.

The ink has hidden these somewhat, so apologies:O/

There is a gap between the top of the outer casing and the cap on these funnels, and so to help locate and support the caps when fitted, I added four little .5x1mm blocks to each funnel on top of the shoulder.

Lastly, the caps were held in place and superglue was dabbed around the inside of the funnel.

Almost complete, these just need the pipes etc to finish them off. I will do this once the hull is ready to receive them

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 06:37:52 pm »

You sure are making good use of that lathe, nice work Ian, now can I have a photo of the Toad in the hole and lashings of gravy  %% %% {-) {-) yummy :-))

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »

Great job looking good.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 06:59:38 pm »

When Imageshack will deign to show me which photo is which, I will pop a up a dish:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 07:19:07 pm »

Ahem. ..... While not averse to said toad in the hole, that gravy looks awful thin in consistency ! Thick gravy, deep brown in colour, made with bistro powder, cabbage water and thickened with oxo cubes.
Ps sorry for high jacking the thread for gravy, but somethings are important.

Pmsl
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 07:52:54 pm »

Here we go Joe :-))

It wasn't as thick as I would have liked, but it did mix well with the mash, so I was not dissapointed:O)

Some things Klunk are always important and Gravy is one of them. The gravy was a Bisto mix using vegetable water for the goodness.

I only use Oxo as reinforcement if and when I have bought cheap gravy granules.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »

well thanks Ian, now I won't sleep tonight thinking of that yummy Yorkshire pud.  %% {-) {-) {-) {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2015, 03:59:22 pm »

It was better than the first one which was too stodgy:O( I like em crispy.

Apart from the Victory, what have you got on the bench or planned for this winter Joe?
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 05:35:38 pm »

Hi Ian, I've got a 1:48 Hunt class hull waiting to be started building it as HMS Brocklesby,  just thinking about getting all the ply for decks and superstructure and the running gear etc. Who knows Santa may bring some of it.  %) %)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2015, 05:36:39 pm »

Stew in a Yorkshire
Beef Stew with dumplings
Savoury spiced mince
Roast brisket with all the trimmings
And lots of other heart warming stodgy foods.
Again sorry!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »

Nice :O)

I have to add Bacon rolypoly pudding :O)

I recall you saying you were going to do Brocklesby, but that was a few months back when the winter was a long way hence!
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2015, 08:05:43 pm »

Steak & Kidlly pie at the Warwick show!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »

Mmm :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2015, 08:20:41 pm »

That's correct Ian, I thought I'd get the hull on order from Fleetscale as I had heard it can sometimes take a few months, but it was delivered in 6 weeks, I got the plans the same time, so I've been getting a few things done in the mean time (holidays etc.) {-) I have nothing else for this build yet I'm going to try and make what fittings I can so this build should be quite long. %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2015, 08:22:30 pm »

Yay, plenty of winter time reading and looking.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.