Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ready Build  (Read 44190 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Ready Build
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2018, 11:23:09 pm »

Ian.........do you have access to various size copper pre twisted cored wires?.....[after the aluminium shielding and plastic sheathing is removed]  .......that mast could be secured back down with stranded copper wire

Say 10 wires each of 0.010" roll a little more spiral tension......soft solder one end, apply a little more spiral tension & solder the opposite end

I have used the remains of [a borrowed] guided missile control systems wiring loom  %) for such work   :-X

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2018, 10:48:00 pm »

Funnily enough Derek, back in August, I found a horse hair snagged in the gate to the farm where my unit is (they are very horsey in my part of Somerset) and it looked just right for making rigging! I asked one of the women who parks their horse in and around the site if I could have some strands of tail hair when she next MOTs the thing and a few weeks later I got a bag full of folicles. So, I am going to try these first.

I was worried about copper filament after Marcus Rooks mentioned using it on his all metal Dreadnought (Model Boats January 2018) where he found it stretched unpleasantly. If it could be pre stressed so it kept enough tension to stay straight then I would consider it. The ability to solder it and bits to it might anneal the copper thus softening it again.

Thanks for the idea Derek  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:44 pm »

These 3 were about 50g each or there's about when completed, but had an enormous effect on stability (though I did have three and a bowsprit)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 12:47:41 pm »

It is something I need to watch, and hopefully some balast will keep 'Ready' stable. I am not comfortable with plastic masts etc because I know that I will probably snag a brass mast and have to bend it back to shape one day, whereas, a second hand tug I own I merely brushed the styrene mast and it snapped clean off just where it met the superstructure requiring repair.

Knowing how easy it is to destroy the masts on smaller scale static dislay models (Dennis has the right idea putting his in display cases!) I don't relish the thought of re-building a plastic one every couple of years.

I look forward to building larger models with more displacement and less top hamper proportionally  :-)

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2018, 06:01:46 pm »

Small update on the masts.

I added the 'eyes' that hold the signal lines and standing rigging for the halyards.

They are made from slices of brass tube flattened until the oval is as wide as the yard leaving enough room either side to form eyes. It isn't quite how they did it in real life but I think it is stronger than soldering lots of rings and smaller tubes together, and will do nicely for these initial build projects.

They are soldered on in two forms: Double eye, with an eye at the top for the standing rigging or cables to raise and lower the yards. And Single eye for the signal lines etc.

I used solder paste which just about did the job. There ne or two sightly wonky ones that I may attack with the gas torch to straighten.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:18 pm »

That will do nicely Ian, and as you say stronger than a 'u' shape bit of brass that would also be difficult to hold two close together and solder, well thought out mate, good stuff that paste init.

Joe. :-)) 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2018, 10:45:25 pm »

Re the paste, I think I was trying to do too much with it in some circumstances and so have gone back to normal solder until I am better at it which is coming. I got my small soldering iron to work now and it does well

I completed the fittings to the mast so they now have buttons on top and eyes to take lines to hold the yards up.

Also, I made a start on the last deck structure needed, and that is the bandstand for the aft search light.

Photos to come soon.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:28 am »

Yes I know what you mean Ian, the paste is great stuff but dose have it's limitations, it took me a while to know what it's best for and of course it dose have a limited shelf life which is a consideration given the price it is. keep up the good work mate.   :-))

Joe

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2018, 09:21:01 am »

Lovely to see an update, you are doing a fantastic job
Amerigo Vespucci -  Panart - 1/84
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66456.0.html

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2018, 09:30:12 am »

Can’t wait to see your pictures too! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2018, 12:55:57 pm »

For my rigging on sovereign, I actually drilled through the brass tube, seems to be evident only on the mizzen mast, I was not to bothered about to much rigging as it may have restricted the sails, Victory on the other hand will be rigged as the instructions, hopefully the sails will work (if I get back on it).
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2018, 08:07:20 pm »

A quick test.

Well, that worked! First attempt just disappeared  {:-{

Good, then let's continue.

The first image shows the three main components of the Search light bandstand. There is a cylindrical pillar (It might have been cruciform in real life, but I am not sure) the circular platform and the searchlight made from a Haynes search light, a piece of chemiwood and brass rod for the controls.

Then we go forward in time and see the stanchions fitted. I will wrap some .4mm wire around a former so that it will fit into the holes easier.

Finally for now, the three main components can be seen test fitted together. The platform has a flat filed into the edge which will take an access ladder. I could not see evidence in photos of where the ladder/ladders fit, but other deck structures on period vessels, and the pans I have of an M class suggest one or two fitted to the sides.

More soon!

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2018, 08:14:28 pm »

I forgot to take photos of the masts but will do so tomorrow.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »

Looking really good.  I will be following this with great interest, especially now you have photos to see your progress   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2018, 01:05:24 pm »

Just like London busses, a flurry of posts arrive about the Destroyer!

As promised, the masts are about ready for painting and fitting in the near future. I forgot to buy 2mm aluminium tube for the steam pipes to outfit the funnels, so that puts me back a week or two  :((

I added buttons and eyes to the top so I can rig the yards  and add aerial cables etc. Observing Warspite's point about rigging, Ready will only get basic stays. I like the look of yards outboard of the mast, and I am always worried about weakening the mast against the day when Mr Clumsy arms rubs across a mast. I think I could straighten a mast in situ, whereas a break might mean the mast has to be removed  %%

Anyhow, picture time!

Eyes were bent from brass wire in an '8' shape, placed on followed by the Buttons (Correct term? Or do I mean caps??) These were made from slices of 1.5mm I.D brass tube soldered on. I find a little fluxite helps stick the bloomin things in place until the solder has joined,
otherwise they can slide about annoyingly.

This was done on both Fore and Main masts.

Then this morning, I glued the stanchions in place on the bandstand and then rolled some .4mm brass rod around a former smaller in diameter than the ring of stanchions to try and counteract some of the spring. The former I used was actually too small and so some twist crept in which required some manual bending with fingers. It worked well enough.

The rings were then threaded through the eyes as you would on any ship making sure the ring was outboard of the stanchions as I did to prevent the rod from tugging at the stanchions as it went past. Filing the ends before threading would reduce this risk, but being careful as you go reduces risk further.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2018, 01:29:38 pm »

Very neat work on the bandstand Ian I bet the rails were fiddly to thread though.  :-))

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2018, 09:58:41 pm »

Hi Joe, they took a little work to get in the holes, but the wires was .01mm thinner than the holes, so it wasn't too bad.

Rolling the wire did mean that it had to conform to the circular shape albeit slightly larger, and it meant the railings were rounded rather than randomly curved. Mind you I assume they may have been cable, and so from above would look like a polygon, or if the rails were tube/bar, then they might have got damaged during action, and so not altogether perfect.

Anyhow, I have been working away and have got all the fittings painted, all the decks painted and black washed (Ooh, she's a filthy one  :o ) and I have started to drill holes for the stanchions. I will put some photos up this week, but she is charging ahead of my photography, so apologies if the pictures are less informative. 

I lied, I have the large davits to prime and paint  %)
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:41 pm »

An update on progress. Photos in order of narrative.

A few weeks back, I turned the platform for the midships 4inch gun. It was turned from a piece of acrylic with a styrene spacer to raise it to the right height. I made and cast some 4 inch shells and these will be mounted around the inside.

Test fitting of 4 inch gun.

The funnels finally got their details including steam pipes, whistles and ladders. The flairs were also adjusted and fitted to the superstructures.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:59 pm »

Nice detail work going on.  I love the funnels  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »

She coming along very nicely Ian.
Regards David

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2018, 11:57:21 am »

You are doing an amazing job transforming this old hull. If I am not mistaken the hull was the old Lindberg "Melvin" Fletcher class destroyer. I built my first many,, many years ago. It was my first rc boat model. The kit came with a single drive motor spinning two shafts. I put in two motors and found it to be "a tad over scale speed". It did not plane, but she took water over the stern. One word of caution I would add is to watch your top hamper weight. She will be tender. I also think your 3 screws will be more than sufficient.Great job!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2018, 07:35:17 pm »

She is as fast as my granny at the moment (or was the last time I ran her) but this may be because she is bow heavy and maybe the battery wasn't fully charged. I burnt my mixer out last year due to wiring it in wrongly, so maybe the speed controller got slightly frazzled as well?

You are right Akira, the hull was a Lindburgh product bought for a few pounds off Ebay with nothing of the superstructure or innards. Had I not cut out a section because of the cracks caused by poor packing, the hull would have been spot on for length.

A few more images.

I soldered pins to the ladders to help mount them onto the deck and then bent them to shape.

The decks have been painted ready for varnish and the fittings and superstructure elements.

Nearly there......
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2018, 09:24:15 pm »

Good bit of progress Ian, the funnels look very authentic, I've been away for a week staying with in laws at Corsley on the edge of the Longleat Estate, so I've just caught up, had a stroll though Warminster Park last Sunday, great sailing venue, a couple of Tugs and a yacht or two on the water and a big strange yellow thing in the sky  %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2018, 10:01:11 pm »

Was the big yellow thing one of those hot air balloons Joe? Yes Warminster have lovely water to sail on and am glad you saw someone sailing on it. If you are ever in the Crewkerne/Yeovil area then do say, I'll sport you a coffee and maybe a bun  :}

I did Ready's final ballast test this evening prior to putting the last few bits on and she's too heavy up top :(( I think I will complete her as a static display model and then concentrate on the Monitor, Rupert and Novgorod. She's looking pretty though!
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2018, 10:44:41 pm »

Hi Ian  that's a shame about being top heavy, have you any scope on the free board to raise the water line a bit and add a dummy keel, that's what I did on Coventry in the form of an extra sonar fashioned out of lead, mind you Brocklesby is turning into a shelf queen, must get around to wetting her bottom again.  :-))

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.