Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptops and coffee don't mix!  (Read 1916 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Laptops and coffee don't mix!
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:25:03 am »

Six weeks ago before we headed back to the UK I spilled a full mug of coffee over my laptop. The result was not many of the keys would work (not many posts from me in that time :embarrassed: ) Getting back to the UK I bought a bluetooth keyboard and was back in business (yippee  :-)) )

Two weeks ago I knocked the puter off the sofa arm (stupid place to rest it %% ) and damaged the hinge corner so the lid wouldn't close properly, a bit wonky but it was useable still)

On wednesday sat at the kitchen table and I decide to inspect said corner more closely. Over went another cup of coffee and yes you guessed, the laptop and the new keyboard got a lovely soaking {:-{ Giving up on attempting to get them to work meant a trip to PCWorld and £350 lighter wallet :(( Still I do have a shiny new laptop now :-))

Bad thing is it has windows 8.1 installed- what a sack of s--t it is for an operating system, whoever came up with it needs shooting. Don't these idiots know we want a computer to work like a computer and not a bloody mobile phone? >>:-(

Anyway today is the big day- I'm going to download windows 10 and hopefully peace and sanity will return- who wants 'apps' popping up everytime you want to do something? Even worse, several times I've been on my web browser, clicked a link or whatever then the puter takes over and closes everything down and replaces it with what it thinks I should be using! Off goes the web browser and a you tube channel and any other open tabs, and the puter replaces it with a 'media player' not good! <*<

So long winded rant I know, but In another topic with CarlMT l have put off sending him a file by email, reason is this win 8.1 won't let me install my Photoshop edition from my portable drive! neither will it let me install several other programs I keep backed up on a portable drive. It seems I will have to wait and use the original disks.

MORAL OF THE STORY?----DON'T GET WINDOWS 8 OR 8.1 AS AN O.S! and make sure your morning coffee is nowhere near the laptop O0

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Laptops and coffee don't mix!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:31 am »

Brian

Sorry to disagree, but if you set up Windows 8.1 correctly, it is very little different to Windows 7. I never use the tiles on the mobile phone style interface. Mine boots into a Windows 7 style screen just as I like. Can't comment on it closing browsers - doesn't happen to me, but I do use Chrome not Internet Explorer.
Windows 8 was a disaster, 8.1 restored sanity and a decent operating system if set up correctly.
However, I am hoping Windows 10 will be even better, but will wait for its official release.

Barrie

Ps Its usually possible to buy replacement keyboards for laptops very reasonably.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:25:12 am »

Looking at the developer preview of Windows 10 it certainly looks quite impressive.
I too am not a big fan of Windows 8 or 8.1 however my wife and my mum on the other hand think its fantastic!.  In order to fully appreciate the Windows 8 Metro environment you do really need a touch screen.
Windows 10 seems to have taken the best bits of 8.1 and the best of W7 and made a very competent looking OS. giving you the freedom to easily set things how you want them.  (This will however make things a nightmare for us support guys).  It does as this early stage look as tho MS has actually listened to customer feedback  :o

Personally I use the Mac OS for most things, but I do have bootcamp so I can run windows and play games or run software not available on OSX.

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:29:32 am »

The way around this problem is to register yourself at PC World as a business user after which you can have any OS you want installed on the PC/laptop at no extra cost.

LB

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:04:56 pm »

Brian

Sorry to disagree, but if you set up Windows 8.1 correctly, it is very little different to Windows 7. I never use the tiles on the mobile phone style interface. Mine boots into a Windows 7 style screen just as I like. Can't comment on it closing browsers - doesn't happen to me, but I do use Chrome not Internet Explorer.
Windows 8 was a disaster, 8.1 restored sanity and a decent operating system if set up correctly.
However, I am hoping Windows 10 will be even better, but will wait for its official release.

Barrie

:-)) :-)) :-))

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 03:49:06 pm »

I'm still using XP  :embarrassed: on both of my machines and not planning to change any time soon :P

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 05:39:02 pm »

same as above, using the 10 preview, think they finally got the mix between 7 and 8.1 right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.356 seconds with 22 queries.