Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SEABEX ONE scratch build  (Read 125843 times)

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SEABEX ONE scratch build
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2015, 12:15:51 pm »

Fantastic work there Kenny.
I do love tackling a little project like that. My failing is getting the quality paint finish on all the 'inside' parts, once it's complete.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2015, 03:05:06 pm »

And there Kenny you have hit the nail on the head. We like to build to scale but sometimes we just have to get close because of strength limitations.

Your boom which looks good as it is, would in reality have to be constructed from plasticard of 0.17mm, that is, 1/10th of a mm to be the thickness of plate steel (1/2inch) :embarrassed: I have some plasticard of this thickness and it is like tissue paper, you could read a newspaper through it, absolutely no use for an item like your boom.

For my handrails (still to be started) I bought a coil of 0.4mm brass wire, pull it tight and it will straighten out for use. Trouble is, it may be just about scale but is so fine it could be damaged by the slightest knock.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2015, 04:49:57 pm »

Thanks for the comments chaps.    :-))

Today I started on the base unit for the crane.  What a lot of thinking ........ my head hurts.  I now have the boom pivoted and started on securing it to the main cab and pivot.  Lots to think about with 3 motors needed and fixing in the right place after, working out the logistics.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2015, 05:22:22 pm »

I have re-designed the swing control cab for the crane. I needed two bearing points to stop the wobble from side to side.  Also a floor was added to stop the crane sliding down the post.  (there's more to this than it looks..........my head hurts)   {-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:15 pm »

The crane pillar was a bit oversize so we had to fit a thinner tube. This involved rebuilding the cabin with smaller pivot holes.   %)

The rear water hose support is now awaiting some water cannons and subsequent hose pipe connecting.    %)

The deck is now ready for some floor grating.  it looks like match sticks will do the job perfectly as I've marked out where they will go.

The Schottles were fitted into tubes for the rear section, but the tops appear to be below the water lines    ??!!      How am I going to keep it from flooding.  The problem will be magnified with the bow section as they are deeper down in the hull,  I do not have them as yet but will need some on longer tubes. I have to give this some more thought.   %)

Here's some pictures so far.   

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2015, 08:41:04 pm »

The crane pillar was a bit oversize so we had to fit a thinner tube. This involved rebuilding the cabin with smaller pivot holes.   %)

The rear water hose support is now awaiting some water cannons and subsequent hose pipe connecting.    %)

The deck is now ready for some floor grating.  it looks like match sticks will do the job perfectly as I've marked out where they will go.

The Schottles were fitted into tubes for the rear section, but the tops appear to be below the water lines    ??!!      How am I going to keep it from flooding.  The problem will be magnified with the bow section as they are deeper down in the hull,  I do not have them as yet but will need some on longer tubes. I have to give this some more thought.   %)

Here's some pictures so far.

Hi ken
On Graupners model the rear thruster are only just under the water ,but were they join the top gear .that is above the water line. For the front they use extension legs and these run in tubes whos top is above the water line. Good luck on finding thoes extension tubes

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »

That was quick John.  Thank you for the advice.  The extension tubes are 49  Pounds each and two more Schottles are 79 pound each.  Fire hoses are 12 pounds each  (4 needed) along with a pump.

I am thinking of scratch building my own.  How hard can it be.    {-)  I suppose I shouldn't have told my good lady what's in store to get this project to the water. Severe restrictions on expenditure these days. I may have to sell some boats and Tamiya trucks.   :o

Cheers

ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12:33 pm »

HI Ken
just taken some photo. hope they are of help to you.
In the rear ther is a short tube shaped like a top hat with the top cut off. on to this sits the thruster top gear/motor bracket . at the bottom of this is a blow whos ID is bigger that the bottom O/D of the top hat ,so with gule a seal is formed. The top of the top hat tube is ABOVE the water line.
As for the front due to the way these thrusters are made I think you will have to bit the cost and buy the extension tubes .If you need any more photos or questions just ask.

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2015, 09:23:39 pm »

Thanks John.  Excellent pictures.

I am pleased to note that I may be just on or above the water line at the rear.  I have located the tubes into a raised section of timber  (see pic) which was governed by the length of the schottle barrels so they come out at the same height as yours. I will have to get the extension tubes for the front pair, as making a longer schottle could prove a problem to far.    %)

ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2015, 09:33:13 pm »

Hi Ken
On the rear drives the first part of down shaft from the top gear does not spin or rotate .so if that is sealed to your wood then you should be ok .The Extension arms have unique clips that lock in to the thruster . I would be a night mare to try and make your own .It a real pain paying nearly 100 pound for 2 small pathetic extension arms ,but that the way it is .

john 

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »

lady luck like you . shame its only one but hay thats 50% of the way there
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schottelantrieb-/151692096085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item23518db255

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2015, 09:44:19 pm »

A second option . Contact the seller in Germany . He may post to the Uk or you could go out and get it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121660060231?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:47 pm »

All good info, even though I can't understand it.    {-)

Thanks so far.  keep em coming

ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2015, 10:02:20 pm »

Hi Ken
both seller will not post out side Germany . I buy a lot from Ebay.DE and get sellers that will not post to the Uk. I quick email in German normally helps and they will post to the Uk. The thruster on it own sale will take pay pal and it is described as Used . The ship seller will do a bank transfer . looking at the model not to sure what is happing with the moon pool .

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2015, 10:08:44 pm »

How do you activate the language translator in windows 7 please.  I used to have one with the old system.

I shall not bother with the German offers, thanks all the same.

ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2015, 10:11:16 pm »

dont know I use Google translate .cut and paste

john

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2015, 09:08:02 am »

How do you activate the language translator in windows 7 please.  I used to have one with the old system.

ken

If you use the Chrome browser it should offer to translate the German for you.

Barrie

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2015, 10:21:58 am »

Thanks Barrie, but I don't have or want Chrome.  According to checking, there is a language converter called Bing, supposed to be on here at the moment but I cannot figure how to wake it up.   %)

cheers

ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2015, 12:23:42 pm »

Ken you don't need chrome.

All you need to do is copy and paste your foreign language url into google search. Once you hit enter the the search list conveniently offers a translate facility alongside each address. Click that and the whole page is automatically translated for you. This works for any browser because you are doing it through google search.

I hope that is clear?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2015, 09:18:10 pm »

Excellent, Brian.     :-))

Wot a helpful bunch on here.

Cheers

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2015, 09:25:47 pm »

The prices of stanchions being so high and me needing over 100, today I started making my own.

These were made from 2mm brass tube which was cut to size and drilled with three holes.  I made a jig to hold them which was pre-drilled with a 0.7mm drill and only snapped my only 3 drills for the first hundred.  I left this task and went over to making the radio masts to fit above the cabin.

These are made from assorted sizes of brass tubing and I've started solder welding them into place.  Not quite finished yet but here's some pictures to show how far I am.  This was great fun with a welding torch knowing my aptitude for self harm. The burn should heal pretty quick as I'm adept at healing these days.   %)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:56 am »

My wife being such a follower of all things cookery on the tv bought one of those gas blowlamps the top chefs use.

It comes in handy for soldering work %) %) Push the button and it self ignites, let go the button and it turn off! Its great for these soldering jobs where you just need a waft of heat and then touch with solder. My technique is to  get everything positioned, hold the blowlamp close in one hand, the solder in the other. Push the button couple of seconds of heat, let the button go and touch with solder, it flows into the joint by itself, all done!

For major soldering (silver soldering) the big blowlamp comes out of the toolroom though.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:36 am »

Yes Brian.  They are nice to use. The self ignition came in handy to save leaving it running.  Very important to sand the joints first and watch it flow.

To get it started I drilled a board and set the uprights nice and square. This also helped them to stay in position whilst heating took place.

ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2015, 11:20:37 am »

Its better to use a piece of steel wool rather than sandpaper Ken or a scotch pad, you get a better clean to the surface. Also if things get tough where the solder just doesn't want to stick (been there!) a touch of plumbers flux applied with a toothpick or a brush with Bakers fluid always helps.

I did mention in my build recently about running out of uk sourced solder. I bought a roll of solder from the local chinese sell everything shop, it caught fire {-) No kidding apply the heat to the brass, touch with solder and whoosh flames like a sparkler, the flux core was burning. I've tried it with my soldering iron and the stuff just forms balls and won't even coat electric wire!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2015, 08:06:02 pm »

have you a picture of the jig you used to drill the stanchions please ken. :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.