Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You Had Me at Hello  (Read 3508 times)

Overdone54

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
You Had Me at Hello
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:16:18 pm »

Hello,
My first post with a real Newbie question.  I have decided to build the
Chris-Craft Barrel Back Mahogany Runabout 1940 as my first model. I say first, I got part way through a trawler 20 years ago but had niether the time nor patience to complete. Now I have a Dad only shed to build in it is time for a serious build.  I want to make it R/C and would be grateful for a list of kit I will need to make this happen. Thank you

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: You Had Me at Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:34:32 pm »

Welcome aboard
The suggested Dumas Running kit is a bit dated, depending on your confidence I would suggest a Brushless motor setup which should give you good runtimes and more than enough speed to keep you happy.
There is a very good build log on here from someone building a similar kit
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46157.0.html
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:50:43 pm »

I guess you mean tools rather than running gear?  If so, here's what I suggest (as I am the builder of the build quoted above, which I must get around to finishing off very soon!).  Not all are absolutely essential, but they will certainly come in useful -

Fairly obviously - rulers (including a metre one), pencils and paper to scribble down notes to yourself
Craft knives - several, of different sizes (small scalpel (Swann Morton) to Stanley knife).  Lots of blades!
Razor saw.  Personally I'd go for a small fine tooth Japanese saw rather than the hobby ones, which I find bind a lot in the cut, even in balsa.
Small plane - a good block plane will do but if you can find some instrument makers tools they are better (and more expensive!)
Normal woodworker's chisels
Sticking plasters - oh yes, lots of those if you are as clumsy as me.  I find the blue ones caterers use stay put better than your normal pink or clear variety.
Cork or rubber blocks for sanding, plus some pieces of thin plywood to make sanding boards (and spray-on adhesive to stick the paper to the ply) and lots of abrasive paper, mostly 80 grit when building but much finer wet and dry when you are producing that lovely finish
More superglue than you ever think you will need, and a bottle of accelerator
A good woodworker's glue for those joints where you need time to get it together properly and can wait for the glue to set (I use Titebond)
Small clamps - wooden clothes pegs with their ends sanded down to a pincer shape work well.
Small and medium squares - I find engineer's squares better value and sometimes more accurate than the woodworker's variety.
I found digital vernier calipers useful at times
More abrasive paper
Even more superglue
Mahogany filler! You'll need it
Plus whatever I've forgotten!

When the time comes, a coating epoxy and some epoxy thinners (and fine glass cloth if you want to go the whole hog)

I would try and go for "proper" tools rather than hobby shop stuff when you can (somewhere like Axminster Tools has a good range) because not only are they better quality but you can use them for those domestic jobs as well.  They do cost a bit more but should last forever.
If you don't have them, some waterstones to sharpen your tools.  A keen edge is essential when working on small, fragile pieces of wood or you will simply break or splinter them.
Oh, and a good building board to keep things square and true - I used 18mm MDF.
My biggest tip is to spend all the time it takes to make your frame fair and symmetrical before planking.  If it looks odd, fix it, don't assume it will all come out in the wash.  It won't, and once the planks are on fixing a dip or bulge is much more difficult, and potentially visible.

Happy to answer any queries, or PM me if you want.

Good luck - enjoy your build  :-)) :-))

Greg

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:06:29 am »

One thing you forgot

Superglue debonder lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:03:58 am »

There's a thread on another Forum which shows a suitable radio installation in a similar-ish model (if that's what you wanted). http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=106155
In addition you will need a charger for the battery packs and some rechargeable batteries for the transmitter (or you could use alkaline batteries at a pinch).
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:16:11 am »

The 2015 Special Issue of Model Boats which goes on sale next week http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=106008&p=1 has a comprehensive 8 page article on putting together a set of tools for boat modelling and how to use them. It is written by Richard Simpson who contributes the Steam articles for Model Boats.

Colin

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:56:46 am »

Include a blunt spanner. Something to throw at the dog when the cyano grips just before you wanted it to.
Bintur Ellenbach

Overdone54

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 07:22:19 pm »

Thank you all very much for the flood of info. All noted and of great assistance. This build is going to be a considered and relaxed affair so I will have plenty of time to make all the right prep.
My original and less than clear question referred to the components needed for kitting out a static model as a Remote Control craft and more specifically for this particular type of model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.