Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe St Germain  (Read 5455 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Robbe St Germain
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:05:20 pm »

Well, here we go again.
I had said to the boss some time ago I would like to build a fishing boat but it had to look right and needed to be crafted with some flair in the build, well that is what I said. {:-{
A kind gentleman on this site, and I am sure there are many sold me this Robbe St Germain kit and although old, we reckon 1950's, it was complete. Plank on frame :-)) lots of lovely wood all in good condition and a complete fittings kit.
I bought an electric fret saw some years ago and am I glad I did, it has never been used in ernest but it will be now all of the frames and ply hull parts varying from 8mm down to 4mm have to be cut out as they are only marked on the ply sheets. A steady hand will be needed {-)
I have made the boat stand as per instructions and have cut out the 3 parts which make up the keel this in 8mm ply. The instructions which seem good continue to refer to instructions other than the drawing and I have parts 1.1 to 1.10 which form a jig, cannot for the life of me see what the devil they are for or how they are to be used.
Has anybody out there made one of these and willing to sort me out so early in the build. I am attaching a few photo's just to get it all started as I propose to detail the complete build.
If anyone can help I would be grateful, thanks Chris G   

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe St Germain
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:20:51 pm »

Always cut to the outside of the line by about 0.5-1mm as its a lot easier to sand off a bit more than add a bit extra
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 04:30:49 pm »

I started this build blog 10 days ago and not a lot done since then. I was hoping to hear from another builder of this craft as I needed and will still need help and advice. Either the instructions and drawings are short or they expect the builder to know lots more than I do. However onwards and upwards as they say.
Apologies for 1950's, she is old but not that old >>:-(
I glued the three elements that make up the keel and backbone of the ship, (photo 1), having drilled pilot holes for the prop tube and the rudder tube. Nerve wracking as lining up a 4mm drill into 8mm ply is not easy. The instructions tell the builder to use a sharpened brass rod, not sure how that worked but I acquired through an often maligned auction site some long shaft 3/4/6mm drills still not easy but certainly worth the few bob they cost. The prop tube has to be opened up to 6mm but not before gluing a 1.5mm preformed ply strengthening piece both sides.
I have now glued two frames one fore and one aft, (photo 2&3)  these were easy to fit exactly upright and at right angles to the keel and I shall use these as a measurement a guide for the rest of the frames, ie distance apart and level, I do hope. ok2
While the glue on these two dry I will cut out some more frames, thank goodness for the scroll saw {-)       

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:07:38 am »

Thanks for that Darren,
I have 4 more frames fitted but am now held up whilst deciding about the motor and prop, at least one of the frames will have to be cut to allow for the motor bed so until I decide on the type and order and get it I dare not finish gluing these frames.
Still loving the build though. Regards Chris G 

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:29 am »

I run a little gruppner 400 motor in my trawler with a 30mm brass prop and its perfect gets up on the plane but not to fast or too slow if that makes sense

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:13 pm »

Well this story seems to go in 10 day cycles but at least things are progressing. I have now cut out and fitted all but two of the frames and am quite happy with the result. The remaining two will need to be cut to accommodate the motor which I finally ordered today after much deliberation and lots of advice from other Mayhemers. I will not glue these into place until I have checked them with the motor and how it will fit the frames and the prop tube.
My suspicions that I am short in instructions were confirmed when I read that stage 4 which is 'the hull planking' refers to "marked as A on the stern post" and "projecting lugs on the main frames at point B" I have no information on the plan that refers. {:-{
My cunning plan is to build the thing using page 1 of the drawings, because I only have page 1 and the pretty picture both of which feature on an earlier photo downloaded on here, and maybe a little common sense and lots of help from willing builders on this site.
It will end up quite a large boat with the top of the transom being 250mm from the bottom of the keel.
Thanks to all who have helped so far it is always good to receive comments, well nearly always <*<
Best regards Chris G 

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:11:54 pm »

I have chosen and had delivered the motor which is a Como Drills 919d series with a 6:1 gearbox. This has enabled me to check the lining up of the motor and prop shaft with the frames and cut and fit them.
I have braced the frames with 3 x 10mm poplar wood and already the whole thing feels solid, all the flex has gone and that is before the planking of the hull.
I will let all of this freshly glued wood to settle which will give me time to consider my next task <:( confusion reigns.

Regards Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »

Hello again.
I hope that you are all well and busy modelling now the winter is back. I have done very little on my fishing boat since May but started planking the hull a few weeks ago and this has kept me very busy since. Not an easy job and although this is not my first attempt at plank on frame it is the biggest and has the curviest hull shape which is good but makes for some exciting bends in the planks. I did send for some extra planks from C.M.B's as there seemed just enough in the kit but as some were less than perfect I am glad that I did. I have bought the MFA 919D geared motor and brass 4 bladed prop and prop shaft, nothing like being ready!
It will be good to finish the planking and to be able to take the hull into the garage for much sanding, filling and then more sanding possibly yet more filling. Then onto the deck, but that is for another day.
Regards Chris G     

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 10:18:16 pm »

Wow - she's looking great  :-))

Keep on going with the planking - not many more to go now  ok2

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 04:21:57 pm »

Looking good... :-))

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 03:21:08 pm »

Well, started again in ernest, the visit to the Model Boat Show in Leamington Spa raised enthusiasm levels and the promise of a rather lovely RNLI lifeboat kit for Christmas did the job. %%
I finished the planking, what a very long job and have now started to smooth the hull by sanding and the addition of P38 a great friend of mine. The hull could be simply sanded but I want a smooth gloss finish so the filler is essential. The prop shaft is fitted and I have made a rudder using plasticard and brass, none with the kit no prop or tube either come to that.
To give me some variety from filling and sanding I have trimmed and fitted the 7 parts that make up the deck after coating the inside of the hull with sanding sealer and varnish, both for protection more than appearance. I have also made a battery box to accommodate a 12v battery pack. The deck will then be planked.
That is about the sum total of my labours to present, when the bits arrive I will sort out the rudder system and servo, the deck can then be glued after cutting some inspection panels.
Back to sanding, filling and more sanding. 

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 04:00:36 pm »

Hello again.
The rubbing down, sanding and finishing of the hull is just about complete and I am delighted with it. I love the shape of the bows and am sure she will be a treat when she finally gets her bum wet. I bought aerosol sprays from Halfords, I have not used these before but they seem highly regarded by other Mayhem members so I decided to give them a go. Well I masked up and sprayed the primer and this went well but I chickened out at this stage and reverted to my favourite Humbrol and a good brush. Anti fouling went well as did the white line but I was hesitant when it came to the green as I cannot remember ever brush painting such a large area. In the end it worked well and after four coats I am delighted with the finish.
The next task is to plank the decks with access to below decks to get to motor, battery etc. Then onto superstructure and all of the pretty bits, missing parts continue to cause problems and frustration >:-o majority of the rest of the build will probably be as near to 'scratch' as I want to get.

My model building will now be put on hold for a few days to allow yours truly to be a Christmas cook, wine waiter and general dogs body for the family. So I hope that all friends on Mayhem have a wonderful holiday and that that old man in the red coat buys you all some useful and interesting bits for your models.

Here's wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a great 2016. Best Regards Chris G     

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »

The build is progressing albeit slowly, so many distractions and jobs that have to be done! Can't seem to get 'smiley faces' today.
Finished the deck with it being sanded and several coats of varnish, the hull is now painted although a few touch ups to do.
Have contacted both 'Cornwall model boats' and 'Modelling Timbers' for bits that are short in the kit as well as ordering some fabulous deck items from MT to make the boat look more realistic when finished.
Currently working on the superstructure which is causing lots of head scratching instructions are extremely poor. It takes the form of a box structure with a wrap around viewing area. The questions of when to paint and when to glaze keep going around in my head hope I get it right not much hope of a re-run.
All in all still enjoying the build, but most of all I love the model.
Take care Chris G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.