Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squires of Bognor Regis  (Read 4365 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Squires of Bognor Regis
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:59:05 pm »

As many people in the Sussex area will know, the Squires tool supplies shop in Bognor Regis closed a while back although the company itself continued as a somewhat reduced mail order business. On idly browsing the web last night I took it into my head for no good reason to do a search on Squires which indicated that the shop was again open. As Mrs B and I were due to go down to Littlehampton for lunch today, we went on to Bognor afterwards and found that Squires was indeed open with almost all the usual goodies and clearly more to come as they were busy setting up further display space. As Mrs B had just spent quite a lot on the way down in a garden centre outside Worthing she had no objection to me having a splurge in Squires which included a nice pot of solder paint for £10.99 plus various glues, spare knife blades etc. before I was forcibly dragged away!

I don't know how long the shop has been open but I don't think very long as the lady on the till seemed to be very pleased with my custom and hoped we would call again, my attempts to suggest tomorrow at 9am have been rebuffed by Mrs B.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Squires of Bognor Regis
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:48 pm »

I have missed them at the shows these past few years.  They used to have a huge stand at Warwick which was always very well attended.

Do you think they will come back?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:25:36 pm »

There is a list of shows they will be attending on their website: http://www.squirestools.com/maintenance.html which includes the Northern Model Boat Show at Doncaster.

Apart from this, Most of the shows seem to be relatively smaller ones so perhaps they are not finding the bigger shows economic to attend at the moment. A stand at one of the larger shows can be very expensive!

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

They also tended to favour Model Railway shows - even travelling to Scotland for those.

Barrie

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 07:40:22 pm »

They had a big stall at the IPMS show in November.

LB

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:48:40 pm »

As an ex Bognorite and customer of their shop since it opened in 99' (If I recall correctly), I can confirm Squires intention to come back all guns blazing.

His main interest does seem to stem from model railways, but as many of you know, he has an enviable range of tools and materials for many overlapping interests. The shop was closed for a while and the rumours as to if, how and in what form Squires would return were as diverse as the people who passed them on.

Basically, finances were put under strain by personal issues and this led to entrenchment for a couple of years along with an increase in attendance at small shows to generate income and keep the flag flying. The once large shop was likewise reduced in size but is now being expanded, and when I was last in, I heard one or two conversations concerning stock purchases, so this sounds healthy to me.

So, if you are in town or passing near by then do not fail to pop down into Sunny* Bognor, park in William Street (free:O) and walk up, turn right and cross the road and pop in. Every week I am sure it will become less Aladdin's cave and more Emporium.

*Statistically 'Boggy' is the sunniest place in Britain as mentioned on a plaque just west of the pier.
Pond weed is your enemy

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:55:05 am »

Thy were at York Model rail show at Easter  just as big as always ,I asked abouts there web site and he said it would defiantly be coming back when all the problems with the web company were resolved .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:17 pm »

Called in at Squires today en route elsewhere. They are still revamping the shop but do seem to have a lot of new stock. Unfortunately I was accompanied by Mrs B so was only able to browse for 10 minutes or so instead of the hour I would have preferred.

They have a leaflet from which it appears that they are supporting quite a lot of shows up and down the country.

If you can visit the shop or attend one of the shows then it's a feast for the eyes and a blow in the wallet but the updated catalogue isn't available on the website yet for mail order purchasers.

I shall go down by myself sometime in the near future for a good look around.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:28:49 pm »

It used to be a twenty minute walk from my home and I have patronised Squires since they opened their shop in the late ninties/early naughties?

I agree with Colin, it is superb, and while definitly a work in progress, they are helpful and will order in what they have not got in stock. If looking for something specific and planning tomake a visit, it would be worth your while phoning a week before just to check they have it in stock as it is a mecca and I am sure even the best manager cannot always guarantee 100%stock.

I buy my Plastruct rods from them routinely and never fail to pop in when visiting the family for some supplies.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:55 pm »

OK, then.....& Ian says... 'never fail to pop in when visiting the family for some supplies'  :o...so what sort of supplies do your relos sell?.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:40 pm »

Usually copius quanities of tea, meals and the odd beer of an evening:O)

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.