Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: starspan sanding sealer  (Read 2606 times)

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Creativity is contagious, pass it on.
starspan sanding sealer
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »

Hi folk,

Does anyone know who stocks Starspan products?  Starspan does not accept plastic only cash and checks and they don't list outlets.

Regards Glyn

inertia

Re: starspan sanding sealer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:46:07 am »

I'm pretty sure that Starspan is run under the business umbrella operated by this Mayhem member StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar
Why not send him a Private Message? In the meantime J Perkins produce a sanding sealer under their Hi Grade label. I've used it for years and it's good stuff. You will, however, need to obtain it locally as our wonderful Royal Mail service have decided that they won't allow it to be sent via their network.
DM

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »

Hi Inertia,

Thanks for the info.  I was looking for a sanding sealer that had some shinking action on tissue and hardend clear.  I will look into your suggestion.

Thanks and Regards Glyn

inertia

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »

Glyn
If your prime purpose is shrinking tissue and obtaining a clear finish then you really need clear dope. If you are using the cellulose to apply tissue to a sheet balsa or ply surface then it makes little difference which you use.
Dave M

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »

As above but add a little talc from the test tank facility shelf to your shrinking dope and you have solved the problem. Sand away from the Boss as she will recognise the "Evening in Paris" dust as a non-standard model shop item.  My aeromodelling taught me to apply the tissue damp with cellulose shrinking dope. Two coats at least, thinned 50/50. The talc kills the gloss so use straight clear dope or a non shrinking dope  called "Banana Oil"  , don't ask me why it is so named, smells like acid drops.  I think we can all dope expect a call from the Drug Squad :police: :o :police:
..well can you land on this?

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:54:18 pm »

Dave,

I guess that I was carried away by the starspan add that said that starspan sealer dried clear not brown as most sealers do.    I bought a tin of Perkins sanding sealer and will now retire to the shed so as not to upset her who must be obeyed.

Regards Glyn

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »

Hi arrow5,

Thanks for your amusing input,  over the last 50 years I have become adept at dealing with house hold Politics.

Seriously though, my Lady has joined the local boat club with me and takes an interest in the goings on,  as long as it does not smell like resin going off.

Regards Glyn

inertia

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 05:06:32 pm »

Glyn
Add at least 20% thinners or it will drag as you apply it. Several thin coats are much better than one thick one; they dry faster and rub down easier. BTW don't pay the crazy prices for those silly little cans of cellulose thinners that the model shops sell. You can get a 5L can from any car paint supplier for about a tenner (standard thinners is the stuff to ask for). It'll last years!

Arrow
I never did find out why it is called banana oil either, but that stuff really did dry yellow. Maybe that was the reason..........
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.