Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Insurance???  (Read 1592 times)

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
Replacement Insurance???
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:56 am »

Does anyone have insurance that covers there boat for accidental damage , total loss ???

I only ask because my friend crashed his DJI Inspire into a tree this evening , then when the battery reached critical level the landing gear extended loosening from said tree where it landed in a fast moving river.

I know its not a boat but I've got one of these drones as well and have public liability insurance but would really like to have some insurance to cover its replacement £2500 replacement value, hes talking about not going on holiday next year as he needs to replace it for his work.

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Replacement Insurance???
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:25:34 am »

i would have thought if its for his work it would be covered under his company insurance.
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:50:15 am »

No unfourtunatly not, he has yet to get his licence and as such can't legally do any comercial work. I have suggested he tries to claim under his home insurace or his other business insurance.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:12:33 pm »

With my old home insurance, items about a certain value had to be listed separately and then extra cover was provided under the policy. However, some items could not be covered. I suggest contacting the insurer in the first instance.
I have just googled 'drone insurance UK' and there appears to be several insurers, and several discussion boards.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:43:00 pm »

Sounds harsh but if you need something for work (where I assume it would be covered) don't use it for play, or in this case if you might need it for work in future don't use it in a situation where it can be lost and is not covered.

I doubt house insurance would cover it as the single item limit is usually around a grand (least mine always has been) .

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, to get his licence he needs flight hours but until he has his licence he can't be doing it commercially.

I certainly wouldn't have put my drone into that situation but then I have 15 years RC experience.

Spent an hour this afternoon walking up and down the river trying to see if it had washed up somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.