Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SEABEX ONE scratch build  (Read 125845 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SEABEX ONE scratch build
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:47 am »

Quote from Brian
Anyway I was on a German site and came across this link to the Seabex crane......

It looks like I wasn't far out.     {-)

I appreciate the details Brian.  I shall add a few of these of these myself as it makes it look more interesting.

Wired up the AcTion P 94 the wrong way around and had the  'blue smoke'  yesterday.  Spent the rest of the day crying and fault tracing.  I now have one motor going forward and reverse Ok but the other motor going forward and then faster forward.  The reversing relay has welded shut and probably damaged the controls system and chip.  Didn't sleep well at all.  It looks like a 'return to base' job.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2015, 11:11:36 am »

Wired up the AcTion P 94 the wrong way around and had the  'blue smoke'  yesterday.  Spent the rest of the day crying and fault tracing. 

Ouch, I feel your pain!

.... if you boil it in old oil, will that put the blue smoke back in it?  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2015, 11:18:07 am »

I'm stood in the corner waiting for the headmaster to come over and have a word.  <:(

ken

Stavros

« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2015, 11:31:23 am »

All Milbs will say Ken is simple really...DARNED WELSH ELECTRICITY AGAIN

Been there had the tee shirt

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2015, 11:43:57 am »

Hiya dave,
                  I'll go along with that.  I always connect up to half the voltage for the first connection test so luckily it was only 6 volts that went backward up the motor output leads.   %)

My fear is the  'Pic'  chip didn't like it. Good morning Mr Milbourn

cheers

ken

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2015, 09:48:15 am »

I would guess that the welded relay contacts are a hopeful sign that the protection diode did its job and protected the rest of the circuit.  A pity about the contacts being the remaining weak link, but as a workmate said to me many years ago when I did something similar with a test lead plugged into a battery rather than an earth bus, "Welding rods are cheaper you know".
Using hindsight, a fuse in the battery lead..............
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2015, 10:06:46 am »

Hi Malcolm.

The whole weekend was spent analysing and desoldering.  I've given up on it now as the fault was traced all the way back to the  Pic chip.  I have access to the spares but the spirit is weak.   %)    must move on.

ken

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2015, 07:52:45 pm »

Ouch, that is a painful way to spend seventy odd pounds Ken <:( <:( Note to self, be very careful when plugging stuff into mine, I am a P94 Virgin :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:43 pm »

Yes indeed.

Removed the P94 and installed two P98 single speed controllers. Wired up and tested working fine.    Happy bunny.  Found the motors  buzz on initial start with R/C toggles but covered up when they start rotating  ?    Noises covered by the whirl of the motors so acceptable when at sea.  Those schottles sure are noisy beasts.   %)

Having a lie down in a darkened room and planning the cranes movements next...................... What could possibly go wrong.   

Pictures coming later of rig so far.

ken

inertia

« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2015, 11:11:04 pm »

Most unlikely to be the microprocessor, but Uncle Dave will have a look and mend the poor wee thing. Accidents will happen; it's not always Welsh Water (except whenever Stavros is involved..............  :o ).

DM

Stavros

« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »

HA HA DM....welsh water is NOT good for the Amber Nectar of the gods

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2015, 10:15:30 pm »

The Schottle drives have been connected up by linking the twin steering together via one servo. It's lovely to see them acting together and the sweep is almost 90 degrees.

I have wired in the Speed controllers and the motors tested Ok.  Only the bow motors to work out now.  The plan is to scratch build one powerful version.  I wonder how long this will take.   %)

The self damaged P98 SEC is on it's way back for repair and will be swopped back into the Seabex so that I can use the existing ones for crane duties.   Here are the latest pictures, as promised.

Cheers

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2015, 03:52:22 am »

wonderful job. looking good.
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2015, 05:19:04 am »

Hullo Ken......not sure if we had seen the Schottle drives in an earlier posting in this thread..... but they look good.....so just a few questions

1. what size motors are installed?
2. what is the gear reduction...2.5:1? [just guessing by the diameters ;) ]
3. I suppose I am asking the final propeller RPM  O0
4. what is the inclusion of the Z in the control arm for   :o

Derek...in the soggy wet/flooded  Illawarra   :P
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2015, 08:20:30 am »

The schottel drives are from the German company Marx Derek, don't ask me how I know %) I can't find any details about them but Westbourne Models still advertise them as available, funny because as far as I know they haven't been made for years ok2

Ken and all that are interested. Before you progress any further take a look at this guys set up, There are 5 videos and you can access the rest from the side bar, but this one shows how the crane works and how he has the drives set up to work, its very informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1JgxDFgPw

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2015, 10:26:14 am »

Morning all, thanks for the comments.  Yes Brian, I have the set of films as a guide and often refer back to them for all my details.  It's sort of  'my Bible'  but a pity my computer doesn't transfer his spoken language over to English.  tehe.   I'm still fighting paying all that money for the two more required for the bow and hope to make my own.  The plan is to only have one up the front end which will I will construct and be a sturdier design made of metal with a larger prop for plenty of pulling power.

Hi Derek.  In answer to your kwestions.    %)

1:    The motors are special slow running 500 size and were chosen for their quietness and slower than usual rotational speed.    These were chosen after reading other folks write up's on the destruction power through the plastic bevel gear system.   :o   They are both wired in series on the 12 volt line to make them run even slower.  If it proves  'too slow'  then I can easily wire them back in parallel.

2:    You may be right about the reduction gears.  I will count the teeth and let you know.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a welcome feature.

3:    I have no way of knowing the rotation, but the 'props' do hum around at a modest speed.  My original intention was to 'dance around'  the lake in graceful pirouettes and tight circles, just to prove it could turn on a sixpence.  All nice and sedately when compared to the gut pulling tug under strain, or the captain wanting to go water surfing.

4:   The  'Z'  arm is only there because the threads on the adjusting arm cannot be drawn in any closer. It will eventually be a straight bar with just one thread for adjustment, but at the moment it's  'lashed up'  quickly, as I wanted to test it working.

As an addenda, you may notice the neoplastic tubes fitted in the drive shafts for quieter and vibration free running.  I shall soon be ready to float test her.    8)

Cheers for now.  back down the shed.

ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:13 am »

Ken just how complicated do you want to get?

I ask because you will have the ideal set up for a real dynamic positioning system once its finished! :-))   All you need is to connect the motors through something like an arduino board with a gps add on system. There are plenty of programs out there so you don't need to learn the 'language' just download it to the arduino.

That would be really showing off now! Sail out to the centre of the pond and leave the boat to control its own positioning, it would hold station without any imput. Think how you could amaze other boaters, sail up to the pier and standoff about a metre while you turn your back and go for a cuppa :}

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2015, 10:45:56 am »

Mornin Bri ...............

I have just finished reading about Arduino and although I've done computer programming in the past, I felt it was too much for this  'ol brain'    {-)

The plan is to manually control the beast in unusual driving positions that you would not normally expect a model boat to do.  Diagonal pirouettes and that sort of thing.  (maybe to music at meetings !!   tehe )

I'd better do a float test soon as it's getting heavier.   :o

ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2015, 11:31:51 am »

I have an arduino, my son bought if for me last xmas as I wanted to do allsorts with it on my build. Then asking for help on another site I was sent a Picaxe, already programmed to raise and lower my four towing pins and the sharks jaw. All I had to do was connect it to the receiver, flip a switch on the transmitter and it did all the rest. :embarrassed:

I am still working out all the mechanical connections to the electronics at the moment, hence why I have been asking about linear servos in the electronics bit. I now have 4 of those, with two more on the way. I had tried with ordinary serovs and cams on them but they took up too much room, these linear servo's are TINY! less than half a postage stamp in size.

Now if I can get me head (well not my head, somebody did the program for me) around stuff like this then you surely can! :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »

Sounds impressive.  I'll watch with interest........You never know, I might try it.

ken

inertia

« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

Sub-contractor's note: Ken's P94 was suffering from two dead diodes and a loose terminal. It has now been fixed and will be on its way back to Wales if I can get to the PO on the way to the pub this afternoon.................

DM

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2015, 04:58:14 pm »

Wow....What service.   :-))

Thank you Dave. 

Cheers

ken

inertia

« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2015, 06:46:32 pm »

On its way back, m'duck. We tries us bestest.
DM

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:19 pm »

On the way to the pub; that's the way to live:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

inertia

« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:27 pm »

:-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.